1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wired the VA setup and got all the wiring tucked and tied up, the pcm found a secure home behind the VA system, so thats done. extended the clutch safety switch wires (when I started it last month I just jumped it, so I guess not-so-safety) and the brake switch wires.

IMG_9816 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

fuse box in its forever home (mounted with the screw just like factory)
IMG_9817 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

lets be brutally honest, after getting cold decked by this thing for 7 months I was due for a good deal. well I got it. I was planning to remount the steppers in the factory cluster, I have done it before and its a great look but a giant amount of work and sometimes they dont survive the heat and harshness of a truck interior. but for giggles I thought I would see what the s10 cluster would look like in the 41 hole.

IMG_9810 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

well I'll be dipped. just a little trimming and it will even bolt in.

IMG_9814 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9813 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9812 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the sun does shine on a dogs butt once in a while. it will need just two small trim pieces but woop de doo, I can do that when I build the glovebox from kydex.

more tomorrow! I beat the rain with mowing tonight so I can work in the cool morning on finishing up the interior stuff and move to the bed wood.

thanks! i like how it worked out.

I fixed the broken trace on the back of the gauge cluster and still had no brake lights. then I remembered that the only thing I took out when I moved the PCM inside was what I thought was the heater relays on the firewall. plugged one back in and viola! brake lights.

I got the cluster all sealed up where I cut it and it fit great so I thought I would do a fit of the dash with it attached in case I wasnt able to get it in once the dash was installed. I had to move the fusebox, it was 100% visible wires and all with the dash in. putting the dash in was the single most frustrating thing, it had fit great every time till today, I ended up needing to take the column loose to get it even halfway in.

IMG_9863 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9870 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

you can see the cowl vent was open after I got the bracket bolted down and the fricking thing would not budge. you also can see I chopped the end off the wiper stalk, it didnt switch high/low beams because it hit the steering wheel. easy peasy though, just shave down the cut piece and glue it back on.

IMG_9867 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9868 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the drivers side dash bracket was broken off (somewhere in history) so making a new one was only half the job, I also had to dig the broken one off the dash

IMG_9869 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9873 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

that kind of sums up working on old stuff. if you arent drilling it off or cutting it off, its probably because it was rusted off.

the handle still wouldnt let me close the cowl vent so instead of disassembling it again I used a jack to keep the dash part of the vent handle from bending the mount and whacked the ever living snot out of the handle till it finally freed up and closed the cowl vent. it was at this point the previously temporary gauge install fell out and I realized the cluster would come out through the dash like I had hoped. good to know.

IMG_9876 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9874 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got all the various brackets and switches installed.

IMG_9877 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

then I realized the windshield crank didnt fit in the hole because the dash was installed a 1/4" to far to the passenger side. so I took the whole dash loose again and repeated my minstrations.

IMG_9878 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

did this at some point. hope it buffs out because I am not painting it again. I guess unless it doesnt buff out.

IMG_9879 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

to end the day on a high note, I decided the oem s10 shift lever and boot were ugly. I dug around and found an old hurst boot, a couple metric nuts, and the original shift lever from the 41.

54916861698__3B94E67D-5E08-4D56-A4DD-23F0D34094C8.JPG by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the little rod connected to the reverse flipper I will weld a tube to the shift lever so you can fiddle with it non stop while driving.

tomorrow seat and bed. unless something else wants to poke me in the rear end.

Way to go

Much respect for your patience and determination. Dash cluster, shift lever and boot are a nice touch. My boys suggested I get a fork lift yesterday. Thought about you :D
[cl

thanks its been a really long road. longer than I thought for sure.

I didnt get squat done between barbeques. I cut these guys from some kydex, the kick panels. they are super cheap at bowtie bits but I have all this kydex.

the method I used is to cut a rough pattern from cardboard, then estimate the where to add material when tracing the pattern from kydex. then trace your favorite state. for the drivers side I drew califordaho and for the passenger side I drew nevadtucky.

IMG_9880 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9881 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

interior 90%, windows go up and down, doors open and close, HVAC works, glovebox door installed, even the little relocated ashtray light lights up the HVAC controls and the ashtray. need handles (screws really, machine threads I dont have enough) and the windshield trims and a couple other knick knacks. sat behind the wheel and its a small truck but comparatively speaking I am a big human. less than jabba, more than solo. but I fit, and shifting isnt awkward at all.

IMG_9885-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I installed the hood after testing the fan (it works!).

IMG_9884-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I didnt get to go for the big drive because we had random rain showers. maybe saturday

huh. I noticed that the 10 picture limit per post was lifted but I also notice that the "edit forever" feature has been removed. I would normally just edited to add this update since there hasnt been a response (instead of bumping it to the top of the forum) but the edit button apparently times out now.

I am happy the punch list isnt gaining length the more I get done. really all I need is some spray bomb on the bottom of the frame, fix all the splits in the lower front fenders, front bumper or maybe just build the apron on this one, figure out why the speedo stopped working, a few zip ties and some split loom, rear fender braces, and a couple pieces inside.

I pushed it out to clean the garage which is super trashed from working on 17 different things at once.

IMG_9889 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

and then I actually thought, well, its hot as the devils butt out here, should I just drive it around and test the fan? so I did. it warmed up normal and I watched the thermostat open by the gauge, and at 210 (just middle of the gauge) the fan turned on, ran a minute or two and turned off. super great, you might remember that I chose a 210-195 fan switch. the inner fenders are still loose from changing the plugs so I need to tie them up, and the clutch needs bled badly. but I let it rest outside in the sun for a while.

IMG_9891 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9900 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9904 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_9905 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the DRLs work. I love this look on old trucks, makes the headlights just glow kind of old-timey. you can see the fender and apron work I have ahead. you can also see how much different the curve is on the passenger side fender. drives me crazy!
IMG_9896 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

debated on this a while. finally decided that the big potential leak wasnt worth it since the windshield crank out works well. its 100% silicone so it shouldnt turn white (shouldnt) and will be easy to remove if the cowl vent is ever needed.

IMG_9899 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I am picking up the bed wood this afternoon and will be working on it till it is supposed to rain again.

Looks great, must feel really good to be so close to finished!

May I ask why you chose such a 'hot' fan relay?

Latest posts

Back