More time than money

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
My 59 F250 is to the point of needing the battery installed so I can take it for a spin. It calls for a group 29 battery and I really didn't want to buy one. I have a really good, fairly new group 31 John Deere battery which was just a little too long. So I rebuilt my old rusty carrier to fit it. I used the 2 original "L" parts from the old one

And I'm not sure who makes John Deere batterys but they are as good as you can buy. They always last 8-10 years in the tractors and weigh about half again as much as any other battery. That group 31 must weigh at least 60 pounds. 925 CCA and 180 minutes reserve capacity (that's a lot) Footprint is 12 3/4" x 6 3/4"

I also agree with you Wb, the heavier the battery, the better it is.
To help you remember which battery to buy, [heavy or light]; here's my theory, 'Electricity is piled neatly in the heavy batteries, whereas it's just shoveled into the light ones willy-nilly.'
Boy, you not only have a square body Ford truck, you have a Y-block in it, you lucky dog.

here's my theory, 'Electricity is piled neatly in the heavy batteries, whereas it's just shoveled into the light ones willy-nilly.'

That's where I went wrong. I thought they poured the electricity in, now I find out they just shovel it in. I should have known! :eek:

Toad

I also agree with you Wb, the heavier the battery, the better it is.
To help you remember which battery to buy, [heavy or light]; here's my theory, 'Electricity is piled neatly in the heavy batteries, whereas it's just shoveled into the light ones willy-nilly.'
Boy, you not only have a square body Ford truck, you have a Y-block in it, you lucky dog.

I drove a 57 F350 for a daily driver back in the 70s and they have been my favorite since, It's just taken me this long to get another one, well one that runs anyway. I got a nice freeby seat for it today out of a 58 F600, delivered to my door.

Looking good [cl
I find that off times it's easier to make the car/truck fit the battery than the other way around :D Did the same thing in the Sprint.

Freebe seat, and now tell us the upholstery is in good shape :eek:

Improvise, adapt and overcome! [cl

Just a friendly tip/story...

Back when I was in the RV racket, I attended numerous service schools. One of the regular instructors was an electrical engineer/inventor/entrepreneur/manufacturer. (An exceptionally smart man, unlike myself.) Anyhow, he always spoke to batteries and among other things, he said, "The death of a battery is vibration."

Long story short, a lead/acid battery will live a shorter life if not secured tight. Allowing it to tilt, hop or shift "shocks" the lead plates, which distort and fatigue until they touch each other or fall loose.

What I'm trying to say here, is finish your hold down for the safety and life of your battery. (With absolute respect, WB, Ford didn't use a bungee cord!)

I've heard the same thing as Dr C from truck shops. Almost all semi truck batteries sit on wood or a rubber mat. I had to replace the plywood bottom of my battery tray on my latest truck, it had about rotted away.

Guess I'm the weird GM guy because all of my stuff gets a 75 or 78 series side post battery...But then again most all of my stuff is GM based...[cl

Latest posts

Back