1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ta be honest with ya, I didn't like the gold chassis parts until now.
Never second guess the master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just finished reading this entire thread. Took me two whole evenings but I enjoyed every minute of it.
Very nice car you created and what an inspiration this has been for someone like me just getting into the hobby and for that I thank you.
This is my first post as I generally like to sit back and take everything in but I have a question though.Did you ever think of extending the front fenders down in the front to fill the gap between them and the front bumper? I only ask because you have received a few ideas out there and you took them or left them and I respect that as this is your build and I don't want to be one of those guys you just wish would shut up because they can't see what you see. (Perhaps I just crossed that line)
When the guys were talking about the driving lights and the gravel guard I felt like the kid in the back of the class with his hand way up saying "pick me pick me I know the answer", but was intrigued to just read on and see where you went.
That's my critique if you will, but man you really nailed it with this car, even if it is shiny lol. Very very cool.

Ta be honest with ya, I didn't like the gold chassis parts until now.
Never second guess the master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Actually, I just used colors I had on hand, also looking to change things up a bit..

I just finished reading this entire thread. Took me two whole evenings but I enjoyed every minute of it.
Very nice car you created and what an inspiration this has been for someone like me just getting into the hobby and for that I thank you.
This is my first post as I generally like to sit back and take everything in but I have a question though.Did you ever think of extending the front fenders down in the front to fill the gap between them and the front bumper? I only ask because you have received a few ideas out there and you took them or left them and I respect that as this is your build and I don't want to be one of those guys you just wish would shut up because they can't see what you see. (Perhaps I just crossed that line)
When the guys were talking about the driving lights and the gravel guard I felt like the kid in the back of the class with his hand way up saying "pick me pick me I know the answer", but was intrigued to just read on and see where you went.
That's my critique if you will, but man you really nailed it with this car, even if it is shiny lol. Very very cool.

Thanks for the input - though I'm past changing the shape of the front fenders, I thought I'd do a photoshop of your idea anyhoo. I was concerned that bringing the fender edges down would make the front end too heavy looking, but it doesn't look to bad actually.... If I'd mounted the bumper higher, that gap wouldn't be there but then the grille would be obscured and the chin would hang below the bumper...
6 of one and half a dozen of the other I guess...[S

Attachments

• DSC00489.jpg
    DSC00489.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC00494.jpg
    DSC00494.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC00487.jpg
    DSC00487.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00364z.jpg
    DSC00364z.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 113
I thought I'd do a photoshop of your idea anyhoo. I was concerned that bringing the fender edges down would make the front end too heavy looking, but it doesn't look to bad actually.... If I'd mounted the bumper higher, that gap wouldn't be there but then the grille would be obscured and the chin would hang below the bumper...

Extending the front edge of the front fender looks like it puts it in line with the back edge of the rear fender. It actually looks pretty good. But the only time it'll look like that is if someone gets low to the ground. Any other perspective and the bottom edge will most likely be visible behind the bumper. Once everything is shiny it'll look good either way. I think the bumper is exactly where it belongs...

Thanks! Actually, I just used colors I had on hand, also looking to change things up a bit..

Thanks for the input - though I'm past changing the shape of the front fenders, I thought I'd do a photoshop of your idea anyhoo. I was concerned that bringing the fender edges down would make the front end too heavy looking, but it doesn't look to bad actually.... If I'd mounted the bumper higher, that gap wouldn't be there but then the grille would be obscured and the chin would hang below the bumper...

Wow, I must say that Photoshop looks awesome, lower and meaner. Thanks for taking the time to entertain the idea.
I appogize in advance if my two cents got your wheels turning any more than they need to be.
Thanks again.

Love that concept, man after my own heart [cl

It's turning out just great. I hope your not in a hurry to "make it shiny" [S
It's looking Boss, Bomb, Bitchen, Bee's knees, etc:eek: The way it is [dr
Thank you for the entertainment and lessons

Extending the front edge of the front fender looks like it puts it in line with the back edge of the rear fender. It actually looks pretty good. But the only time it'll look like that is if someone gets low to the ground. Any other perspective and the bottom edge will most likely be visible behind the bumper. Once everything is shiny it'll look good either way. I think the bumper is exactly where it belongs...

That's my thinking too, once it's painted black the bottom edge of the fender will blend in with the shadows somewhat and it does depend on the weiwing angle too....
Here's some pics from a similar angle of the 34 Caddy and besides the very different profile of the fenders front shape, it showed even more gap above the bumper which is similarly located to the Packards one. Yet I was not unhappy with the look since the black tends to blur the line between fender and shadow.

Attachments

• sep 27 2012 34 cadillac 023.jpg
    sep 27 2012 34 cadillac 023.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 88
  • sep 27 2012 34 cadillac 032.jpg
    sep 27 2012 34 cadillac 032.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC00363.jpg
    DSC00363.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 88
That's my thinking too, once it's painted black the bottom edge of the fender will blend in with the shadows somewhat and it does depend on the weiwing angle too....
Here's some pics from a similar angle of the 34 Caddy and besides the very different profile of the fenders front shape, it showed even more gap above the bumper which is similarly located to the Packards one. Yet I was not unhappy with the look since the black tends to blur the line between fender and shadow.

Seeing the two options in your photoshop I think the way it is now actually looks better. I wasn't convinced before the photoshop, but now I am.

my $.02 is that you re-work the front bumper to follow the contours of the front sheet metal more. Keep it straight on the bottom (looking at it from the front) but bring it back closer to the fenders on the outer edges (if you were to look straight down on it). Right now there is a ton of sexy curves and peaks going on in the front sheet metal...then there is this dead straight bumper kinda like a frown or pursed lips look to it. Just a slight pie cut in the center, sweep it back about 3" then subtle curve it along the fenders. It would fill the gap and tighten up the front a little. I think you see the gap because the fender is like 6" out in front of it. [P

Been rubbing on the engine/trans for the last while, got them painted up yesterday, assembled and installed today with some shiny doo-dads added :).
After opening up the engine, it appears to be rebuilt as I was told, .030 pistons, clean and nice inside. Being a cheap SOB, I decided to keep the crummy peanut intake port heads and opened the ports up to regular oval port size (buncha grindin') plus valve bowl cleanup and port matching the intake manifold to the heads. New springs and a Comp cam and lifters are in plus a no-name dual plane hi-rise, it should be a decent runner.
Not so good for the "rebuilt" Turbo 400 - oil in it looked like a strawberry milkshake :mad: - sent it out for a proper rebuild.

Attachments

• DSC00499.jpg
    DSC00499.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00501.jpg
    DSC00501.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00504.jpg
    DSC00504.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00507.jpg
    DSC00507.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 99
Just about done the chassis assembly, air, fuel and brake plumbing done, battery cable to the rear also routed. Exhaust is loosely installed since the height of the tips can't be set until the fenders are mounted to the body.

Attachments

• DSC00508.jpg
    DSC00508.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00512.jpg
    DSC00512.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00515.jpg
    DSC00515.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00516.jpg
    DSC00516.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 63
Just about done the chassis assembly, air, fuel and brake plumbing done, battery cable to the rear also routed. Exhaust is loosely installed since the height of the tips can't be set until the fenders are mounted to the body.

That looks awesome! That chassis looking so nice and nearly ready for the body is making me want to do another build...

Latest posts

Back