1949 AD-kota

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been awhile.... Any noteworthy progress, Todd?

Regards,
Shea:)

Hey Shea, Thanks for the interest. I have been busy with work so progress is slow. But I have been shortening a pair of 3600 box sides down to 3100 length. I'll get some pics up soon for you.

Went from start to finish on this build and really enjoyed your posts and I'm all about the Dakota swap.
Great work [cl ;) :)

Hey Shea, Thanks for the interest. I have been busy with work so progress is slow. But I have been shortening a pair of 3600 box sides down to 3100 length. I'll get some pics up soon for you.

Cool, sorry to seem like I'm pestering... Was just hoping all was well and you hadn't "fallen off the face of the earth.":D

Always ready to look when you're ready to share...[P

Regards,

Looky here, time to share.

These are the tools to get the stake pockets off. Use the scratch pad to get the crap off to locate the spot welds. Mark the spot welds with the sharpie. Use a drill with a small bit to put a guide in for the spot weld cutter.

49dakota045.jpg

Left to right, sharpie, pilot, spot weld drilled.

49dakota046.jpg

Removed. There are about 8 spot welds per side.

49dakota049.jpg

I put short pieces of tape to mark 9 inches, then ran a long piece of tape to get the cut line.

49dakota050.jpg

I used an air powered cut off tool to shorten.

49dakota051.jpg

Clean up the edges and test fit the stake pocket. Clamp it all down and mark the spot welds with the sharpie so you can clean up those areas for welding. Drill the holes that mount the front box panel while it is clamped in place. After that is done, clean the areas where it will be welded, bolt the stake pocket on, clamp and weld.[;)

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq42/todd55021/1949 Chevrolet pu/49dakota052.jpg

Remove clamps and dress the welds for this......

49dakota054.jpg

This is cool...Only thing that would make it cooler is if it had a 318 or 360 in place :D I bet that would have been a bolt in on the Dakota frame [ddev

Got out in the shop for some me time. Started trying to get things closer. Some may have seen the box side shortening from a couple weeks back.

Finally put the electric fan on
49dakota063.jpg

Made a bracket and mounted the overflow can. Also put on a mopar t-stat housing and flex hose.
49dakota064.jpg

Got the Rebel wire harness mounted and roughly routed, waiting for the plugs that I didn't order with the kit.
49dakota065.jpg

Ran trans cooler lines to the cooler and made brackets for it. Just need to weld them in.
49dakota066.jpg

49dakota067.jpg

Next up a tech on the front marker lights.

The front marker lights are pretty much worthless without turnsignals. The old wire and patch ons was not very safe. Time to make it better.

A stock single wire marker light
49dakota055.jpg

Get it all stripped down
49dakota056.jpg

I wasn't going to place an order to Classic Parts for awhile, so I pulled these off the shelf. Picked up for cheap and no plans to use them.
49dakota057.jpg

The hole in the back needs to be opened up to about 11/16". A rat tail file worked well.
49dakota058.jpg

Test fitting the new socket
49dakota060.jpg

Marking the hole for the #6 hold down screw.
49dakota059.jpg

All fastened down
49dakota061.jpg

Now we have a marker/turn signal. I'll get yellow bulbs later, maybe.
49dakota062.jpg

Here is a little update. [P

Got the running board brackets started. Milled the slots on buddy Ron's machine down in SPAM land.
49dakota070.jpg

He let me do them too. [cl
49dakota069.jpg

Tonight I finished getting the go-fast pedal set up.
49dakota072.jpg

49dakota071.jpg

Working on the box a bit tonight. Had some angle strips bent up and welded them to the side. The plan is to use the dakota floor and put box liner in it. No wood in the box (something doesn't sound right about that).:D

49dakota076.jpg

49dakota077.jpg

Looks pretty good.

49dakota075.jpg

Todd, Your AD-Kota is looking really good. When do you expect to have it on the road?

I am hoping to be yard drivable by the end of October and driving it it the spring. Maybe paint at the end of next year. I work haphazardly, if I'm feeling a project I work on it. It could come together quick.

Todd, Your AD-Kota is looking really good. When do you expect to have it on the road?

Yep, this truck's coming togetherREALLY well![cl

I like that you're using a steel floor-truthfully, I'm surprised more guys don't do that.[S Of course, most old trucks that get rebuilt won't ever see cargo again...:rolleyes:

Build it at your own pace... I do enjoy your pics, so thanks very much for sharing.:cool:[P

Regards,

Latest posts

Back