1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endicott_jb

Havre, MT but may as well be the north pole
So, Monday I picked up that 31 from behind this ol guys house, got her home, unloaded, and went to sleep. Tuesday, I organized it all to see what was there. Both back doors, 2 drivers front doors, a passenger front, 2 sets of front fenders, 2 sets of side skirts and running boards, both the rear fenders, a set of rear fenders and quarters from a Model A, most of the window parts, a few of the windshield pieces, the frame, a Model A axle, and a Model A headlight crossbar and housings. Today, I started to cut it apart to see how it'd look as a truck and to say the least, bad a$$. I figure the first step of a nightmare that these old Chevys are will be to put the body together the way I imagine as best I can. Once the tub is in a movable state, bring her into the shop and start framing it in.

File this project under, "Guys that are as fearless as smallfoot."

As soon as you said truck, I got interested. I'll be watching.

Have fun! :D

sedan

did you consider makin' her a 2 door sedan?

l did that with the 3Osomething and it turned out well. if a truck turns out to be too much hassle, this is another opotion.

power plant and drive train plans???

tuned in[P

Later :cool:

did you consider makin' her a 2 door sedan?

l did that with the 3Osomething and it turned out well. if a truck turns out to be too much hassle, this is another opotion.

power plant and drive train plans???

tuned in[P

Later :cool:

I've seen cars done as trucks and it seems much easier than making it into a 2-door sedan. Just my opinion.

I'm just jealous of you guys that run into so many parts like this in the same place...I don't EVEN want to know how much he paid you to haul it off!!!:rolleyes:[cl

Great Find

That will keep you busy for a month or two [cl

Smallfoot, agreed I could never find some thing like that around here :D

HMMM! didn't think to ask....is this gonna be shortened into a regular truck cab or are we looking at a fordor extended cab pickup???[S

HMMM! didn't think to ask....is this gonna be shortened into a regular truck cab or are we looking at a fordor extended cab pickup???[S
Or just knock out the back door area and make a king cab out of it. Less wheel opening to fill that way.

I got the thing for free which is gonna definitely increase my budget a bit. Thought of a crew cab and I've thought of a sedan but I'm going with a king cab cause it'll make piecing it back together easier. I don't have any drivetrain options in mind yet but I'll see what happens down the road.

So today after work I decided to move parts into the garage to start the assembly of it. Got the cowl put back together minus the interior pieces, and cut the rear door opening flat. Just to give myself the vision of a king cab truck I mocked up the passenger side door. Looks like I'll have to cut about 4" out of the rear panel to make everything line up properly. I'll have to see once I actually start putting it together.

So, after putting the top together the rear needed 3 inches cut out of it. So to keep me awake after work today I measured it, taped it off, cut it, and welded a bit of it up. I guess the dent(or more like smash) in the back panel was a bit more than I thought and the lower portion is way out of whack. Nothing a bit of brass and a small sheet of metal won't fix.

And to get the bottom as good as I could, flipped it on it's top.

I'll weld the rest of it up after work tomorrow morning.

Did the ol guy know you were picking up the 31? Looks like you've got a few ventilation holes in the cab :confused:

Latest posts

Back