Home away from home

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you calling on mother nature to complete the finish [S

Nah. They are galvecote so I would be waiting quite a while, besides the rest of it is painted black so these will be too....

I think skirts are in order. :D Looks good.

Agreed. I think it needs something just not sure how I want to go about it yet. Was thinking some sort of skirt, maybe roll a little character in to them. But ultimately I want a longer fender, more of a teardrop shape. Looked at buying some of those, but it would have pretty much doubled the investment in the camper... Thought about some vintage fenders also, but they too were not in the price range. These were 32.99 each from tractor supply. I can deal with that.

Installed fender 2 last night. Still not real happy with how it looks when it is raised, but it will do. With bags down they clear the fender by 1/4" so it can be rolled all the way down. Be nice for when I am just pushing it around the yard not in use sorta deal.

IMG_20150429_195329_678_zps17lxbntl.jpg

Other accomplishments last night included rebuilding rear battery tray to fit the new much larger deep cycle battery, and finishing the firewood storage divider. Need to stain the new stuff so it matches.... Now.... whats next??? Thinking maybe it needs a drawer in the back to hold some stuff like plates, silverware, first aid kit, and what not. Any one else have any thoughts?

Just talking from what that little "mind's eye" is seeing...maybe roll those fenders rearward where the front edge is slightly forward of the top of your tire, then do relief cuts to the sides of the fenders and create your "more teardrop shape" by bending a slightly reverse curve on the rear of the fenders. Then skirt the sides to your liking and the relief cuts could be hidden by your skirts.

Just talking from what that little "mind's eye" is seeing...maybe roll those fenders rearward where the front edge is slightly forward of the top of your tire, then do relief cuts to the sides of the fenders and create your "more teardrop shape" by bending a slightly reverse curve on the rear of the fenders. Then skirt the sides to your liking and the relief cuts could be hidden by your skirts.

My thought is that I might get a third fender to cannibalize. Do kind of what you are talking but use the other fender to cut and stretch to make it longer to get the desired shape.

Something like this ??

View attachment 119608[/ATTACH]

I have been thinking about something like this.... I like the flip up counter idea. I have been thinking about a sink. Since I have on board air, I thought I could run a regulator to a water jug, use the air from the rat to pump my water. I do think I am going to put in a drawer or 2. I don't want to put too much back there or I won't be able to bring my cooler. I also have a couple peltier junctions though that I have been thinking about building an electric fridge with. But you wouldn't want to run that around the clock or you will kill your batteries.

fridge

A water pump running off air would be unique ! Mine runs off 12v cost like $25.00 . How about a small RV fridge 12v/LP or 120volt if it's available ?
Me I just went with a cooler :D... less hassle & less $$ ...you could also go with a 12v cooler ...no ice !!:eek:

My little pea brain is running in the same direction for fender modification. Just a little flop like a Model A fender.

Relief cuts, re-bend, fill the cuts up.

Actually, you could slice off the flat part of the side, and flip it over to fill the new bend. Not quite that simple, but something like that. :D

I have some glass fenders I am saving for something like that. But I hate messing with glass. :mad:

A water pump running off air would be unique ! Mine runs off 12v cost like $25.00 . How about a small RV fridge 12v/LP or 120volt if it's available ?
Me I just went with a cooler :D... less hassle & less $$ ...you could also go with a 12v cooler ...no ice !!:eek:

I have looked at some of the coolers/fridges but they are just too expensive and big for my application.

For the sink, it would not be an air powered pump, just pressurize the water canister. Put the water pick up down at the bottom of the jug, apply some air to the top side of the jug it will force the water out the pickup to your sink.

My little pea brain is running in the same direction for fender modification. Just a little flop like a Model A fender.

Relief cuts, re-bend, fill the cuts up.

Actually, you could slice off the flat part of the side, and flip it over to fill the new bend. Not quite that simple, but something like that. :D

I have some glass fenders I am saving for something like that. But I hate messing with glass. :mad:

I suck at fiberglass also. But for now the fenders I have will keep me rolling in some style. Down the road, maybe this coming winter I will work on making something better.

For now though I did get some paint slobbered on the fenders I put on. Also got some stuff for building some more stuff for the back!!!

IMG_20150501_185732_883_zpsvl6be4oz.jpg

Tried to finish up the electric bag valves last night. What a frustrating endeavor that was. First off I ordered the valves weeks ago. They showed up and one worked but leaked more air than the anything I have ever seen, the other didn't work at all. The seller sent 2 replacements. These both worked about 5 or six times and both quit. WTF.... Contacting the seller for a refund, will be ordering different valves. What a bunch of crap.

I had a small travel trailer one time that the water system worked just like you have envisioned. You filled the tank, then pressurized it with a air hose. It worked pretty good, although you had to repressurize it every once in a while to empty it.

I had a small travel trailer one time that the water system worked just like you have envisioned. You filled the tank, then pressurized it with a air hose. It worked pretty good, although you had to repressurize it every once in a while to empty it.

I think I have decided against the air powered tank. I can get a small electric pump for $10 or hand pump for $30. If I ever pulled the camper with my car not rat or 54 I wouldn't have an endless air supply.... Other options sound more reliable also.

One travel trailer I had had a small belt driven air compressor with a 12v motor. It was a dinky outfit, was going to fix it but IIRC it was rusted solid. Come to think of it, it was in the same one I was talking about earlier, it had been bypassed for the air hose fitting.

The new bag valves arrived yesterday. Now I need to cut down all the wiring and air line again.... bummer.... but hopefully these work now. Hope to get some stuff done this weekend.

OK!!! Further efforts exerted yesterday.

IMG_20150512_184536_035_zpsuwymvmmk.jpg

IMG_20150512_184609_561_zpszarwbw55.jpg

In the center we can see a new drawer to store..... stuff..... Uses a turn latch to hold it shut for road travel.

Below that we started the cooler installation. That is getting a full insulation treatment, drain for any condensate buildup that may happen, also have plans for something else fun with this down the road.

Last on the right my lovely assistant is holding up the fold out counter for food prep. Behind the counter in travel mode is the firewood storage.

None of this completed yet, but getting there.

Finished the fold out counter. Doesn't sit quite flat because of the hinge in the middle, but is sturdy enough for some food prep. Now I just need to figure out how I am going to finish up the cooler. Then seal it all!!!

Latest posts

Back