my truck is too small

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
i am sorta leaning towards something like this
it would give me all the leg room i could ever want
and i would be able to carry stuff like a cooler etc.

an extra 8 inches of legroom would completely change the dynamics of driving this thing
my wife hates cramming herself in it.
i am really skinny and kinda short and it is tight for me
she is tall for a girl an buxom so she cant even drive it

an extra 8 inches of legroom would completely change the dynamics of driving this thing
my wife hates cramming herself in it.
i am really skinny and kinda short and it is tight for me
she is tall for a girl an buxom so she cant even drive it

What are you using for a seat ? If I had anything except the bomber seats I am using , I could not fit and drive my Pu with any kind of comfort . Not cheap , but bomber seats would be an easy way to pickup at least 4 of the inches you would like to have.If you have an automatic trans you could modify your brake pedal assembly to gain the other 4 inches I would think .

What are you using for a seat ? If I had anything except the bomber seats I am using , I could not fit and drive my Pu with any kind of comfort . Not cheap , but bomber seats would be an easy way to pickup at least 4 of the inches you would like to have.If you have an automatic trans you could modify your brake pedal assembly to gain the other 4 inches I would think .

i am using the smallest tiniest thinnest boat seats i could find and they are sitting on the floor.
there is no other way around the fact that
i need room
i also have to drive it 2 footed
1 for gas and 1 for brake
no room for any other setup

sell it and but a sedan/sedan delivery. Then you have the best of both worlds. A build to keep us occupied on here, you would gain much needed room, and Maybe, just maybe, it would keep you out of trouble up there. [cl

sell it and but a sedan/sedan delivery. Then you have the best of both worlds. A build to keep us occupied on here, you would gain much needed room, and Maybe, just maybe, it would keep you out of trouble up there. [cl

no shop
and i dont want another huge project anyhow
if i could do this in a few days i might think about it

Just adding a cap won't solve your leg room issues. The back of the cab is the problem point. So you kinda have 3 choices:

A) take the back of the cab off, slide it back to the rear and build the rest of the body in the middle to connect it all, add floors etc.

B) find a sedan delivery or Tudor body, sell the cab and bed, drop the new body onto your chassis.

C) move the back of the cab rearward the 8" you need making it an extended cab, shorten the bed the 8".

To me option B is quicker than A but will probably cost more up front. option A is cheaper initially but will require much more labor in the long run. Option C is probably the fastest and easiest solution to your issue. Just my $.02[;)

B^^^^^^^^ is a good choice!!!!!!
Billy, it is what it is.
There's no quick fix for what you want other than to sell what you have and buy something else.
The trailer idea is no good. Kills the value of your ride :(
Another fix is to take the rear windows from a 5 window coupe and graft them on the back of your cab.
An old Chevy would be cheaper than a Ford. For instance I have a 31 Chevy 5 window coupe that I'd take $200 for.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 15
Dang OI, you've given me heart palpitations. I need a roof for my '30 Ford roadster and your inexpensive Chevy roof would be just the ticket. Too bad that you live so far away from anywhere. I could have just buzzed down to your place in the pick-up and loaded it up before Billy got there. I would have had to drive right by Billy's place to get to yours though.
In the second picture you can see the front third of a Model A coupe that I was going to graft onto the rough roadster. I might as well graft on a roof too, right.

Attachments

• IMG_1104.jpg
    IMG_1104.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 17
Dang OI, you've given me heart palpitations. I need a roof for my '30 Ford roadster and your inexpensive Chevy roof would be just the ticket. Too bad that you live so far away from anywhere. I could have just buzzed down to your place in the pick-up and loaded it up before Billy got there. I would have had to drive right by Billy's place to get to yours though.
In the second picture you can see the front third of a Model A coupe that I was going to graft onto the rough roadster. I might as well graft on a roof too, right.
:p If no one buys this gem, I'm gonna build it this fall [P
Here's the cowl and doors to it :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 31
So how about the chassis? Is there anything on the frame that would get in your way if you moved the seats back? Would you come up against the rear suspension or anything?

I think you'd be better off taking a few drives on some back roads looking for materials rather than using that trailer.

If you are really brave, stretch it in the middle of the doors. With a square care, all that is needed is an extra set of doors. Or some good fab skills. :D

As you don't want a project right now, maybe look for a trade for something that fits better.

i agree that a modern trailer would not fit the scheme of things. Also, those babies are not cheap!

If it's not working for you and you don't have any sentimental issues, trade it for something bigger. You might wind up with boot trading your truck for a delivery or something bigger that will work. If you really don't want to worry about the drive train and you know what you have in this one, swap bodies...any way you go will involve some work except for trading vehicles.

My 2 cents Billy. If you can't take your Hunny Bunny with you for a ride it's time to move on....
I'm a big guy but back in the day when parts of me weren't so big I used to be able to comfortably drive a Austin Healy bug eye sprite. Couldn't even get into one now. Just another reason why I haven't built a T bucket yet.
As cool as they are the earlier the body style the smaller they are going to be. And as you know not only in length but in width.
Sell it and start to look for a 1937-8 and newer car. Post war would be even better. They make great crusiers in their stock form and if the time comes you have a shop the you can also do all sorts of mods to them. Or a post war truck as the prewar ones were smaller as well.
Good luck and here's to you getting back on the road with something that fits...
Torchie

Latest posts

Back