my new build 26 model T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26modelt

this will be my first build, i got it from a guy in west texas and he said its been sitting there for 40 years,still has bullet holes in it from when he bought it,,it looks to be messed with a bit,so i dont think its been sitting there that long ,has a gm 3rd member rear end and some kind of crazy motor mounts with juice brakes....gunna start on my frame tomorrow or could i just use my old one and box it in?,,,,imma z the frame front and rear....heres a few pictures....any help or suggestions would be awesome

Attachments

• 101_0266.jpg
    101_0266.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 60
  • 101_0271.jpg
    101_0271.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 101_0267.jpg
    101_0267.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 56
congrats on the new t coupe! I would love to get my hands on one. I've seen a lot of guys use the stock frame and just box it in.

Wow those are some crazy ladder bars he has on there. It looks like they may have twisted up under power.

It will be less labor and much stronger to just start over with box tubing, esp if you want to run any kind of modern v-8. A little intimidating but it's really not that hard.

That's actually a Model A frame and is worth using. Or you could sell it for a few hundred bucks to pay for the box tubing. If you want the coupe to sit fairly high then you can use the Model A frame without Z-ing it. Redo the rear spring mounts and locating bars and the rest looks pretty usable.
Good luck with your project.

little more work

its taking me awhile to get to this point but i finally got the front and rear z'd and im in the process of boxing it in now...ill post more pictures later

i went in town to a steel yard and the guy ended up giving me a **** load of metal and said i was welcomed to get more so i kinda based my frame build on what he had in his scrap pile

i just used the original front horns and front 30" of the frame.
i was gunna just buy some steel for the rest of the frame but i couldnt find any 2"x4" tubing so i just used 2"x4" channel for my front Z being that the frame is 4" at that point. then i used the original frame for the frame rails torwards the rear until it tapored down to about 3". i then used some 2"x3" tubing for the rear Z and the rest of the backend. i put a gusset at each angle on my Zeees on the inside and outside of the rails

so thats were im at now besides boxing it all in, oh i did ospho and painted the inside of the frame before boxing it in....any help or suggestions would be awesome

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 37
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 33
i would turn the heat up and wire speed down on your welder. your welds dont look like they are getting much penetration. remember the chassis is the main building block for the rest of the car, it needs to be strong, square and level

Latest posts

Back