54 Studebaker build. Where do I go from here? Seriously.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So i had a few hours to tinker the other day while i await my radiator and model A grill shell to come in. I also picked up some steel at the local salvage yard/steel supplier to build my new motor mounts to replace the crappy ones that are on the truck now (the motor was mounted crooked and the welds didn't penetrate from the PO's job). I was able to move the front axle forward 14". I relocated the shackle mount and the rear spring mount in a location that worked. I'm ordering shocks next. Here are a few pix of the extended front axle. I also included a before pix of the factory location. Yes, this eliminates the use of factory fenders that I don't have, but I'm still going for a custom look without the hood and fenders. I'm also debating on the headers. I can go with shortys or the t bucket style. what do you think? I ordered a large lot of old beer cans from Ebay for my flooring. My plan is a wood cab floor covered by beer cans that are either crushed or had their tops and bottoms cut off and laid flat to the wood, and then i'm putting heavy rusty wire mesh steel over that. Should be somewhat unique and very durable.

Attachments

• baker1.jpg
    baker1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 32
  • baker4.jpg
    baker4.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 38
  • baker2.jpg
    baker2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 35
  • baker3.jpg
    baker3.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 36
I'm also working on the brakes. I have a mid 80's 10 bolt rear with drums and a '49 Baker truck front axle with the gm converted hubs from a 76 chevy carprice complete with rotors. I am ordering new calipers for this and looking at this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/400333075097?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT for $134 or just buying a complete replacement firewall set up from rockauto.com that would be a master cylinder and booster that is for this 76 caprice for $105 plus the proportioning valve and the actual brake pedal and switch. I would think the 8" ebay kit from the hot rod parts guy would work, but i'm no brake expert... Any thoughts? I'm trying not to get involved in too many projects at once but i'm gathering info and buying some parts... Thanks. Also, i have a hard time spending $220 on brackets to go from studebaker axle to gm calipers when i can fab my own...

That eBay brake set up looks just like what I bought from Speedway motors and gave a lot more for. It works great with my 12" front Lincoln drums and 10" rear Fairlane drums. Go to my build thread and you can see what it looks like installed.

So i decided to cut off the existing motor mounts. They had the engine in out of level and they had virtually no penetration into the frame. The bottom half of the 'custom' mounts didn't even attach the the lower part of the frame channel. My design is in progress. I have it tacked in place and level. I lowered the transmission angle to meet up with the rear end at a better angle. I am toying with some different ideas for gusseting the mounts for rigidity. I am also going to weld a brace piece of steel in between the mount (rectangular tubing) and the top of the frame channel as well as the bottom. I thought about welding my gussets as more of a "tripod" look with (4) 1/2" solid rods welded at an angle from the four corners of the mount closest to where the engine mount is bolted going back to the top and bottom sections of the frame channel. I think it would be rigid and look unique. What do you think? Not sure if i explained it well. It would look like a 4 legged tripod from the frame to the mount... I also got to play with my new plasma cutter.... it was a blast!! Kind of like a skid loader. Every man should own one.

Attachments

• bakermount1.jpg
    bakermount1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 19
  • bakermount2.jpg
    bakermount2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 18
  • bakermount4.jpg
    bakermount4.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 17
  • bakermount3.jpg
    bakermount3.jpg