Why Did You Choose To Run/Drive/Build A Ford/Chevy/Dodge Etc...........

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always had Fords or Ford powered stuff. Grew up around Fords, My father raced Fords I raced Fords and know them like the back of my hand. I have all of the factory tech sheet from my father and myself racing them.

Plus I don't like orange or wearing Bowties. LOL

all thou I do like the rambler but I know it will soon be Ford powered.

can't beat the chevy for being cheap, but i am a american motors, mopar, and oldsmobile man all day long, because those are the ones that i have had the best service out of.

I really like the looks of AD chevy trucks. I had wanted one for years, but never took the plunge, a well written build thread on the hamb showed me the s-10 frame swap idea....I had to take the step.

As for the drivetrain, it is hard to not grab a sbc. They are cheap, make really good power for the money, have a really sweet exhaust note....and are very durable.

First time down the dragstrip, my old man pulled it down into low and let her rip....and then did not shift. 57.88 mph in the 1/8 mile in first gear (don't really want to know how many rpms that was). Oh yeah, he also slung the fan belt on that pass and drove it back to the pits. No damage what-so-ever. It's been driven several thousand miles since then.

IMG_0307.jpg

I'd like to say that i run a chevy in my Ford Roadster just to **** off Ford guys, because so many of them seem to get so butt-hurt over it. But in reality, my SBC was dirt cheap and i couldn't turn down such a good deal.

$350 for a completely rebuilt engine with brand new components - can't walk away from that.

This whole Ford vs Chevy thing is retarded to me. Who's gives a flying *$%^? We're all in the same club.

Pulled up to stop sign and an old fart was at the corner...he looked at the car, then snarled at me with the look from hell saying "thats not a flathead".

"You're right....its not....good eye"

Out of curiosity, does anybody have a ford powered chevy? I wonder if Chevy guys give them hell over that like Ford guys give me hell over my engine.

I'm a blue oval Ford guy

I guess I've about always been a blue oval Ford guy.

I've had a "built" '70 351C 'Stang for speed, '70 Maverick for simplicity, '86 300I-6 F150 that wouldnt die, and the '97 Explorer that I have now. - - Something about Ford just feels more American, like apple pie, 1911's, and hot rodding/rat rodding like we're all doin here.

As I have relatives who served in WWII and Korea, its beyond me to understand when I see an elderly driving a rice burner. -And for others who can't find jobs...Well, would it kill you to buy American?

Like others, I just wanted to do something different. The Ghia idea came from when my folks had two when I was younger. The Ford 429 has been in the family for about 25 years and when it was my turn to have it, I had to put it to good use. I've had Mopars and Chevys but the big block Ford, esp. the 429, is a little different. Parts are expensive, when they can be found, and there's not a wide variety of aftermarket like Chevy and Mopar. Just to be unique I guess. That's all.

I disagree on the wide variety of aftermarket for a Mopar. If Mopar had a wider variety of aftermarket, everybody would be building them. There are fewer Mopar parts out there and cost a bit more.

Compare the number of Mustangs (yes even old ones) to say '69-'74 Chargers.
Mopars were made in far fewer numbers driving cost up and availability down.
Chevy has vast array of aftermarket that Ford nor Mopar can touch.

I can say that when you own a Mopar, you better get used to them saying "we have to order it"..

Hahaha! I put LS style chevy motors in EVERYTHING!!:D[;

I just had a thought.........the 300CI 4cyl in my miniapolis moline back hoe siezed on me last year. I wonder if I can put a 5.3L chevy with a power glide in it? Hummm....

I have had both Ford and Chevy powered stuff. Does not matter to me, whatever I do is based on what might have laying around. I have had a 351w T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 351w Pinto, 355 SBC Gremlin, 390 FE '66 F-100, etc.

The next project will get a 350/700r4 because that is what I currently have laying in wait. If I had a SBF/AOD it would get that. I used to get razzed all the time for being a Ford guy, but I truthfully do not give a flip what badge it wears. They all essentially function in the same manor, but each has it's quirk, short coming, or benefit.

I catch my fair share of crap at work for owning 3 Ford's and one GM. Each one has it's purpose and use.

I grew up with Fords, my Dad still has a 300 I6 Ford truck that is basically rusted out and falling apart, but always starts and still able to tow stuff. My first car was a Mercury Grand Marquis with a 302 and I did all kinds of stupid in that car and it wouldn't die. I figure a vehicle is mechanical, and no matter what it says on the front or back, you are going to have to fix something. I find myself always leaning towards Fords because that's what I know, but I've owned several other makes including imports (gasp), and didn't mind them at all, I currently have a WJ Jeep my first Mopar and it's had it's problems just like the others. I guess it boils down to what you can afford or what suits your current lifestyle or family at that time. Probably a little much, but I just love cars of all sorts and I have my favorites from all makes. Thanks for listening to my little rant lol!

Mac.

I'd like to say that i run a chevy in my Ford Roadster just to **** off Ford guys, because so many of them seem to get so butt-hurt over it. But in reality, my SBC was dirt cheap and i couldn't turn down such a good deal.

$350 for a completely rebuilt engine with brand new components - can't walk away from that.

This whole Ford vs Chevy thing is retarded to me. Who's gives a flying *$%^? We're all in the same club.

Pulled up to stop sign and an old fart was at the corner...he looked at the car, then snarled at me with the look from hell saying "thats not a flathead".

"You're right....its not....good eye"

Out of curiosity, does anybody have a ford powered chevy? I wonder if Chevy guys give them hell over that like Ford guys give me hell over my engine.

have a 350 buick power 63 chevy truck. does that count? i catch hell everytime i open the hood.

I have owned mostly Chevrolets (Chevelles and Novas) through the years. I raced Chevrolet powered dirt modifieds for 10 years. I worked in Chevy and Buick dealers for 10 years. My current ride is a 1946 Ford pickup rat rod powered by a Y-Block 272 engine......It is what was available cheap!!! $100 for the cab and rolling frame, $200 for the engine (then I cleaned up and sold the carb for $100)[;)

13 Letter Manure spreader

I liked the look of this old 'binder, price was reasonable. The fact that it was made in Hamildrunk Ontario didn't hurt either. I was also considering how many Fords, Chevys, and Dodges are around here so I figured why not an orphan mobile (Ok so I may be putting a Flatty in for power or lack thereof)

Im running a Chevy 454 in my 30 Tudor simply because I do not the looks of the distributor up front on the ford and I can't get "twister" headers for a ford

The 454 came at a good deal so I took it. I like the ford 460, had one in my motor home, but it was crammed away. But for an engine to be on "display " I like the looks of the dis in the back.

I don't even have a "Rat Rod," so I don't know that my opinion counts, but whatever.[S

I've owned a little bit of everything, but most of the "Domestics" I've owned have been Chevrolet or General Motors.

Currently, our fleet consists of one Chevrolet (in pieces, all over the garage) and two Hondas for daily driving use.

It's very interesting to see just how different perceptions and loyalties can be within the "car guy" community. Truly a broad spectrum of tastes AND reasons for those tastes.:)

This is why, whether I actually own a hot rod, or not, I love being part of the community. Generally, car people can chew the fat and do it in a totally civilised manner... What a great bunch of people to talk to!:cool:[cl

Regards,
Shea:)

I was raised on chebys and that's all I owned until I was 21 and got my first pickup, a chevy. I could not keep it from eating front tires and the doors were always sprung. Then the cam went bad at about 40,000. I traded it in for a new ford and have pretty much driven Fords since. Plus it was always easier to find unmolested Fords. But I also still have a weakness for Oldsmobiles, never had a bad one.

I've got a Crosley, Ford Anglia (English), '27 Chrysler Tub, '38 Fiat (fiberglass), '27 Ford T Roadster (fiberglass), '40 Plymouth Pickup, 50's style dragster (rail) and a 2001 S-10 Pickup. So, bodywise, I'm not fussy. However they are all Chevy powered except for the dragster, which has a slant 6.

Next project will have a '30 Chevy truck cowl and '28 Reo doors and back panel. It will have a 292 Chevy 6.

I have a 300 inch Ford 6 I'll put in something, eventually.

For daily drivers I stick with small Chevy trucks.

Latest posts

Back