Jaguar?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilltryin

Attachments

• 20161127_152844_zpserfifeeo (1) (1) (1).jpg
    20161127_152844_zpserfifeeo (1) (1) (1).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 72
Even to a jag man it would be pretty hard to tell much from the pic. If you have access to the rearend( I take it that's what you're questioning), visit it and get some numbers off of it. There will be some way of id-ing it. Does look like a jag irs rear but I know squat about em...

Jaguar ( IRS ) Independent Rear Suspension

Jaguar / Daimler XJ6 Complete Independent Rear Suspension Assembly IRS

Complete Rear assembly as unbolted
Standard open Diff - ( Non LSD ).

3.07 Final Drive Ratio ( 43/14 Teeth )

quite popular here in New Zealand, look good on T's and A's with a bit of chrome.. and seem pretty solid too..

simple to adapt a good ride ..

Attachments

• 431667214[1].jpg
    431667214[1].jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 38
I can't tell which model it's from based on the picture BUT it looks like it's from a Jaguar XJ something. Have the wishbones been modified? If not then measure the width, if it's 61" it's an XJ rear. There should be a tag on the diff, if it's there then divide the little number (number of teeth on the the pinion) by the big number (number of teeth on the ring) and this will give you the ratio. All the 61" rears are basically the same and the most common. From the picture I can see it's still in it's original cage so it's probably untouched. Are there radius rods attached to it? It was common to install these rears without using any radius rods, which keep the wishbones from moving for/aft. This is kind of important because if it's been run hard the bearings in the wish bones could be wiped out and if this is the case it could damage the bearing pockets in the hubs (which are cast aluminium). There are are 4 sets of needle bearings in each side. I would replace these with bronze (oil light) bushings. I would also add radius rods to keep the wishbones from moving for/aft. This is also tricky because the wishbones need to pivot close the center of the rear. If the radius rods are too far out they will bind when the wishbones cycle up and down; which will also cause the bearings to wear out. There are a lot of parts in these (for a rear end). The bolt pattern is 5 X 4 3/4 BUT the axle hub is BIG. So stock GM wheels won't fit unless you make the center hole bigger. After market GM wheels will most likely fit just fine as the center hole is bigger than needed for a stock GM axle.

The pinion angle in the donor car was zero degrees. If you point the pinion up the wishbones won't be parallel to the road which will make the rear end act like it's steering the car on rough roads. Not a nice feeling... I know, I've put a few of these in my own cars. The first time I think I made every mistake you could make. In a light car I ditch the inside spring/shock and run an adjustable pair on the back side mounts. So far I've done 1 XKE rear and two XJ rears. They are nice rears but they are costly to do correctly. My current project is using an XJ rear with a 3.77 gear. I'll narrow it to 56" and I'm considering a drive shaft with CV joints at both ends so shaft angles won't matter.

There's a lot of information on these so it shouldn't be too hard to find parts.

Way to much technical data for this little brain to comprehend. I will try to get some more pics of it tomorrow. The question I get more than any is will I be able to find wheels for this rearend and I dont know what the bolt pattern is for the jaguar or the mustang ii front.

Way to much technical data for this little brain to comprehend. I will try to get some more pics of it tomorrow. The question I get more than any is will I be able to find wheels for this rearend and I dont know what the bolt pattern is for the jaguar or the mustang ii front.

The Jag rear is a Chevy pattern, 5 X 4 3/4". The Axle hub diameter is too big for a stock wheel though.

Latest posts

Back