I've had it with Dayco Rubber Products!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

A year or two back our local parts store changed warehouses that they deal with, and went from Gates rubber products to Dayco. I thought, OK, belts and hoses are about all the same, so no problem. Wrong. Dayco has to be the worst belts I've ever used. I'm lucky to get two mowings of my yard without breaking the blade belt. I've been through four or five blade drive belts this year alone. I thought it was my mower, but I've decided it's the crappy belts. Today, I put a new fan belt on the Lincoln, a Dayco. Ran it about 15-20 minutes idling, never over 2500 RPM, the one time I rev it up to about 3500.....BAM!!! The brand new Dayco belt breaks in two like you cut it with a knife!:mad: The same way my mower belts have been breaking. I know it's not my pulleys because the who know how old belt that has been on the car since I got it still works. Oh, and I put on two new radiator hoses today, top went fine, but the bottom one wants to collapse instead of a graceful bend. :mad:Again, Dayco products.

I'm taking the broke belt back in the morning and see what they say. If they will give me my money back, I'm going to Oreilly's. They sell Gates rubber products, I've never had a problem with them.

I had trouble out of some gates belts that I was putting on my bush hog . But after two sets with very short time on them . I was told to go get original belts that was made for bending both ways ,, I didnt know there was a difference , they told me I was getting belts that only bent one way like going around two pulleys (bending one direction ) I had an idler pulley on the hog so it bent it back-words and thats what was breaking them ,,, I bought the mower type belts and didnt have no more trouble out of it .....(not saying this is your problem) but if the mower belt is breaking like you cut it ,, thats what they looked like on the hog ... But if it broke on the car too .. I guess id go get another brand ,,, Dont think id keep the hoses either ...

I've had the same experience with Pirelli belts, they snapped in half on just my family car. I still think Gates belts are ok though.

Don

I ran into the same problem on my Cub Cadet mower. The original belt lasted for years. Replaced with a belt from the auto parts store. It did not last one summer. Went to the Cub dealer and got a new belt, and it has lasted several years so far.

Belts are probably made in china.:(
I know this is off topic but did you know Mercury outboards are moving all manufacturing to china in a year or so?:mad:
The Tohatsu, Mercury, and Nissan motors (Mercury 40 hp and less) have been being made by Tohatsu for a few years. Tohatsu has been in business since 1956...

Latest posts

Back