1950 GMC build after 31 year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So yesterdays work was fitting the grille. I kept wondering why it was so heavy. Well once I started to re-work it I found out why. The top and sides are 3/16" thick steel. On the bottom GM must have felt it might fall out so there were two 3/8" thick plates 5"X8" on each side. The plates to bolt everything together were 1/2" thick. AND they used 9/16" bolts. :eek:

Even after all that the top was still busted apart. So what I did was remove all of the excess steel and mounting plates and just welded the outer frame together. (Purists hide your eyes!)

1359503528.jpg

1359503531.jpg

1359503509.jpg

Next I tackled the front bumper. If you look back a few pages you will see where I moked up the 1990 front bumper. The curve was spot on for the front of the 1950 but the ends were too long and the mounts were wrong. So I took 4 1/2" out of th ends, knocked off the outer upper mounting holes and will cut the mounts apart and re-make them. I will also need to trim the outer grille surround so the bumper will tuck nice and tight to the body. I will re-work the stock 90 rubber bump strip to go back on too. Seems like a lot of work for a stock appearance but it is what I like to do. Make it all look like it was supposed to be there from the factory.

1359503495.jpg

Make sure your gaps are nice and tight
1359503484.jpg

I like to weld the back side first then the outside. It will all be metal finished so I can re-chrome it in the future (*GASP*)
1359503470.jpg

I'm sure they thought it was going to have to take the brunt of an accident along with the bumper. Like a deer hit or what not, and that truck would just keep going!

LOL! you are right DR. And it was busted after only 63 years of use! what crap workmanship...[cl

did you narrow it at all.....??

or just shorten it? Not sure if I'm asking that right...like is the bumper thinner and shorter or just shorter.....[S I was thinking about tucking mine in on the 96 and also taking out about 2" in the middle length wise....does that make sense to anyone???

or just shorten it? Not sure if I'm asking that right...like is the bumper thinner and shorter or just shorter.....[S I was thinking about tucking mine in on the 96 and also taking out about 2" in the middle length wise....does that make sense to anyone???

Thinner, shorter, tuckier?! lol! just messing with you SGT.[cl

Basically all I did was take 4 1/2" out of the ends where it curves around the sides. It was a touch narrow for the 50 fenders stock so by taking the 4 1/2" out it allowed me to tuck it in tighter towards the grille. Now I have just about 3/8" clearance between the outer fender and the inner bumper. After I trim the bottom of the front fenders I will be able to bring it in another 1/2" tighter to the grille. I do plan on making a gravel pan to go between the top of the bumper and the grille to ckean it up a little.

So it seems I forgot to post the finished bumper shots or at least mounted in place. Not metal finished yet. The fender opening for the wheel will need to be re-worked as they are big truck size. Once that is done they will match the line of the front bumper end.

1359582529.jpg

1359582541.jpg

So today I tackled the front suspension issues. The front was way to low. Drop springs, drop spindles and dropped lower A arms all made the oil pan into a bump stop. The rear suspension has relocated mounts, drop springs and shackles but still sits 3" higher than the front.

So what I did, because I am cheap, is to remove the lower A Arms, cut off the spring mount and move it up 1 1 /4" effectively raiseing the truck up 2" over all.
1359776549.jpg

1359776538.jpg

1359776496.jpg

1359776515.jpg

Does anyone have this section of a 47 - 54 5 winow roof? Inner and outer? mouse nest built inside collected moisture and rotted it out over 31 years! I will post in the wanted section too.
1359776560.jpg

Oil pan bump stop? whats wrong with that? :)
So the oil pan is the lowest piece or is there a crossmember or whatnot to protect it?

I'm digging the look with it low, those trucks look so good in the weeds.

I have that section of the roof and most of the rest of the roof.

Not sure how I could get it to you, ideas?

Attachments

• DSC03115.jpg
    DSC03115.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC03116.jpg
    DSC03116.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03117.jpg
    DSC03117.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 36
DJ3100 I forgot you whacked one of these roofs! That one is in great condition. I will shoot you a PM tomorrow when I am off.

DR yea the oil pan hangs 3/4" lower tha the cross member. I am considering putting a puck under the cross member before we head to utah this year

DJ3100 I forgot you whacked one of these roofs! That one is in great condition. I will shoot you a PM tomorrow when I am off.

DR yea the oil pan hangs 3/4" lower tha the cross member. I am considering putting a puck under the cross member before we head to utah this year

I would seriously consider that, you never know when something comes up in the road and you cannot avoid it... better to have your oil pan not be the lowest point.

Good plan on the puck :)

Yeah I too would consider putting something down there to block the pan or something. My pan is not my lowest point, but dang close. I Also need to put something down to block something else. My air valves are mounted down under my bags in the front. I want to build some sort of skid to shield them so I don't have something hit them and cause me big problems...

Low-Ride-rrrrrrrr

Lol! Thanks DR. Now that song is stuck in my head![cl

Didn't get much done on the 50 today even though it was my day off. I had house chores, daddy duty, and bills to catch up on. I did manage to re-work the brake pedal in between cleaning the shop and feeding the animals. No pic of it but basically the new position of the pedal mount assembly put the brake pedal 9" off the floor. Ideally it should be 6". So I cut, bent, hammered and welded it into submission. Now it is at 6" exactly. [;)

Latest posts

Back