My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent some time doing some wiring the other day. Have the new valves wired up in the back, got the alternator working so that is cool. The neat thing I found out too was that the alternator can't keep up with the air compressor I have on there........... :( ........... Guess I need to look into a bigger alternator.

100amp???

Spent some time doing some wiring the other day. Have the new valves wired up in the back, got the alternator working so that is cool. The neat thing I found out too was that the alternator can't keep up with the air compressor I have on there........... :( ........... Guess I need to look into a bigger alternator.

How large is your (was going to say unit..:eek:lol)..."Alternator" on there now??? So many high output alt's out there, got your pick of what you want / need....
Wish I could open those photobucket things on the comp at the dept...have to go back and open at home... :(

going to have to say that it is original stock equipment for 1971, other than that I don't know.

If I am doing my math right, that compressor should draw about 47amps at full load on its own :eek:. That being said my two choices for an alternator at the zone are a 50amp for 45 and a 90amp for $100. Thinking I am going to have to go with the 90. That way I can drive at night, run the headlights and the compressor at the same time. Otherwise I don't think I will be able to make it :(.

Can you scrounge one up at the yard??

Most late model stuff is 100amp or more....our patrol units are 120amp I think...I'm sure you could find one on the cheap if you checked...just thinking out loud......

Got the compressor and valves wired up inside the cab. Kind of neat to be able to sit in the cab fire it up, pump it up, and play air up down...... at least as along as the battery charger is hooked up to it. Otherwise the current alternator and battery does not stand a chance :(. I will get that fixed up soon enough. On the bright side, when the compressor is running it makes a great back massager.

Got the compressor and valves wired up inside the cab. Kind of neat to be able to sit in the cab fire it up, pump it up, and play air up down...... at least as along as the battery charger is hooked up to it. Otherwise the current alternator and battery does not stand a chance :(. I will get that fixed up soon enough. On the bright side, when the compressor is running it makes a great back massager.

Have you thought about a deep cycle 2nd battery?

Yea but I am pretty sure that wouldn't really help me. I am thinking a 100A plus alternator is what it needs. It will cost me about the same too.... Plus I have no idea where I would put a second battery :D

I double checked...

Yea but I am pretty sure that wouldn't really help me. I am thinking a 100A plus alternator is what it needs. It will cost me about the same too.... Plus I have no idea where I would put a second battery :D

Our patrol units use 200amp alternators.....200amps!! No wonder they cost so much when they quit....one of those would be right up your alley!!

Are you hopping this thing? With a good battery and decent alt should be enough for normal usage. I have 90-100 amp and a big pump and never had any trouble.

Attachments

• 2011-08-30 16.31.18.jpg
    2011-08-30 16.31.18.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 35
This is a very kool build i'm learning lots , i going to go to the air ride on the rear axle on my build and there lots of good info here , great build keep up the good work

Are you hopping this thing? With a good battery and decent alt should be enough for normal usage. I have 90-100 amp and a big pump and never had any trouble.

No not trying to do any hopping, just normal use. The compressor is much like yours in the back. 3/4HP which if you do the math is about 47 amps. That old ford motor has the stock alternator on it which I am pretty sure it is a 50 amp. If I had to guess I would say that it is probably the original. I think I am going to try my luck with a 90 amp and see what happens. If that won't do it then I will have to look for bigger.

close to 300 bucks.....but cheaper than buying it from Ford.....500 from Ford....

Umm........ Ouch :eek:! Bit pricey for me to want to have to put one of those on it. I think I will try other avenues first......

This is a very kool build i'm learning lots , i going to go to the air ride on the rear axle on my build and there lots of good info here , great build keep up the good work

Thanks. It has been a real learning experience for me too!!! I learned how not to do it from the guy I got it from, now am learning the right expensive way from everyone else!! LOL!! I am hoping to get the truck done in the next month or so and be able to take it for some road trials.....

Latest posts

Back