1955 Ford C600 Cabover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reportin'

:cool:Well, got a little done. Got the motor and most of the frame pressure washed and, today, we got it in the garage! Started stripping the "useless junk" off the frame and motor. Man, I've got a lot to throw away....you know....government add-ons.

Next I'll pressure wash inside of the cab and get it in the shop. Get my rafter supported and swing the cab up over the chassis. We are going to see how it is gonna fit before we do anything to the cab OR motor. Looks like it is gonna fit pretty easy but........

Not gonna replace the timing chain. Very little slack, well within tolerance. I probably will do the oil pump though.

I know....pictures, pictures, pictures !!!!! I'm workin on it....coming soon, I promise.:D:D:D:cool:

Doin' it.

I've had some interferences with my build plans the last couple of weeks. However, I have made some progress. Pressure washed Buford inside and out. While I had the cab on the dolly, I couldn't resist hanging a fender on it to try to determine a ride height. On the dolly, the cab floor is 26 inches from the ground. That puts the front of the fender 2 inches from the ground. (See pic) Hmmmm....maybe too low? Yeah, really.

Checking the frame, I think the cab floor will be 31 inches. (Note white rod in frame pic is at 31".) That should put the front of the fender at 7 inches from the ground. Sounds about right. Next, I'm gonna swing the cab over the frame and start fittng.

I've also acquired some more goodies. A killer pair of Grover air horns and a Army ammunition shipping crate/box for "Cannon Ammo". I'll post pics soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 170
More frame pics

Still gotta strip a bunch of stuff off the frame. More pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 103
A few more.

More frame.......

Attachments

• IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 80
fender

shakey56-''Checking the frame, I think the cab floor will be 31 inches. (Note white rod in frame pic is at 31".) That should put the front of the fender at 7 inches from the ground. Sounds about right. Next, I'm gonna swing the cab over the frame and start fittng.''

l have the bottom of my fenders 3 1/2 inches off the ground in the front on the dodge and it works well for me, ,,,,

l think 4'' would work and look really good on the COE.

Later:cool:

I like the use of the van frame, looking at it now I see that they still used the early style Twin I beam axles in 87, they dropped them after 79 in pickups. Actually the E150 van frames also have a better shape than the pickups, better for rod building. Keep up the good work [P

3 1/2 "

SKULL.....3 1/2 INCHES from th pavement?? I'd love it but my 56 drags in some of the places I go and it is at 7 inches. Besides, man, it is a cabover. I want it low but I'm kinda going for the big truck look....kinda. I'm thinkin with a flatbed and a radical rake it'll look good. Sure hope so.

And ZZ, yeah I'm happy so far with my choice of chassis. Sure does seem to measure out great for my cab. We'll see soon.

Lynn

I'm looking forward to your build.
I have a 1954 Ford C-600 that I want to do the same thing with. I've got a 53' Ford C-500 and a 66' Ford N-600 too, but only so many hours in a day...
I'm really wanting to see how the twin I-beam turns out. I was thinking chevy frame and IFS, but would rather keep it Ford if I could.

Good luck!
401ton

I'm Back

Don't pay the ransom.....I escaped!

Had a couple of deaths in my extended family so kinda been outta pocket for a couple weeks.

But I'm back on Buford. Got my inner fenders blasted and gonna get some paint on em. Gotta wire brush the frame and shoot it too. ....just a little. You know, it is a ratrod, after all,

Ain't got any new pics....sorry...will have soon...I promise.

Attachments

• DANGNABBIT.jpg
    DANGNABBIT.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 59
NICE project Shakey! I'm with you on age buddy, older'n dirt. You got good plans, and that van chassis should be perfect. I had a '52 GMC COE back a few years ago. I had good intentions of doing a project, BUT, I had one project going on then (47 Ford J bar) and was nearly ready to start on another ('29 Essex RS coupe), so when reality caught up to me, I decided to pass it on to another. Since then I've also sold the J bar. Still got (and working on) the Essex. Been 4, maybe 5 years on what I thought would be a year build!!!!!!! Give him 'ell, ole Buford. perley

:)Thanks Perley, Yeah, I'm gonna build Buford if it kills me. LOL Gotta push hard cause I've got some health problems....like a lot of us have. I'm not gonna be able to do this much longer. But I've got some great Buds to help me.:D

I painted some on the frame today. When I get it painted, I'm gonna set the cab up on the frame and start "makin it fit". And I primed one inner fender. I'm gonna make it safe but "when it runs, it's done".:)

My wiring is all still there. All I gotta do is pull it up inside the cab and GO. I haven't even had to break open the brake system. I'm gonna use the van instrument cluster. Should just "plug and play". My 56 I built a piece at a time....took a while. i hope this will be easier and quicker. Yeah...right! Thanks for your interest. More soon.[;)

Lynn

Still here

Thought I'd better give a report before you guys forget about Buford. It's been 2 weeks and I have gotten some stuff done. I lost a week to my allergies. I know...wah, wah, wah. But....kicks my butt pretty good when they flare up.

I acquired a stock 55 radiator support I was in need of. I also got a pair of F100 rear fenders that are pretty bad on the bottoms but I'm gonna cut em up and make the rear of the front fenders.

I mentioned that I want to leave the "crackled" patina but I can't stand the red, yellow and black and OSHA yellow colors. I have decided I'm gonna "fog" it with a color called "Root Beer" leaving some black primer showing through in some areas. The paint is the color of root beer. (And I like root beer!) In the next few days I'm gonna experiment on the hood. Wish me luck.

Lynn

Latest posts

Back