My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And my payment for the radiator was refunded..... now back to the hunt for another.... Guessing this next show I wanted to go to is out of my reach now. Less than 2 weeks away and no cooling system..... SMH

New radiator on the move, hopefully have it this week. So hopefully by next week I have it modified and installed. Still hoping to make that show, but we shall see.

mmmmmmmmmm new parts.......... Bigger 3 core, just in case I ever want to put in a bigger mill.

IMG_20140717_220314_908_zps9jj87e2i.jpg

And that is my buddy from Adkins Racing checking it out to modify it..... Hopefully I have it back in a couple days....

Nice looking rad!

The nice thing about aluminum is that the cores are stronger, so you can also get 2 core rads with 1-1/2" tubes, so they flow and cool much better than a regular 4 core copper-brass rad. Mine is a 2-core with 1-1/4" tubes and I have no cooling issues whatsoever. A lot of people haven't learnt yet that you don't need a 3 or 4 core rad anymore, that tube size is now an important factor.

The modifications look great, I hope it works well!

Radiator dropped off tonight. Looks good! Good to have a neighbor interested in the same crap as me. Need to modify the mounts on the rat since this radiator is just a bit wider than the old one. Hopefully get that back in and take the truck for a drive Tuesday.

I was once told if you want to move an inlet on a radiator then you need to pipe it back to the corner it came from. Otherwise you pretty much effectively loose the lower portion of the radiator below the inlet. The guy that did the welding said the same thing. Since I am using a bigger radiator, I would have probably been fine, but if I ever wanted to put in a bigger mill I probably would have wished I did this. So, no time like the present. Besides, it makes sense in my head.

New radiator installed, drove it around a bit, then headed for its farthest drive so far. Clocked almost 60 miles on it saturday and sunday. Everything worked great! No heat issues, towed the camper for that 60 miles also, cruised down the road with no fan running about 190-195 with no issues. Turned the fan on in town just to be safe, but don't think I needed it. By GPS had it up to about 52MPH was the fastest we went but it was all back roads so didn't want to push it any harder than that. Made it to the show in fine style, even passed 3 cops during the trip, they left me alone.
PantyRaid2014001_zpsdb56462f.jpg

Next I want to play a bit with the shocks to improve ride quality, it is pretty stiff..... On a smooth road it is great, but otherwise it rides a little hard.

Got to take it to one more show Saturday. Though the weather was not ideal Istill had a blast and people loved it. I was the only rat in the show but clearly a crowd favorite!
IMG_20141018_135640_112_zps2fkxxtix.jpg

I totally love your build! And the teardrop trailer is fantastic.!
Now I'm going to have to think about getting a teardrop..
Thanks a lot!
Your handle is fitting... Never done.

Latest posts

Back