Hodge Podge Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you are right. Sure do like the lines on it, but getting the curved hood line at the back to match up with the straighter line on the cab would be quite a challenge.

I think the cab needs to move back just a little, or maybe it will look ok when you get it leveled up. I think the Frieghtliner grill is gonna look too big, just my 2 cents.

Agreed. The front of the gas tank is in the way and the front bed mount, but am going to remove those and move it back a little. The rear cab mount is tucked under the back of the body right now, but might as well get rid of that too since it will be dead weight. Here's a closeup of that area:

clearance_zpsf60a228b.jpg

The gas tank actually extends forward under the cab as it sits. The frame starts to curve up about 8-10" behind the cab, so may not be a problem. The trans sits up pretty high too, but should clear when moved back. Not sure until I get all that other stuff out of the way and retry the fit.

If I use that grille, it will be narrowed and shortened and maybe V shaped. First things first, though...

Last edited:
Progress!!!

Decided to go Rambo on this mofo today and dropped the gas tank completely out, cut off the original rear cab mounts and front bed mounts which were in the way, slung the cab over and put wheels back on. I left the crossover piece that holds the front of the gas tank on the frame for now, but that may come off as well. Doing that would allow the rear of the cab to sit down on the frame another 3 or 4". I kinda like the raked body look as it sits:

P7030187_zps88b9067b.jpg

I can go forward or back with the cab, but in this pic you can see where the back of the trans is higher than the tunnel on the cab. Front of the cab is about 2 or 3" above the frame:

P7030186_zpsb19bd482.jpg

Open to suggestions as to final position and impressions. :)

If you are using front fenders, etc., you will need to center the wheel openings over the wheels, then work backwards. That gives you your cab location. Once you know that, you can do a bit of surgery to the floorboards to fit around the trans. I spent a long time fitting my 38 to the S10 frame and making everything line up. Kind of like a puzzle where some of the parts don't quite match. Slow is good when you don't have a set of directions. Any 55 to 59 fenders will work for positioning the cab. All that said, It looks to me like the cab is way too far back for the front fenders to land over the tires. So, once that is sorted out, the tank might be ok. Maybe even the bed mounts that you cut off. :)

If you are using front fenders, etc., you will need to center the wheel openings over the wheels, then work backwards. That gives you your cab location. Once you know that, you can do a bit of surgery to the floorboards to fit around the trans. I spent a long time fitting my 38 to the S10 frame and making everything line up. Kind of like a puzzle where some of the parts don't quite match. Slow is good when you don't have a set of directions. Any 55 to 59 fenders will work for positioning the cab. All that said, It looks to me like the cab is way too far back for the front fenders to land over the tires. So, once that is sorted out, the tank might be ok. Maybe even the bed mounts that you cut off. :)

If you don't have fenders to fit on it right now, measure the distance from the front of the door opening to the center-line of the front wheels on the other tri-5 truck. It will have to be the same. You do have instructions. Cool!

If you don't have fenders to fit on it right now, measure the distance from the front of the door opening to the center-line of the front wheels on the other tri-5 truck. It will have to be the same. You do have instructions. Cool!

Good thinking! I have a "template" parked right behind this one if I go with the stock front end bits. :p

Don't have any fenders or hood or front sheet metal at all. Wish I did! That would surely make things easier. It's all "up in the air" right now, so to speak.

Will probably remove the trans cover panel and make something else, so that's not a big deal either. Going to be using the '94 steering column and should have kept the pedals from the donor, but have other options from previous projects.

I kinda like the way it looks though. Would like to keep the rake and maybe lower once the panel is out. We'll see... Thanks for the comments. :)

This morning I am wondering if the I-H body would fit on this with all the hackin' and hewin' done. Do I really want to take the Chevy off again to try it? Now that I have more experience with the engine hoist method for lifting, might not be so bad. Hmmm. Gotta look at some pics...

Then looking at the two cabs, the I-H has more bolt-in panels on the floor and lower cowl area that would easily give more clearance for the trans (which I might be able to lower) and will also take less work go make things happen, or at least it appears that way. So, off comes the Chevy and try the International again. Besides, it's more Hodge Podge this way. LOL

Last edited:
I don't think you have a cab you are satified with yet................

Actually, I tried the International back on and it sits too high:

P7040188_zpsc407ab25.jpg

Not going to attempt body drop or channel on my first attempt, so going back to the Chevy. Also cut out that offending cross piece, so I can put it wherever I want it! Two steps forward, one step back .. or three. Who cares! I like the way the '56 sat on there, so it's going back on to stay!

P7030187_zps88b9067b.jpg

Yeah, that's it. :)

Today it is back to Chevy on Chevy and gonna stay that way!

P7050189_zpsa88a5721.jpg

As you can see, the body sits flat on the frame. Lost my rake a little bit, but it is not attached or in final position yet, so can play with it still. Also removed most of the screws from the trans cover plate and here is how it currently sits:

P7050190_zps7694bceb.jpg

Up a couple inches in the front, and if I drop the trans cross member down under the frame, it should clear.

I also measured off the other truck from hub center to door opening, and this one is sitting farther back, almost a foot. No natter, since I doubt it will get front sheet metal for a while anyway, if ever, and I can always move the body. For now, I am a happy boy and ready to move on with assembly! :)

Success !!!!!

... removed most of the screws from the trans cover plate and it WAS up a couple inches in the front ...

Not any more it's not! I unbolted and jacked up the trans (by the driveshaft) and then took out the support, cut a couple notches and bolted it back on under the frame. Tunnel cover is now flush! [cl

It doesn't look like the engine is tilted at all. In fact, the only noticeable change is the cover laying flat again. Even got more clearance for the tranny pan out of the deal. Okay, the cat is gonna rub, but I don't think that will be there much longer anyway. :D

And now, a question for you knowledgeable ones: There is an O2 sensor just before the catalytic converter, and I am thinking of going true duals on this thing, or maybe dump the exhaust behind the wheels. Does anyone know what that O2 sensor actually does, and how crucial it is? And if so, how to deal with it - move it? ditch it? put in a fooler resistor of some kind? TIA...

Never mind. Found this: "Chevrolet C1500 Oxygen Sensor continually tracks how much oxygen which is feeding your car or truck's engine cylinders. Your oxygen sensor functions in combination with your car's data processor to determine whether the fuel mix provided to your motor needs to be adjusted." Better leave it alone for now.

Last edited:
Glad we could help on that sensor.

Google is my home page. ;)

Looking at photos and think I am going to rake the body again and move it forward a bit. Think I like the previous version better than this flat mounted one. Opinions?

Last edited:
Took some parts off today and started to look at putting the '94 steering column in. It means I am going to have to hack at that lovely sealed cowl. Damn ... Also pulled out some pedals from a BMW e36 I had, some gauges and stuff that I've collected over the years and hunted down a more a propos radiator off CL. In case anyone wanted to know ... LOL

Went and bought the '49 Chevy radiator for $30 with a free trans cooler (generic) that is going to be perfect behind the trimmed grille (when I get to that). Then came home and decided to move the body forward about 6" and put the rake back on it:

P7060191_zpsab095f40.jpg

Time to install the steering column and had to cut a notch in the cowl to raise it up. Hole saw was a complete waste of time, so back to the side grinder and made an ugly slot instead:

P7060193_zps5c6c98bd.jpg

I'll make it "pretty" later. View from inside the cab, tilt wheel all the way up and sort of where it will end up. It can move back some, but all the electrical connections are in the way unless I remove part of the dash brace. We'll see...

P7060192_zps5536f7a9.jpg

Maybe not too thrilling for you more experienced folks, but my first time trying to build something out of mis-matched pieces, so every little victory is HUGE! :)

Maybe not too thrilling for you more experienced folks, but my first time trying to build something out of mis-matched pieces, so every little victory is HUGE! :)
I love those little victories!

Last weekend's swap meet gained me some long awaited hood side panels for my 38.

When you get that cab situated where it will live, you may have to shorten the steering intermediate shaft. I spent a lot of time sorting that one out, but it was way cool once I got it.

Keep playing.

I just remembered, there used to be a 57 truck like that running around this area that had a 57 Chevy car front clip on it. It looked good and strange at the same time............

I love those little victories!

When you get that cab situated where it will live, you may have to shorten the steering intermediate shaft. I spent a lot of time sorting that one out, but it was way cool once I got it.

Keep playing.

Yup, still going to be adjusting where the cab sits and the steering column. Right now I have lots of room on the inter shaft, so not too concerned with that. The column will move back once I get the bracket out of the way of the electronics, and maybe the body too. Got the trans lump clearance issue back again. Always somethin'! :D

I just remembered, there used to be a 57 truck like that running around this area that had a 57 Chevy car front clip on it. It looked good and strange at the same time............

Wow, that would be strange. Might have seen a photo like that somewhere as well as the rat rod that someone used the '57 car rear fenders and tail fins on the back, and another one with Pontiac or somesuch rear on it. All kinds of goofy possibilities out there. I guess that's part of the creative aspect of this hobby - good or bad. LOL

By the way, I figured what I have into this right now. Not including the tune-up parts I didn't actually need, I am at $995 and don't expect a whole lot more than that. Some door latches and a windshield and the rest from stuff I've hoarded from other car projects. Not bad! ;)

Okay, I am calling MAJOR victory today! Got the steering column installed and bolted to the dash, and feels good and SOLID !!! Didn't have to do anything with the intermediate shaft at all, almost like it was made for this! Will have to shorten the shift link arm, though since it is way too long and there is a bend just above where it needs to be, so will cut that off and put the bolt in, and have shiftiness as well! Oh happy happy, joy joy! :D

This will also determine where the final body position will be (glad I thought of this first!), so will square it up and bolt 'er down! Progress is just SOOOOO so good.

Latest posts

Back