Old Tractor, Twin City.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was really tough plowing that pad, Sheesh!
I think that is a tennis/ volleyball court. There is a community hall just out of the picture and a roofed in cement pad with tables for outdoors eating. And of course, two little fields to grow crops on just for the threshing day in the fall. We will cut the crop with a binder or two and thresh it on the same day and have a potluck supper for everyone around who's interested.

Every year we have a Plowday where we just plow for fun. This year it wasn't much fun because it was cold and windy and the sod was very hard to plow. This field we had was some of the best land in this area, [to make money on; not to plow]. Here are a few of us working away.
Mercury Mac on a 1927 Twin City.
A guy named Evan on a mid twenties Rumely.
John Deere unstyled AR, 1937, I think.
My son in law Rodney on my daughters Minneapolis-Moline 'U'

There were about thirty of us with tractors there.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 33
We had a Bonus Plowday last Friday and it was great. Here are some pictures. The plow, [a P&O from the '20's I think] and the Twin City tractor worked like champions. The third pic is a 99 Oliver and the forth is an 820 JD.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpg
    IMG_2006.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2012.jpg
    IMG_2012.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2013.jpg
    IMG_2013.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 24
Maybe some of these guys haven't ever spent much time on a tractor. I find it kinda satisfying to work one. Don't get me wrong. After 8-10 hours on one you'll feel like you took on the whole football team solo but the work they'll do is amazing. Right now i'm under one...not quite as satisfying...:rolleyes:

Looks like all three of those in the pix were up to task Mac![cl[cl[cl

Yup I remember as a kid going out to a quarter section in an old Case tractor with a cultivator behind it and spending 12 hours, sometime standing up to get enough leverage to turn the steering wheel. Now the tractors steer themselves.

Thanks for sharing! I'll show my dad the Oliver. He has a pretty good selection of Oliver tractors. He still farms with a handful of the "newer" ones. Lol

A memory that came exploding back to me when I got playing with these old tractors, is, the cantankerous steering they had. When you get to the end of the field you have to trip the plow out of the ground by pulling a rope, and steer fairly sharp one way or the other, [and there is sometimes an unforgiving fence fairly close to try and avoid], and you need to stand up to get enough leverage on the steering wheel, and use both hands. Most of the time you will just miss the fence. Don't relax though, because you have to straighten out and go along the headland a short way and then turn sharp again and line up for the next furrow, and trip the plow in again.

This is one of my dads many old relics. It's an old drag line he got running a few years ago. All mechanical, had about 15 levers inside to run it!! He is moving it up to one of the Agricultural museums about 10 minutes for me. So they can display it period in a few weeks we have a big tractor show down there I will get pictures of his whole collection he's bringing up

Attachments

• KIMG0030.jpg
    KIMG0030.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 36
We just had our local "Fly Wheelers" show. Old tractors and farm machinery every where I went.:cool:
Beiing a "Custom" guy I always like seeing the tractors with the fender skirts on.[ddd
That's a heck of a piece of equipment lb50 :eek: [cl
Torchie

We just had our local "Fly Wheelers" show. Old tractors and farm machinery every where I went.:cool:
Beiing a "Custom" guy I always like seeing the tractors with the fender skirts on.[ddd
That's a heck of a piece of equipment lb50 :eek: [cl
Torchie

Yeah we go to the local show every year. We normally take a couple of my dad's old two-cylinder John Deere's. But this year since he's donating that to the museum they decided that they were going to feature Oliver tractors which is what he has of the biggest collection of. I think in all he has about 10 of them. And yes that is one heck of a piece of machinery that is why he is moving it and donating it to them. He is planning on selling his house in the next couple years and he's moving about 4 hours away and he's not going to have the space for it and neither do I

Well guys, I got entangled in a very strange deal over the last few years.
I had done some trucking for a guy who twisted my arm a lot. He had offered me a good old tractor, well, it was old but not that good as some, [maybe 1/3] of it was missing. I chose not to take his inadequate pay. As I calmed down, I realized that I was never going to see any money for that trucking and that the partial tractor was it,--- or nothing. I was getting used to his ongoing 'friendship' and the 'nothing' part of the deal, when I blurted out to him that if he found me a complete old Minneapolis-Moline tractor, bought it and gave it to me, I would forgive his trucking bill. There, I now had very good insurance that I would never hear from him again. He was out of my hair.

Wrong, ------ he found a complete MM, wrangled it from the nice old widow, and told me to go get it. Here is this GBD MM loaded but still in the widows yard. I had no troubles loading it or bringing it home.

Attachments

• MM GBD loaded.jpg
    MM GBD loaded.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 25
  • MM GBD on trailer.jpg
    MM GBD on trailer.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well guys, I got entangled in a very strange deal over the last few years.
I had done some trucking for a guy who twisted my arm a lot. He had offered me a good old tractor, well, it was old but not that good as some, [maybe 1/3] of it was missing. I chose not to take his inadequate pay. As I calmed down, I realized that I was never going to see any money for that trucking and that the partial tractor was it,--- or nothing. I was getting used to his ongoing 'friendship' and the 'nothing' part of the deal, when I blurted out to him that if he found me a complete old Minneapolis-Moline tractor, bought it and gave it to me, I would forgive his trucking bill. There, I now had very good insurance that I would never hear from him again. He was out of my hair.

Wrong, ------ he found a complete MM, wrangled it from the nice old widow, and told me to go get it. Here is this GBD MM loaded but still in the widows yard. I had no troubles loading it or bringing it home.

So does that mean you have to be friends with him again? :rolleyes:

Thank you OI, for the rotation. I tried for quite a while to right those pictures, even putting them in my album up-side-down and reposting them. No luck.
Yes Snopro, you are looking into my future. I will have a 'friend' for life now. He misled me to get a days trucking done, and then eventually he 'misled' this nice old widow into giving up her dead husbands tractor. I was selfish enough to take the tractor home, but I told her the truth of the situation; she was not donating this tractor to a museum and I was not a guy who was just going to spiff the tractor up and get it running so the museum had something nice, with her husbands name displayed, to really show off.

Thank you Bruno. I am looking forward to taking this tractor to our Plowday sometime. I have two old plows and a tandem hitch that will make up an old fifties looking five bottom plow to pull with this tractor.

Attachments

• M-F plowing.jpg
    M-F plowing.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
  • _DSC0132.jpg
    _DSC0132.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 23
This "friend" of yours sounds like a real snake.

I've never been party to a "farm accident" but I understand they happen all the time...

only_in_australia-38-409866.jpg

Photo courtesy of maverickmk

Latest posts

Back