Seat question, pics, inspiration required

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MACKAZ

I'm at a loss with a seat for the Buick. I'm thinking of making a fixed seat back similar to majority of vintage cars. Has anyone built one from scratch? Our laws also stipulate it has to have "padded upholstery" and a "padded seatbase". I don't give a rats nono about the covering but some pics of seatbacks would be appreciated

Last edited:
I'm at a loss with a seat for the Buick. I'm thinking of making a fixed seat back similar to majority of vintage cars. Has anyone built one from scratch? Our laws also stipulate it has to have "padded upholstery" and a "padded seatbase". I don't give a rats nono about the covering but some pics of seatback a would be appreciated

I've seen homebuilt seats done different ways. Starting with a sheet of plywood for the base, you can just cover it with a good thick layer of foam, and then upholster. The method I would do it cut out the areas where you would sit so there's a big hole in the middle of your plywood (or MDF). Then create a weave pattern using nylon webbing, cover that with batting and foam, and upholster.

If you search google with different terms (try Model A homebuilt seat) you'll find plenty of pictures.

Custom rat rod bench seat and back

hello
I went with a streamline design in my 32 Woodie , 3/4 plywood padded bench seat and padded back.

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 30
How much room do you have to play with? I am using a 3rd row seat out of a Chevy Suburban. Its 48 inches wide. Fits perfectly in my 39 Ford PU. They come in cloth or leather in several colors. I paid about $50 for this one, and the same for a leather one that is nicer, but a bit thicker. I need the space more than the leather.

Attachments

• seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back