using a 4x4 axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonb8

I'm planning on using a full width J10 4x4 axle on my JK project. I've been looking at the problems with using a non drop axle and still getting it low. Seems like alot of guy's are doing this, but it seems to me all the weight is hanging and the weight is not working against each other...This is easy but seems sketchy to me..

Willys-Jeep-Hot-Rod.jpg

mounting a short 3500 lbs trailer spring in the frame looks about as good as I've seen, anyone see a problem with this method?

154_1108_07%2Bparts_bin%2Bupper_link_mount.jpg

I don't see why it wouldn't. You're not building a monster truck or an off roader. It still needs too be built and welded strong. It also has to have enough clearance for what movement you have.

I'm planning on using a full width J10 4x4 axle on my JK project. I've been looking at the problems with using a non drop axle and still getting it low. Seems like alot of guy's are doing this, but it seems to me all the weight is hanging and the weight is not working against each other...This is easy but seems sketchy to me..

Willys-Jeep-Hot-Rod.jpg

I think you would have to reverse stack the spring pack to get that idea to work,,,

So if you reverse the order of springs under to over the main leaf it would change rebound of spring? I want the spring out front look I just need to do it right and not all goofy and dangerous..

So like this?

154_0910_12_z%2Bassembling_an_old_jeep_frame%2Bassembly%20%281%29.jpg

If you plan on using a 4x4 axle, I'd think the quarter elliptical spring set up would give you better drive shaft clearance. I assume you want to make it all functional, not just use the axle?

With my suggestion, I think you are right. the rebound would change. Sams idea is a worker. You seem to want the spring in front look and you could still use that straight axle by adjusting the height of the perch you attach a normal transposed spring pack to.

With the quarter elliptical spring set up it looks like there getting away with only a upper control arm...that could keep things simple......Thanks guy's

Latest posts

Back