front airbags on straight axle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does work and has. Cenpen makes a setup to put bags on a model a type car, but it can be modified to work on any straight axle car. My Son modified his to work suicide style on the sedan he was building. Actually came out pretty clean and simple. In essence, the bags and arms just replace the traditional cross spring.

These are the only pictures I still have of how he did his.

Don

This is the best shot I have of the front end.

dansoldfrontendsetup-4.jpg

You can see a little more in this picture. Car was bagged front and rear.

dansairbaggedframe-2.jpg

Here are all the electronics and pumps to make it work.

dansframeelectronicsshot-2.jpg

Rear view.

dansframerearshot-1.jpg

Here's a couple ones I did, bags are mounted directly to the axle.

Attachments

• dec 3 04 003 a.jpg
    dec 3 04 003 a.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 123
  • dec 3 04 011.jpg
    dec 3 04 011.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 108
  • apr 05 10 rat 55 006 a.jpg
    apr 05 10 rat 55 006 a.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 118
  • jan 28 10 rat 55 024.jpg
    jan 28 10 rat 55 024.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 109
  • jan 28 10 rat 55 018 a.jpg
    jan 28 10 rat 55 018 a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 97
zz

ur bag set up looks good....but why not put the bags on the outside,,,wouldnt it give it better handling, or just because u didnt have enough room...

im thinking bags on the outside of the frame, with panhard bar and shocks...that should be all i need,,,right???? oh bones tooo of course

zz

also could u showme pictures from under ur car,,,i would like to get a idea about how to hook upa panhard bar...thanks a lot guys

because they need the support, and it would look like butt!

What B.E.D said !! Air bags are not pretty and really don't conform to the proper old school look so I do my best to hide 'em. :cool: That and I like to make people get down on their knees to figure out what's going on when it is lowered [ddd.

Here's a couple more pics showing the panhard rod - though the bags look like they're touching the frame it's not so, just poor photography..

Attachments

• jan 28 10 rat 55 025 a.jpg
    jan 28 10 rat 55 025 a.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 84
  • mar11 10 rat 55 005 a.jpg
    mar11 10 rat 55 005 a.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 102
I have to agree with the guys about the aesthetics of the bags to the outside of the frame rails. Mine are to the inside as well, I cant speak to how it will perform since im still building the truck.

It does work and has. Cenpen makes a setup to put bags on a model a type car, but it can be modified to work on any straight axle car. My Son modified his to work suicide style on the sedan he was building. Actually came out pretty clean and simple. In essence, the bags and arms just replace the traditional cross spring.

These are the only pictures I still have of how he did his.

Don

This is the best shot I have of the front end.

dansoldfrontendsetup-4.jpg

You can see a little more in this picture. Car was bagged front and rear.

dansairbaggedframe-2.jpg

Here are all the electronics and pumps to make it work.

dansframeelectronicsshot-2.jpg

Rear view.

dansframerearshot-1.jpg

Well done- but looks like its high dollar to me

You know, things CAN be done at home with nice craftsmanship & attention to detail. Just because someone takes pride in their work and the time to do it correctly doesn't mean it is high dollar. Some people actually don't want their car to look like a turd...

Define high dollar ? What I see is ingenuity and craftsmanship and though not everybody turns out work at this level, don't be fooled by the visuals. There are a lot of carefully selected parts working together to create this beauty and there is no chrome, just nice paint. [P
Everyone has a budget and there's no shame in doing your best.

High dollar for some, not so much for others. I am using a setup similar to what don's kid used. In my opinion, if you are really wondering about how to do the setup, the cenpen or bad influence kits are the way to go. Not only are they hiding the bags, but they are on a lever setup which will get you a bit better lift over a bag on axle setup. I took some pictures this weekend of mine behind the grill. Probably won't even know the front is there with a radiator in place. Don, I don't know that I have seen any more pictures of your boys car other than this..... Are there any build pictures?

Here are a couple things for you..... First is a youtube air video. Second is my build thread. Will be updating it as soon as I get time to mess with it, but has enough pictures to give you the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipQhUhoeRk
http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12764

Latest posts

Back