Planning a later build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

Later on I'm going to build a fenderless hotrod, 29, 30 A or bobber truck, depends on what I find in a body. Plan on building the frame, 4 link and coil overs. This is going to be completely new to me, I've built drag cars, and 60 and 70's cars and trucks. I've been looking at builds on here and doing research. I'm going to start picking up some parts and need some help. What straight axle is the best to use? Need something that I can get disc brakes for. What is the best steering set up that doesn't have a bump steer problem? I planned on watching for a explorer, 8.8 rear with disc. I'd like the sedan type body for room, and I want it low, just not so low I'll have to do a large Z and have no room in the back. Any other info or things to watch out for would be appreciated. I'm going to finish my 51 Dodge and sell it, but I thought if I could start snooping around swap meets I may get a early start. Just don't want to end up buying stuff I can't use.

You might want to get some speed catalogs so you can familiarize yourself with buggy sprung parts since most of them, including disc brakes, can be bought new. My solution (not the only one) for avoiding bump steer is to keep everything parallel with the ground, wishbones and drag links ect.

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at Speedway and anything I can find on line. Plus I follow every build I can. I need to have a body first, but that will depend on what I find. I want something that is workable and not completely rusted away. I like the A sedan bodies. I'm 6 ft so I want something that has some room, not something that looks cool and would kill you to drive 50 miles.

Coil overs in the rear will make the frame "Z" bigger than some other options like air bags if your looking for room.

On the bump steer issue,if you are going with a buggy spring set up, it is said that a cross steer system is better. some guys use a chevy vega steering box. there is a company called Unisteer that makes a manual rack and pinion system that mounts the same way a vega steering box does and only has one tie rod that attaches to either the tie rod or the steering arm on the passenger side wheel.

Latest posts

Back