E brake

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of rear end is in your rod?:confused: I don't know why, but it seems like every rear end you find has the e-brake cables cut, mines the same way.

JB, here is what I have done. Like you, I also like a hand brake and have to have one to be legal. I bought two left hand 1987 Ranger pickup E-brake cables, [they are a nice length to work with]and [most old cables are either cut off or rusted solid], and installed them when I did the brakes. I then made a bracket under the floor near the back of the transmission to hold the front ends of the cables, made a yoke to pull both cables and installed a turnbuckle to adjust my brakes up once in a while. [Pic 1, the yellow line goes around most of the under floor linkage, including the bottom of the Ford truck hand brake, which is bolted to side of the transmission.] [Pic 2] is an above shot of the handbrake handle. pic3 is the bracket that holds the front end of the two cables, and an easy way of unlatching those odd little holders, by slipping a box-end wrench over the spring clips and squashing them down.

Attachments

• IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 38
  • E-brake popped.jpg
    E-brake popped.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 37
MMac, I like your set-up. I may just steal it, if you don't mind. :D
One question. I can't tell from the pic, but does your turnbuckle have a jam nut on one end to prevent "self adjusting"? Likely not a huge issue, just wondering.

E Brake for me is a must

I live on a hill with a steep gravel drive, bout 400` or so. I bought my place at a young age. Been here a little over 50 yrs.

My father one day told me, "son be sure that your e brake works". Why? If you ever go down your drive and have a brake failure you gone. Sure enough one day the rear wheel cyl on my 55 blew going down my hill. Thankfully I took my dads advise. I still today believe an e brake is a must. I have instilled this belief on my son and grandson.

Mount it how ever but get one.

A quick humor.

I was in my late teens and hung out at the local drive in`s. One day a strange street rod came in. We all went to look and check it out. Someone ask, "what kind of brakes it have? Owners reply, "air". Air???? Yeah air ! "Airey ya stop or airey ya don`t !!!

Skip, Do you think I would invent a complete emergency brake system without a self adjusting portion? ----------No, wait a minute, it would only adjust looser. No, I'm just BSing you. There is a lock nut on the front that is hard to see. I noticed that I put Coppercote on the turnbuckle threads so I could drive and enjoy this truck for the next 50 years.

Hey MM, I really like your dash light...[cl

Attachments

• dash light.jpg
    dash light.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back