Mashup 35 Dodge PU/30 A Glass Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it running in the shop last night. Love the smell of paint burning off of headers!! Sweet, racy, ripping high compression sound. The sound of a turbo. Really enjoyed myself--even skipped supper (big deal for a fat guy). Kinda jumped the gun a little, Cobbled up the carb linkage, and ran a 500CFM holly 2 bbl racing carb, as my 750 vac secondary carb was having problems--needs gone through and I got impatient to run the turbo motor. These are pre fire pics--the cheep chrome headers are yellowish now--maybe should have wiped the shipping oil off before the run.

Attachments

• 100_7408.jpg
    100_7408.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_7411.jpg
    100_7411.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_7412.jpg
    100_7412.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_7415.jpg
    100_7415.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_7419.jpg
    100_7419.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_7420.jpg
    100_7420.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_7422.jpg
    100_7422.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_7404.jpg
    100_7404.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 27
Decided to go with the 36 Ford Truck grill I had on my T before it burned up. It is a little worse for wear from the fire, but serviceable, and it's big enough to cover the radiator, transmission cooler(coming), and the AC coil (also coming). Got a little Tractor Supply yellow rattle can that the wife sez matches sortta. I figure if I keep it away from the rest of the painted area so they can't be compared side by side, maybe it'll pass. After the paint cures, I'll tape the grill off and do it right. Lots of tedious stuff going on so I need a little flashy/weird to keep me interested. Like my 50s customized swap meet Nash naked flying lady hood ornament.

Attachments

• 100_7464.jpg
    100_7464.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_7462.jpg
    100_7462.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_7449.jpg
    100_7449.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_7430.jpg
    100_7430.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_7458.jpg
    100_7458.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_7463.jpg
    100_7463.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 23
Tough old piece of iron, and took the fire lots better than a modern sheetmetal piece would. The T was my first from scratch build, had it 20 years or so. Kinda rough, but lotsa fun. 455 Pontiac cammed up for the burger joint cruses. Adds a little nostalgia to the build.

Attachments

• feb2014fire 099.jpg
    feb2014fire 099.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 31
  • work 296.jpg
    work 296.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 31
  • club meetings and shows 059.jpg
    club meetings and shows 059.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 28
Tough old piece of iron, and took the fire lots better than a modern sheetmetal piece would. The T was my first from scratch build, had it 20 years or so. Kinda rough, but lotsa fun. 455 Pontiac cammed up for the burger joint cruses. Adds a little nostalgia to the build.
Now that's just sad.

Now that's just sad.

It was sadder to put it in the shed when gas got up to $4/gal. The thing only got 5 mpg and we live 20 miles to town. A burger joint cruze with fries and fuel would run near $100! You gotta admit the thing was tough, the hood ornament and valve covers melted, but the shell survived with only a little warping. Wish I was that tough.

Damn bro i didn't know you roadster was in the shed when it burnt. What did you do with your boat tail project?

Damn bro i didn't know you roadster was in the shed when it burnt. What did you do with your boat tail project?

Yeah, burned up about 3 years ago. The insurance inspector said it was the DeWalt battery charger. These batteries are all sorts of dangerous, but they can't stop using them. Me neither, still got them, just don't leave them charging. Still have the boat tail, kinda yard art--Runs and yard drives, just something to think about--someday... You still T bucket? The wife wants another one--maybe after the A project..

Yeah, burned up about 3 years ago. The insurance inspector said it was the DeWalt battery charger. These batteries are all sorts of dangerous, but they can't stop using them. Me neither, still got them, just don't leave them charging. Still have the boat tail, kinda yard art--Runs and yard drives, just something to think about--someday... You still T bucket? The wife wants another one--maybe after the A project..

yeah still got the roadster but in pieces. was trying to build a new shop then shoulder surgery took it out of me for a while. grass around the shop is as tall as i am, i haven't been able to bush hog cause the grand son and his buddies moved everything while i was down, so as soon as the grass dies back i'll be on it again, then comes the roadster and truck. didn't you tell me one time that bc and his bunch made your coupe body? i wonder if then still have the bulk.

yeah still got the roadster but in pieces. was trying to build a new shop then shoulder surgery took it out of me for a while. grass around the shop is as tall as i am, i haven't been able to bush hog cause the grand son and his buddies moved everything while i was down, so as soon as the grass dies back i'll be on it again, then comes the roadster and truck. didn't you tell me one time that bc and his bunch made your coupe body? i wonder if then still have the bulk.

Yeah, Spirit still makes that body, but improved as they don't use plywood floors. They want around $7K for just the body though!! I don't have But around $5K in the whole car! Sorry to hear bout the shoulder, My wife has had that twice on the same shoulder! I understand one of the most painful healing operations around, be careful not to get to hard on it too early like my wife. Didn't you have a banger in your bucket? If I build my wife one, I'd like a turbo four in it--like the old Tbirds. She liked that 455 Pontiac--got her lots of attention--cammy tire roaster.. I spent almost 3 years without a shop, now I'm in it every day--life ain't right without one, Hope yours gets done soon.

No banger had a 350 chevy now I'm not sure what I'm gonna have in it. Too darn old to be laying in the grass building cars now so i need the shop. I did build a smaller one but it was full with in a week, may as well say i lost it to the wife.

They are little discs held with a through bolt. They were not too successful, and stopped production in the 60s. I got this one 15 years ago at a swap meet for $60--near new. He had it on a 65 chevy 327 bob truck, and it got his motor after a few miles. It looks like the Accel had some water cooling adapted in the transfer tube...I blew the head gaskets off a flat top piston 350. It ran great till about 3500 RPM and then wanted to boost way big in a hurry. If I can keep the boost down to 4-5 psi with a smaller low compression motor I think I can make it liveable, just Not a big HP adder--maybe 50 or so. Mainly a special interest thing, and they have a sweet tone--great muffler. Heres some web pics of them and how mine was on my 350.

If I may be so bold; you absolutely must install a waste gate in your exhaust. The boost WILL run away on you if you don't. I've read through your build thread from the beginning, and by the time I got to page three, my palms were sweating from anxiety, hoping you hadn't blown it up already.

I'm running a turbo about the same as yours, and I hit 8psi at 2350 rpm, on a Chevy 250. It's at 2psi at 1600 rpm. Without a wastegate on a 302, you'd be at 25psi and skyrocketing, by 3000 rpm, and everything would explode before third gear. I say third, because you'll be in second gear nearly instantly.

I definitely think you made the right move in getting rid of the hokey butterfly dump valve thing. A wastegate can be had for about $60.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-...d=311941300050&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

I mean no offense to your abilities and knowledge. Only to help.
If I've missed something and panicked for no good reason, you can tell me. Also, I want one of those, what is it, Turbosonic? I guess I'll have to make one.

Are you doing anything to retard the timing?

Latest posts

Back