'48 Olds

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Well, got a car, got a concept, now I gotta get something done! 1948 Oldsmobile Dynamic 78

This is what I got:

Attachments

• oldsstkfweb.jpg
    oldsstkfweb.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 626
  • oldsstksweb.jpg
    oldsstksweb.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 604
Last edited:
And this is kinda where I wanna go with it. Dropped to the dirt first, then a chop, and maybe down the road a big section.

Concepts: 1-2 chop/drop 3-4 chop/drop/section

Attachments

• oldscpslfweb.jpg
    oldscpslfweb.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 307
  • oldscpslsweb.jpg
    oldscpslsweb.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 466
  • oldssmashfweb.jpg
    oldssmashfweb.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 323
  • oldsmashsweb.jpg
    oldsmashsweb.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 747
man looks cool,, it makes me sick , i can find no tin down here, its rotted out, if it aint its to high to buy,, the south has lost alot of cool stuff to the mother nature effect,, and the purist hold the good stuff and it mind as well be made of gold

It ain't much better around here, the vintage stuff just isn't out there. I just got real lucky on this one. It's hard enough finding anything from the 60's. Whats more, it was on craigs list and in the paper for over 2 weeks while I was on vacation. Very little rot :), blown motor :(, solid frame :), and ALL the trim :D - $500. That still leaves me 46 dollars, 12 cents, and a cat eye marble for my budget. I'm happy.

It ain't much better around here, the vintage stuff just isn't out there. I just got real lucky on this one. It's hard enough finding anything from the 60's. Whats more, it was on craigs list and in the paper for over 2 weeks while I was on vacation. Very little rot :), blown motor :(, solid frame :), and ALL the trim :D - $500. That still leaves me 46 dollars, 12 cents, and a cat eye marble for my budget. I'm happy.

man thats a 2500.00 car dowbn here if it was a two door , 3000 or more, i found a 2 door 48 coupe, pans gone, rest still there,, 2500.00 the last i check i just cant go there,, a 48 chevy 2 door sedan , solid 3000.00 but when ya talk to the guy , he acts like a horse rearend,, the cheapest i have found is another 2 door if ya blow on it it will blow away 1000.oo,,:mad:,, and anything in the pre war , forget about it,, i know its the way things are, buut what kills me,, theres a guy hes 84 got the car heaven 30"s on up to a gt 350 69 convert,, and a huge shop plus leanto sheads full of cars,, sell ya nothing,, i love this stuf, but not enuff to be greedy or a hoard,, i like to see more on the road,, ya know what i mean

Last edited:
that is AWESOME...500$ too...in cali it would be worth upwards of 3000...but if anyone finds one in orange county for 500 or less let me know LOL

Well, final got something to report about the '48. Got a motor and a parts car. A slightly built 350 from a 69 Chevelle, and a '85 Cutlass - same track width. I aleady removed the springs on one side to see what kind of height issues I was going to be working with. Can get the frame down to 2-3/4 from the ground less springs. I figure 2" drop spindles and a 2" Z for the back will get the frame rails 1" from the ground on 14's. I'm going to use 15's though, so that means a channel to get the rockers in the dirt. Gotta figure out the air bag deal now.

Also started to strip the '48 motor and found out it wasn't seized. Rod snapped and punched a whole in the block. Gonna stash it for now and try to make it run again in the future - might be a waste of time, but what the heck?

Oh yeah - the wife was overjoyed when I brought the Cutlass home!

Attachments

• 350.jpg
    350.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 135
  • CUTLASS.jpg
    CUTLASS.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 135
Sweet. Did the sbc come with that gnome air cleaner? Good deal. They make lots of suspension goodies like drop spindles and springs for those GM G-Bodies.

You asked for it now I'm gonna give my opinion. I think if you chop it like pictured it needs to be sectioned, if not the chop needs to be done more in the back than front. My2cents

You asked for it now I'm gonna give my opinion. I think if you chop it like pictured it needs to be sectioned, if not the chop needs to be done more in the back than front. My2cents

Looking back, I see what you mean. If I chop it only, I'll probably lower the entire rear (minus fenders), like I did on the sectioned one. Long time to that point though....

Haven't been keeping up on this like I should. Things are about to start poppin' now. I found a guy to do my frame welding. But before I get to that, here's what I've been working on.

I put in an air ride system. Had to cut the front pockets about 2" up and I still need to weld in the rear axle brackets, but it's essentially good to go. For those interested - it was a kit with Slam Specialties R7 bags (8" lift), front/back - side/side system. Eventually I want to go to an engine driven compressor. The tank is set up temporary.

Attachments

• frontbag.jpg
    frontbag.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 130
  • rearbag.jpg
    rearbag.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 136
  • airtank.jpg
    airtank.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 128
Also got the frame where I need it to weld in the new rails. Stretched it 17" and the front now sits about 1.5" lower than the back. Also jigged up some crossbracing and temp. bracing legs. 3x2x.25 rec. tube dropped 7.5" in back and 5.75" in front. I notched out enough space where the new rails will attach so I can temporarily leave the old rails in for stabilty. So this is how it sits until Jake brings back the rail sections he took to weld.

Attachments

• framestretched.jpg
    framestretched.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 150
  • framefront.jpg
    framefront.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 144
  • framerear.jpg
    framerear.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 146
If only I still had my Olds I'da picked up them grills from your donor:D

Great start and great deal on the car[dr