Drewski's 55 F100 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At some point over the past couple years, I decided that I needed to build the exhaust system for my truck. I ordered an exhaust bend kit from Speedway during one of their reduced rate shipping periods and dug out a set of flowmaster mufflers that I had squirreled away some years ago and started cutting and welding. Now being a few years along in age, I found getting down on the floor to crawl under the truck a heck of a lot easier than getting back up off the floor, but after a bunch of trips under the truck I came up with this.

P1011337.jpg

P1011342.jpg

x6.jpg

P1010999.jpg

I saved quite a bit over the bid from a muffler shop and I built it the way I wanted it.

Drew

Really like the side exit through the running boards. Nice execution, too!

I can relate to the problem of getting up off the floor.

I'm a fan of the side exit if it is through the running board or tucked up into the bed side. Nice work.

I noticed you had what looks like a fiberglass template for you windshield...how did you make it and how well does it work? thanks. [P

I'm a fan of the side exit if it is through the running board or tucked up into the bed side. Nice work.

I noticed you had what looks like a fiberglass template for you windshield...how did you make it and how well does it work? thanks. [P

The fiberglass template works well. I must say that I should have paid more attention to what that template was telling me about a new windshield that I just bought. When I laid it on the new windshield, it showed that the new windshield had more wrap over near each "A" post. I didn't think it was enough to be worried about, but after I cut the glass, the new windshield will not work. The template was taken off the original Fomoco windhield that came in the truck. I just cleaned the windshield, waxed it, and shot a coat of PVA and laid up a couple layers of 1.5 oz mat. I added a plywood stiffener to make sure that it didn't flex and give me false readings on fit. Make sure you add the stiffener while it is on the windshield that you are using to make the template. I carefully trimmed the template until it fit the window opening.

plug.jpg

pat2.jpg

About the new glass, my glass guy has ordered a new one to see if it is also curved too much. If my old windshield hadn't had some deep wiper scratches, I could have used it. I cut it just to see if I could and it fits my truck good. I hope that I can find a new glass that has correct curvature or I'm going to be in for some major surgery on my windshield opening.

Drewski The $2800 I spent on my 4 post ben-pak lift was the best $ I ever put in my shed .. If I roll around under a truck for half a day it takes 2 days to get over it ... so I broke down and bought a lift about 7 years ago and I dont regret a penny of it ..It has made a many , many lifts since then ,, it even doubles for a parking spot if need be .

Drewski The $2800 I spent on my 4 post ben-pak lift was the best $ I ever put in my shed .. If I roll around under a truck for half a day it takes 2 days to get over it ... so I broke down and bought a lift about 7 years ago and I dont regret a penny of it ..It has made a many , many lifts since then ,, it even doubles for a parking spot if need be .

I would love to have a lift. Unfortunately when I built my garage 32 years ago I failed to allow enough ceiling height for a lift. I was much better at getting up off the floor then and didn't have the pains that I have now.

Drew

Cut glass

Drewski,
Did you cut your own glass? I need to do that for my chop and am contemplating doing it myself. Is it hard or just time consuming?

Brett

Latest posts

Back