Bonneville

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my bucket list also . Plan is for next year , I have an invite from a internet friend who crews on a car . Take pics and give us a run down on dos and donts' . I imagine this is on a lot of bucket lists .Might be a good place for a RRR meet and greet .

Haven't been to Speed Week for a while. I would be going this year, but the cost of the rooms in Wendover for SpeedWeek keeps me away. When we used to go the prices were inflated but still reasonable. Check the hotel rates before you make any other plans.

Anyone planning on going this year? I think it's the year I'm going to knock it off the bucket list. I'll probably haul the rod.

It's only 800 miles, you should drive it! [cl

Yes, I'm being serious :)

On my bucket list also . Plan is for next year , I have an invite from a internet friend who crews on a car . Take pics and give us a run down on dos and donts' . I imagine this is on a lot of bucket lists .Might be a good place for a RRR meet and greet .

If you can get a crew wristband you can get right up on the start line, it's awesome! Even better is if you can get a crew pass for your car, then you can drive in the pits and almost anywhere you want!

I guess I should ask what event you're planning on going to... Speed Week, World of Speed, World Finals?

If you've never been you should go to Speed Week, and try to plan to be there the first weekend, that's when most of the hot rods are there and most racers haven't busted yet.

Plans to meet friends from Seattle Aug. 9-15. We'll be camping out. I might try to drag a canned ham if I can get the rod up on my flatbed. I'd love to drive it but the ergonomics of my car are not friendly to all my complaining old body parts. What do I have to do to get my car on the salt? Not to compete, just for a few pictures.

Plans to meet friends from Seattle Aug. 9-15. We'll be camping out. I might try to drag a canned ham if I can get the rod up on my flatbed. I'd love to drive it but the ergonomics of my car are not friendly to all my complaining old body parts. What do I have to do to get my car on the salt? Not to compete, just for a few pictures.

Pay your admission fee for the day. As all activities are quite a ways out on the salt, you have to drive on the salt to get to the race course, there's no choice in the matter. At the end of the asphalt road they'll take your money, then you're onto the salt with whatever buggy you happen to be driving. If you're taking your car (even if it's a daily driver), get underneath it first (before you leave home, if that's easiest) and spray everything heavily with WD-40. When you get off the salt, go directly to the car wash in Wendover and clean the salt out from everywhere under, over, around, and in your car that you can. That stuff gets everywhere, and as it's pure salt it's not something you want sitting on any vehicle you own.

Plus bring lots of sunscreen, water, and your own shade of some sort (a minimum of a big straw hat).

I'll be going again this year already booked hotel in East Wendover (cheaper) will be driving down in a 34 Ford ( if'n I can get it re-assembled) if it ain't on your bucket list, and your into rods you is missing out big time. Also will add that it is a different type of car you see there, not much for flash or chrome, kinda early style.

The closest that I have got is sleeping at the rest stop on the interstate that's on the flats and buying fuel at the truck stop. Hopefully I will be able to get to a race one day.

We ent in 2010 and camped at the bend in the road (free) and showered at the truck stop. Oh yeah, the mexican food at the truckstop was worth the trip.

I'll be driving a 34 down from the Seattle area estimated time of arrival, Aug 7th (Tech) staying probably leave the flats on the 10th, depending on the ability of the old Ford to still be a driver. Always willing to bump into a fellow member if anyone else is going.

went last year and it was awesome! Bring lots of water. I almost passed out and had drank a liter and a half in 2 hours. Temp was 116F

Now in Rawlins, on the way home. I did see your 34 at the Nugget Sat. Evening.
Kind of a bummer that they waited until 10 am Sat. to announce the cancellation
They had to have know a foot of water wasn't going to dry out way sooner than that.
Anyway, we stayed and camped a couple days, had lots of fun, met great people.
I,ll put pictures up when I get home.

Latest posts

Back