1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJ3100

Jess, 8literbeater, showed me some photos of a '53 Ford Ranch Wagon he bought to flip. They were completely off my radar - relatively rare, somewhat practical while still only 2 doors (3 including the rear door).

The more I thought about it the more I became obsessed. Called Jess, but he had already sold his. In October 2013 I started a serious search for an early '50's Ranch Wagon.

I March '14 I found this at a swap meet.

55rw001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And dragged it home

55rw003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had already done some marketing to the family CFO. We established a budget so I don't get the evil eye every time she gets the Visa bill.

55rw005.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not a bad looking car from 20 feet.

Up Close

Well we can all expect '50's cars to have a little rust. This had last been licensed in '89. I believe it sat in a field with the rear window broken or missing and the front windows at least partially open. Believe it or not it actually does rain in Arizona. Rust free Arizona car - don't believe it.

floorpantoekick.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The spare tire well is worse than it looks and it looks bad

sparetirewell.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And someone had completely butchered the tunnel

tunnelpasstoe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Details

I was completely unfamiliar with '50' Fords, so I was surprised to see the front suspension. The springs go through the frame and the A arms go almost to the centerline of the car.

controlarmdrvr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I figured out later that the '55 has the ugliest dash ever. The speedo is a one year only.

gauges.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

steeringwheel2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is a really unique fresh air system. 4" stove pipe.

airductdrvr2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There was a 302 "runs great" with a C4 behind it

engine.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The plan

First of all, the plan is to build a reliable daily driver. Not really thinking rat, but this site is where the friendly folks are, so here I am. Besides, I don't know where to put it - it's not a Muscle car or a hot rod or a restoration.

I checked on a rebuild kit for the front suspension. $600 + - But that didn't include the steering box and would still have drum brakes. So I decided to go Mustang II from Speedway. Tubular A arms and coil springs. The complete kit including brakes, rotors, hubs, bearings, seals, shocks, and power rack ( but without the cross member): $1200.

The cross member and sway bar came from Paul Horton's Welders Series.

I wanted a modern engine that made good power and got good mileage, which means fuel injection. Complete at take out engines can be less expensive than just buying aftermarket FI or even a serpentine belt system.

Ford seemed like the obvious choice, but with 2 piece spark plugs that break off, heads with only three threads for the spark plugs, and some painful second hand experience I decided against the Mod motors.

Ram Hemi would be cool, but i couldn't find one for less that $3500.

So, I got a 5.3 Chevy (LS) truck motor with 60,000 miles. It came with the harness and computer and all the accessories. Super clean and there was even a video of it (or maybe of some other engine) running. $1600

It would have been cheap and easy to get the 4L60, but I like to shift and overdive is mandatory for here. The TKO's have gone out of my budget, so I decided on a T5 at least for now. I ended up with a "remanufactured" Ford T5 which required a QuickTime bell housing. Got a smoking deal on a Camaro flywheel and clutch with only 18 miles ($150) and was able to get the clutch plate to match the Ford T5 for $60 at Arizona Brake and Clutch.

The rear would need to be a triangulated 4 link with coilovers. A Ford 9" for with Tru Trac and 3.50 gears came my way. Speedway disc brakes are waiting to go on.

And yes, there will be paint.

Nice Wagon.[cl
Looks like a great starting point.
These cars make a great driver especialy with the mods you have in mind.
[P [P [P :D
Torchie.

If a decent Plymouth wagon of that vintage ever comes my way, I am going to steal your plan.

Your wagon will be a winner for sure.

plan

sound like good plan[;)

l call it the same thing l classed my 65 chevelle as, a modified old car made to drive A LOT and enjoy. :D

tuned in,

l like the dash, different enough from all the humdrum ones everbody uses, l find it unique. if mine, l'd keep it.

Later :cool:

Thanks guys for the response, I wasn't sure anyone would be interested.

The best laid plans often have detours. I'm pretty far into this build, but there is a lot left to go.

I thought the original speedometer was great, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work with the VSS on the trans and it needed to be rebuilt, which around here cost more than gauges. But another problem came up that caused me to go another direction. I'll show you where I went when I get there.

Front frame and suspension mod

I decided to tackle the front suspension first (well almost first).

I hoisted the car up onto my 2500 pound platens. I leveled in both directions with a digital level. It occurred to me that there was nothing of substance holding the body up so I temporarily braced it to the frame.

6214008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6214010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jackstands support the rear
6214012.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I welded the frame to the platen to keep it from going anywhere

6214017.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I built a fixture to locate the bumper mounting holes and the radiator suppport

6214019.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And then away with the front frame and all that was attached

6214024.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The frame is made of 2 channels welded together to make a 3" x 4" box. It is so rigid that when I lifted the rear 1/16" the center spacer would be loose. There are 20 body mounts!

6214026.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I decided to keep the front frame the same dimension as the rest of the frame and used 3" x 4" box tube for the extensions. I didn't get any pics of the Welder Series cross member fab, but it went together as advertised - nice stuff. I fish plated the inside and plug welded.

6214029.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6214031.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I needed to create some clearance for the springs. The frame is wider than most Mustang II applications and the 3" wide box tube is not the usual.

6214036.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I also need clearance for the rack - that is pretty usual. I added fish plates to the outside too.

6214050.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6214051.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

radsupport2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Man, I sure envy you guys with real shops and real tools. Looks fantastic and look forward to more as time progresses... :)

Floor rebuild

The car didn't come with a front seat. I knew I would probably need a bigger tunnel and would have a floor shifter and that the bench seat would probably not work out anyway. I scored a pair of newly reupholstered '98 Mustang seats at a swap meet.

Looking at the floor and the tunnel there really wasn't much left, especially after making mounts for the Mustang seats. And the rocker panels were shot. So, I cut out the floor and set about making a new floor and tunnel.

The inner rocker panels and floor supports were rusted out. Note the gusset that held the floor support to the inner rocker.

6214057.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The passenger side rocker went first. I was able to find really nice rockers and inner rockers from EMS - they were dead on.

passrocker1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I built a support structure out of 1 x 2 box and kept the floor flat (originally it had a big hump under the seat). The hoops were fabricated from 3/16 x 1 flat bar hot bent the hard way, with 13 ga welded to the inside and outside. I kept the bars in the same location as original so I could use the same mounts.

floor052.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6214046.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One of the Lasse metalshaping videos showed how to bend metal with an English Wheel by using a piece of an inner tube on the upper wheel. By tapering and following the Sharpie lines I was able to get a tapered tunnel piece.

6214003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the set up for the gussets that mount the 1 x 2 to the inner rocker. Used more 13 ga.

floorbracegusset1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the body mount kit from Mac's. Pricey except that there are 20 of them and they are good quality.

bodymounts.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Test fit to the transmission (this isn't all real time - there was a big gap while I was getting the engine and trans in place).

floortranstunnel5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rocker is in and the floor is under construction.

quarterpanel021.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mostly done. Those are the seat mounts.

quarterpanel028.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DUDE... Gorgeous car!!! Been lookin' for a lonf roof my own self. I've kept my '57 Ranchero in red oxide primer for about 8 years... I use it a LOT & would be really mad if I scratched a good paint job so now if it gets scratched I just whip out a can of primer!

This is gonna be a really kool ride... keep us posted!!! [dr

BoB

DUDE... Gorgeous car!!! Been lookin' for a lonf roof my own self. I've kept my '57 Ranchero in red oxide primer for about 8 years... I use it a LOT & would be really mad if I scratched a good paint job so now if it gets scratched I just whip out a can of primer!

This is gonna be a really kool ride... keep us posted!!! [dr

BoB

Yeah, I'm not a fan of shiny paint for the same reason. The wife's (CFO) grandfather had a '55 Ford that was the turquoise blue green that this once was. She is happy thinking we'll do the same color. So, we'll see how it shakes out.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of shiny paint for the same reason. The wife's (CFO) grandfather had a '55 Ford that was the turquoise blue green that this once was. She is happy thinking we'll do the same color. So, we'll see how it shakes out.

We all know how it will shake out. :) It's not a bad color.

Latest posts

Back