Trailer First... Bike Next?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christcrusader13

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Well in talks with my lovely bride I asked her if I could get myself a motor-sickle..... she said sure, after we get another house.... [cl

Fortunately we are in the process of looking for another homestead :D....

In the mean time I picked this trailer up from a buddy of mine.... Gt it from his uncle and had no use for it... so I was like sure....

Now the really cool part:cool:

Check out the axel that is used....

Attachments

• WP_20150209_17_54_09_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150209_17_54_09_Pro.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 63
  • WP_20150209_17_54_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150209_17_54_15_Pro.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 55
  • WP_20150209_17_54_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150209_17_54_22_Pro.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_20150209_17_54_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150209_17_54_35_Pro.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 51
Bikes make good ok i'm bored with this project time for a diversion [S

Attachments

• First rolling chassis.jpg
    First rolling chassis.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 34
Make sure the new house has a big garage, you deserve it! A Harley Heritage Soft tail would sure look nice on that trailer:D

I pulled one of them and it looked just like that one .. as long as it was loaded it wasnt that bad but I took it down a dirt road about 30 mph or so and 1 tire hit a good pot hole ,, and i seen the side of the tire above my tailgate at one time I think it was trying to flip up-side down ... be care full with that thing

Thanks for all the comments guys.... I'm thining about using the trailer for shows pulling it behing my 64 C-10? Maybe I'll grab some 6 lug ralley wheels and paint them to match.... It'd be cool to make a bobber and show it withthe truck maybe?[S

What type of suspension would you guys recomment just a single leaf from a S-10 or something?

trailer first ???

Why get a bike if your going to trailer it? I`ve been a biker most of my life until my health at 70 said no mo` bikes.

I feel your outlook on bikes is not the right view. You ride bikes not trailer them. If you gotta have the d--n trailer use it to haul home another project bike.

Easy Dude

Why get a bike if your going to trailer it? I`ve been a biker most of my life until my health at 70 said no mo` bikes.

I feel your outlook on bikes is not the right view. You ride bikes not trailer them. If you gotta have the d--n trailer use it to haul home another project bike.

We all have different ideas and plans :D

Sorry to hear you can't ride. I'll be 70 in july and hope to ride another decade or so [S
You saw my project bike
Here's my daily scooter [cl

Attachments

• MC021.jpg
    MC021.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 27

Here are a few things to consider...

The title trailer 1st is because I don't currently have a rat bike.... but that is to come...

1st .... if you read the post, the only reason I would trailer a bike is behind my rat rod truck/ show truck for show purposes. Assuming that's the only time my bike would see the road is a HUGE assumption and misconceptions.

2nd if you look at my builds you will see i don't bild anything to sit around I build it to drive it or ride it i nthe case of a bike.

It wouldn't do me any good to have a shiney show car or shiney show bike because If I can't use it it is worthless to me, I don't like anything that just sits...

I love riding and I love rats so I thought incorporating the two would be fun to do.

I've included some pictures to show you what I'm thinking

And the trailer was a cheapo I picked up from a friend... so I figured why not rat it out and make it more useful...

I don't believe in trailer queens... just not my thing, I talked to a guy who bilt a 69 camaro and had on;y driven it 15 miles in the last 10 years and had trailered it over 12,000 miles.... there is no way I could ever do that!

Attachments

• 431a3d8c7cf2e932cce387c90c810d47.jpg
    431a3d8c7cf2e932cce387c90c810d47.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 30
  • rat-rod-truck-and-bike.jpg
    rat-rod-truck-and-bike.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 34
Well Said CC

Here are a few things to consider...

The title trailer 1st is because I don't currently have a rat bike.... but that is to come...

1st .... if you read the post, the only reason I would trailer a bike is behind my rat rod truck/ show truck for show purposes. Assuming that's the only time my bike would see the road is a HUGE assumption and misconceptions.

2nd if you look at my builds you will see i don't bild anything to sit around I build it to drive it or ride it i nthe case of a bike.

It wouldn't do me any good to have a shiney show car or shiney show bike because If I can't use it it is worthless to me, I don't like anything that just sits...

I love riding and I love rats so I thought incorporating the two would be fun to do.

I've included some pictures to show you what I'm thinking

And the trailer was a cheapo I picked up from a friend... so I figured why not rat it out and make it more useful...

I don't believe in trailer queens... just not my thing, I talked to a guy who bilt a 69 camaro and had on;y driven it 15 miles in the last 10 years and had trailered it over 12,000 miles.... there is no way I could ever do that!

[cl[cl[cl[cl[cl

Pictures, not many though

Moved to this thread so as to not be a thread thief

CC you and forbigpictuer asked for pix. Do have many I only been at this one a few months.

it was a crate c ase when i got it.

Enjoy

20140703_184118_zps4inttw5r.jpg

20150216_154138_zpsxd7sr2ei.jpg

20150228_133114_zpsojreadkl.jpg

That is NICE!!!!! I can take that off your hands.... I know that elky has been keeping you busy :D

I will have to pick your brain when the time comes for me to build mine :D

Thanks Guys

CC this is for when i am tired of the elky.

Only changes so far is adding four inches to the swingarm and going back to a front drum brake, i just like the look and i don't ride as crazy as i once did so it's got plenty of stop.

CC 13.....about that trailer axle without suspension....most farm supply stores sell trailer parts like hubs, fenders, U-bolts and leaf springs. If there's one near you they may have a solution to your lack of spring-dom.

Most light duty springs for small trailers will be 'slipper' springs, lacking an actual bolted rear attachment. Plus they will be much shorter in length than a conventional car or truck spring. Narrower and very inexpensive too.

Throw on some ...

...ratty, rusty fenders.

Attachments

• rat trailer.JPG
    rat trailer.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 15
  • rat trailer1.JPG
    rat trailer1.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back