street legal jalopy/vintage fenderless oval race car 1940lSH MOPAR tribute to DAD

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fuel

l cannot believe the tracks that do not have proper safety checks before letting cars on the track to race.

as l said before, parts of the build on this car was good and others were really questionable.

the fuel cell is a great item for keeping fire out of places where you don't want it, then they run cheap rubber line all the way from the fuel cell to the fuel pump /pump to carb.

when l pulled the rubber to replace it with metal ones, the pump to carb one was so brittle and cracked l am surprised it didn't leak, rubber hose is NOT supposed to make a cracking sound when you bend it.

so the new fuel lines are in and now move on to the wiring and getting the fuel cell back in.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• Rotten hose.jpg
    Rotten hose.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 4329_500.jpg
    4329_500.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Rubber hose doesn't last now a days like it used to. About six months seems to be the life of it unless you buy the higher priced fuel injection hose which is better quality. NHRA only allows one foot of rubber hose in a fuel system, so I kinda try to go by their guideline. My car has probably less than a foot of hose total, the rest is hard line. The rubber in mine is only to keep movement from breaking the hard line.

Rubber hose doesn't last now a days like it used to. About six months seems to be the life of it unless you buy the higher priced fuel injection hose which is better quality. NHRA only allows one foot of rubber hose in a fuel system, so I kinda try to go by their guideline. My car has probably less than a foot of hose total, the rest is hard line. The rubber in mine is only to keep movement from breaking the hard line.

i'm right there with you...

Hardline all the way unless you buy quality... only use rubber where needed...

old school gas

Hi . go to pure - gas.org to see if there is real ( 90 oct ) gas in your state .I have been running it in my '61, '64 and '65 Econoline and runs better and more power .
sorry to steal your thread .

boat tail idea

i saw a guy take a similar car and build a boat tail two seater by taking an extra hood similar to the 1 on your car and welding to the rear. I wish i had taken pics it was remarkable and made a lasting impression on me.

cooler

l got the trans cooler hooked up today, it a moroso flow thru heat sink style.

l went to the parts store and got brake lines pre-made to use for tranny lines, 5/16 fittings X 3/8 inside diameter and brass fitting for the cooler, that way there is no rubber line to leak.

Attachments

• 1A.jpg
    1A.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 70-41200.jpg
    70-41200.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 12
  • cooler1.jpg
    cooler1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 23
  • cooler3.jpg
    cooler3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 21
  • cooler4.jpg
    cooler4.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 22
  • cooler5.jpg
    cooler5.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 21
skull, I put one of those coolers on my automatic trans a few years ago and I'm quite happy with it, although I never measured the temperature of the fluid after a long trip, but when I pull out the dipstick it doesn't smell hot or steam, so I'm happy.
Would you be throwing away some good outside door handles for a late 40's Mopar when you're done building this race car? I have acquired a '46 Dodge coupe lately and someone took the outside door handles off to sell, I guess. I would be interested in buying two door handles and the shafts that go into the latching mechanism.

handles

l think l still have the door handles somewhere.

l will look around and let you know, l been selling all the extra parts l am not reusing so they may have been sold.

Last edited:
tires

l went to a little hot rod shop today and picked up 2 tires for the car,
there Mickey Thompson sportman S/R D.0.T 28 X 12 X 15. the owner bought them never used them, mounted them put them on his car and found out they were to big so l got them for a 1/3rd of new.

now l have to figure out if l want the same for the front, a little bigger for the rear and make front tires outta these or go to 1O or 11 inch wide front tires.

price will be big factor in the decision making process.

nice having a sponser to mount and balance tires. :D

l really like the tread pattern on these tires.

Attachments

• mtt.jpg
    mtt.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 7
  • mtt1.jpg
    mtt1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
tires

l decided on the 28 X 12 X 15 tires for all 4 corners.

l ordered the tires today, they were on a 3 day Halloween sale with free shipping and no sales tax.

if l had to order the tires thru a shop locally it would take weeks to get them here because no one carries them and only a few shops in the area can even get them.

l saved almost 2O bucks on 2 tires regular sticker price, another 25 bucks on shipping and about 4O bucks in sales tax. l don't even have to leave the house, sometimes technology is great[clalmost 85 $$ l saved :D:D

they'll be here next week, one more step toward being done.

Last edited:
l decided on the 28 X 12 X 15 tires for all 4 corners.

l ordered the tires today, they were on a 3 day Halloween sale with free shipping and no sales tax.

if l had to order the tires thru a shop locally it would take weeks to get them here because no one carries them and only a few shops in the area can even get them.

l saved almost 2O bucks on 2 tires regular sticker price, another 25 bucks on shipping and about 4O bucks in sales tax. l don't even have to leave the house, sometimes technology is great[cl-almost 85 $$$$ l saved :D:D

they'll be here next week, one more step toward being done.

l[cl:D:D[cl[cl[P

wheels

l figured out the wheels:

12 X 15 round hole style with 3'' backspacing for the rear.

1O X 15 with 3'' backspacing round hole style with bead locks for the front.

a friend of mine donated the front ones off his dirt track camaro and the rear ones came with the car when l bought it.

l am painting the wheels gloss black.

l'm not using the chrome center caps.

l will get pics up when they are mounted and on the car.

getting excited about finishing this one :D

Attachments

• file_47_9.jpg
    file_47_9.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 278318_L.jpg
    278318_L.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
tires

the new tires arrived and the 2 1/2 year old twin grandkids think there a junglegym[S

crawling in and out, jumping on and rolling them all over the house.

Attachments

• atire.jpg
    atire.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 17
  • atire1.jpg
    atire1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 17
  • atire3.jpg
    atire3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 18
  • atire4.jpg
    atire4.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 18
  • atire5.jpg
    atire5.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 19
tires on

put on the new tires,

big thank you to my sponser -- Tire Dogs-- in Lacey for the mounting & balancing:D:D

kinda crummy pics, get some better ones later, but it looks bad with them on.

Attachments

• DSC02511.jpg
    DSC02511.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC02512.jpg
    DSC02512.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02514.jpg
    DSC02514.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC02515.jpg