Simple automatic shifter w/lockout

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I need a simple automatic shifter that has a lockout function. The Gennie shifter in my coupe is really easy to bump into neutral....I need to change it out. I'd like to find one of the old Ford floor shifters that they used for many years on Mavericks, Cougars, Mustangs, Pintos, etc. They're really easy to mount, easy to run linkage to, and they work! I see them on ebay, but the prices amaze me. I've given away probably at least eight or nine of them over the years (maybe I should have saved some). Any other suggestions for a basic floor shifter that has a good, positive lockout?

Lots of cars have a simple shifter like that, some are cable, some are linkage. The old Vega's had simple shifter with a long round shaft that look pretty good, but I'd bet finding one would be hard. Most of the ones now days will be console shifters, but you could make your own to fit. Just have to hit the yards and look is my suggestion.............

About as simple as it gets.

Attachments

• IMG_20140421_123257.jpg
    IMG_20140421_123257.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 89
I saw a nice, simple one in a older postal jeep in a yard once. Reminded me of the one that was in the Rambler American I used to have.

Blue

just a cheap shifter from Pep Boys. Didn't have notches where it needed them, so a round file made short work of that. It's sprinkler loaded so you press down on the shifter to unlock. Pretty simple.
I just made a mount that utilized the tail shaft bolts for the th350.

[[/B]
photo-75.jpg

photo-76.jpg

photo-73.jpg

I found a dodge A100 shifter in local yard.It mounted on dash.
But waited too long to go back and get it.
Yard was sold and everything crushed:mad:
Wish we had a pep boys around here.I love that shifter.It would be cool in my woodie.[dr

Latest posts

Back