What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had give advise one time or another , but I didnt follow it my self ,,,,,,,,, so now Im paying for it , I got a 305 engine that had been took out of a 82 GMC Some one had put a points style dist. in it ,, and took the elect. distributor out .. so I didnt have another electronic to put back in its place ... INSTEAD OF BUYING ONE I thought heck I'll use this one ,, we have used them for years .. after replacing . cap, button , wires, & coil ... points looked new and the popped when I broke the gap and were set on 17ish.. After a few weekends off and on of trying to get it to run right ... Ive come to the conclusion something isnt right in the distributor ,, it fires sometimes and then quits.. then all good then skips when you do get it fired up , then good then quits ... no fire out of the coil wire and has fire to and from the coil (12volts) ... Im tired of tinkering with it so I ordered an electronic today . could be the condenser & points but I wanted electronic any way so .. its coming out,, Most likely this is the reason some one took it out in the first place [S

I've always thought using a 1-wire alternator and an HEI disributor works well and really cleans up the well too...love them little 305s!

small foot I messed up ... I always said throw the points out and get the HEI ,, well I was going the (cheaper ) way out ,,, so I thought ,,, some times the points work , next second no spark .. IDK.. If this new one fixs my problem Im gonna throw the points one in the junk pile thats for sure. we will see tomorrow evening if its not cold out

I've always thought using a 1-wire alternator and an HEI disributor works well and really cleans up the well too.

Exactly! I wanna see a carb and some plug wires and a distributor and not much else! These newfangled electrical/vacuum fuel injection and ignition setups block the view! :D

small foot I messed up ... I always said throw the points out and get the HEI ,, well I was going the (cheaper ) way out ,,, so I thought ,,, some times the points work , next second no spark .. IDK.. If this new one fixs my problem Im gonna throw the points one in the junk pile thats for sure. we will see tomorrow evening if its not cold out

I'm going the opposite direction = taking off the newer stuff and putting on the old. Paid $140 for Weiand intake and Edelbrock 600 carb, and $40 for a used but very clean looking distributor rebuilt with actual AC Delco (AMERICAN!) parts! No more clutter. [cl

And that was pretty much my weekend besides a little fiddlin' ... just to stay on topic. :)

Last edited:
can't get much simpler or cleaner than this...even self tunes![cl

Try that with a carb! lol

Attachments

• fastefi.jpg
    fastefi.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 12
... Ive come to the conclusion something isnt right in the distributor ,, it fires sometimes and then quits.. then all good then skips when you do get it fired up , then good then quits ... no fire out of the coil wire and has fire to and from the coil (12volts) ... Im tired of tinkering with it so I ordered an electronic today . could be the condenser & points but I wanted electronic any way so .. its coming out,, Most likely this is the reason some one took it out in the first place [S
YT, if that's a factory type coil, they are not meant to have 12 volts connected to them. You can hook 12 volts to a MSD coil with no problems but if hooking to a factory points style ignition a ballast resister is need then.
You're supposed to put a ballast resister inline to reduce it to 8 volts.
Maybe it's kicking out because of over heating.
Never the less when you change out to an electronic distributor the coil part will be eliminated.
I deleted that big pic :eek: Bruno was right :D

Last edited:
YT, if that's a factory type coil, they are not meant to have 12 volts connected to them. You can hook 12 volts to a MSD coil with no problems.
You're supposed to put a ballast resister inline to reduce it to 8 volts.
Maybe it's kicking out because of over heating.
Never the less when you change out to an electronic distributer the coil part will be eliminated.
I was thinking it sounded like a coil problem too. Although, I ran one on 12 volts for over a year, not knowing any better. It burned up points fast, but ran fine. Probably just beginner's luck.

Old Iron ,, that never crossed my mind ,,, I had to do that on my ford to reduce it down to 9 volts when running and 12 when starting ..... that could have been whats wrong ,,, either coil never did get even warm ,, I thought of the coil too . thats why I got a new one .. but it did the same thing ,,, Ive got the new dist. in the box in the truck If its not raining out tomorrow Ill push it back in the shop and work on it .. This will be one more elimination , but money well spent IMO

My daughter & her 3 demon spawn were here over the weekend. I was glad to see them come... and I was glad to see them go! The youngest helped me build a door for the nursery in the Chickmajal to corral the new batch of 24 Welsummer chicks! Took about an hour 1/2 & he stuck with me all the way & helped at every turn... I was pretty surprised because the fruit of my pork loin all have ADD! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 20
  • welsummer.jpg
    welsummer.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 21
  • chickmahal.jpg
    chickmahal.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 19
I finally was able to do something rod related, so I thought I would put it here, cause it happened this weekend, lol. We moved several months ago, and I have not been able to get away from the honey do list since....this weekend I worked this in as part of the list (clean up the back yard), not much, but something. As of right now all I have in this project is -950$. Long story.

Been sitting this way since we moved here. Yard art, the wheels are for another truck.

Found its frame, front section original, rear from a 98 s10 blazer.

Found some axles, I know its just held with rachet straps, but progress is progress.

Latest posts

Back