No title in NC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
5 years ago I sold a 70 chevelle project car to a fella in NC. It went with a NH VIN verification form, bill of sale and a current NH registration from me. He called and said NC will not register it without a title. NH won't issue a title after 15 years of age. Is he screwed? Anyone know how to go about registering it in NC?[S

First off, why did he wait 5 years?
I can only speak from experience here in Missouri.
When a state doesn't issue titles, as in your situation, Missouri only require a notarized bill of sale, from the seller, with the vin, make, year, selling price and date of sale.
You then have to have, what is called, an id od (vin ID verification and odometer reading) because of it being from out of state.
This can either be done by an inspection station or the Highway Patrol.
We then take that paperwork to the DMV with our personal property tax receipt and they issue us a title.
He probably was working with an employee and not a manager too.
There's an attorney here that will get you a clear Missouri title for $350 and I bet there's one, where he's at, that will do the same.

I sent a current registration, bill of sale and a VIN verification sheet from NH with him in 2010 with the advise to get the title and such done then. Now it is almost entirely restored and he is having reg issues...Some people have to do it the hard way. The DMV rep down there is stating NH should have issued a title according to her "book" I told him there is no way no how that NH will issue a title for a vehicle over 15 years old.

5 years ago I sold a 70 chevelle project car to a fella in NC. It went with a NH VIN verification form, bill of sale and a current NH registration from me. He called and said NC will not register it without a title. NH won't issue a title after 15 years of age. Is he screwed? Anyone know how to go about registering it in NC?[S

He will have to go through the process of getting a bonded title. He can go into the DMV and ask for the forms necessary. He will need a bill of sale notorized from the seller (you) and some other stuff. He will also have to get it insured for 1.5x the value of the vehicle (they will give you the value) and hold that insurance for a while (don't remember how long) while the process take place. They will verify prior ownership etc.

It's a big process, but it can be done.

I'd say if he waited 5 years he's a dum-a**. With laws tightening up all over, lots of things change in 5 years. You should be familiar with you home states processes before you pull the trigger on a car without a transferable title. just sayin...

Funny thing, I still have a 31 Ford coupe title in my name on record. I sold that title 8-9 years ago and apparently the guy has never got the car built. Another dum-a**

The NC owner needs to call the NC DMV License and Theft bureau ( not the regular license office) and ask to speak to an inspector. Explain the situation to them and they will probably tell him to either bring it to them for an inspection ( must be on a trailer as it is not licensed) to verify VIN, engine serial # etc, or they will come out and inspect. I have had to do this twice in the last 3 years, and each time the problems have been resolved.

Latest posts

Back