6 volt or 8 volt battery?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

53 stickfigure

Went searching for a 6 volt battery at tractor supply today. The salesman, a long time farmer said he always ran an 8 volt battery in his 6 volt tractor. Does anyone know if this would kill the voltage regulator? Im not running the fuel gauge, using a keg, and the only lights im worried about are brake and turn signals. Not running a heater and my 53 chevy wont ever be ran after dark, cant see to drive at night. Also been told a 6 volt generator will charge a 12 volt battery but the voltage regulator will fry and the fields will eventually give up? Im new to the 6 volt system and dont want to switch over to 12, i like the nostalgia. Just curious to see if an 8 volt would be better? Just $10 more.

I have put these in farmalls numerous times check what it is charging at adjust if needed you will be fine

I researched batteries last night and think ive decided on a 6 volt optima. If i start saving a couple dollars a week outta my pay, i should have enough by next spring to get one.

I used an 8 volt in a Reo I restored for my dad. It worked great, didn't have any charging or bulb issues at all. The big bonus is that it would start.

No, I didn't. The car is was sold a few years ago, and if my memory is correct I think I remember checking the generator output and it was around 8 volts anyway. The battery was around the same cost as a 6 volt, so it was pretty much a "no brainer"

The voltage regulator MUST be adjusted. It should be charging around 10 volts to maintain voltage on a 8 volt battery. Otherwise the lights or accessories will discharge it. Same theory as a 12 volt battery, which charges around 14 volts.

Latest posts

Back