I'm Gonna Build A Dragster!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much fun! Now I want to put the 38 on the back burner and play with the new altered.

Is there a cure for automotive ADD?

The drag strips have opened here in the great northland. I moved the dragster out of storage in the back garage to the front garage. Hoping to get to the strip in a few weeks.
Today I made this pointer and scale arrangement for fine adjustment of ignition timing. Easier than trying to see a timing light in bright sun. It won't tell me what the timing is but I can work from a base line and change timing in small increments in the direction that improves performance..

One night the drag racing fairy came to me when I was sound asleep in my bed. She whispered"Traction" in my ear. Next day I scoured Craigslist and found these 26 by 8 1/2" Mickeys. I had to have them removed from the Chevy rims and mounted on these Ford rims. It cost $105.00 for labor. Hghway robbery, I say. The Ford rims were sandblasted and painted with cast iron grey. Will get Moon spun aluminum discs later for that old time look.Test and Tune next Saturday. Should be in the 12's.

I headed west yesterday and in only two hours I was at the 1/8th mile drag strip for Test and Tune. It took a couple runs to get used to the car and then I cranked off a 7.87 @ 91.52 mph. Equivalent 1/4 mile numbers are 12.36 @ 113.48 mph. My previous best was a 13.07 high gear only run. The slicks never spun. I did no tuning, except for fuel gushing out of the secondary bowl. Got to redesign the cockpit to make it easier to get my old bones out of the car. Rain was moving in so I hightailed it for home after three runs. Hoping to find an e.t. reduction of .36 seconds next time out.

I didn't take any pics of the car but here is an ear splitting contraption that was running pass after pass.
Yes, sc5080, I've got my reservation number for the Meltdown Drags. Hope to meet you and Saxxon and the rest of the Winnipegers there.

Is there a rule about the driver being stroked? :eek: Too soon?[S Everything must be good with the health if you're hitting the strip. Proud of you for not rolling over and taking it. [cl

Never fear, Todd. My discharge orders from the hospital state: "You may resume normal activities as tolerated". And I can alway tolerate drag racing. I'll admit, loading and unloading the car on and off the trailer was a bit tiring.
I've got some ideas on how to make it easier to get out of the car so I pulled the seat and floor pan out tonight.

Yes, sc5080, I've got my reservation number for the Meltdown Drags. Hope to meet you and Saxxon and the rest of the Winnipegers there.

That's great news Bob. Very much looking forward to meeting you. Unfortunately things are looking a little bleak for getting the T finished in time but I'm still trying. I'll be there with or without though. We are confirmed with the Scout and the Prefect.

The Meltdown Drags in Byron, Ill. is only a few weeks away. Boy, am I excited! The wheels I mounted the slicks to were not period correct so I mounted some screw-on Moon discs. That's much better.

I mentioned in an earlier post I mentioned I had some ideas to make it easier for an old fossil to get out of the car. Two foot wells were put in the floor so I sit in a more chair-like position. I already cut a couple hand holds in the cowl to pull myself up with. It's working pretty good.
Also, previously I had a dual master cylinder with both sections "Y'd" together for this rear brake only appliction. The pedal was extremely hard and solidlly at the top. Replaced it with this Craigslist WIllwood pedal and Howe master cylinder. Feels real good now.

Last edited:

I made it to the Meltdown Drags in Byron, Ill. It was hot and humid but that didn't stop about 500 drag cars no newer than 1966 and visually period correct. I made 6 runs and ran a best fo 12.45 @ 109.57 mph.There's more in the car though. I'm just getting the starting line technique down and staying in it til the finish line. The Meltdown volunteers, drag strip staff and other racers are the best. The best event of the year. Tons of pics on the H--B site and some pretty good videos on You Tube. Just enter Meltdown Drags 2015. You might even see the old guy in one.

Latest posts

Back