steering dilema

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

I like to do the research to figure out the supplies we need during the week, so when the weekend comes, hubby and I can get some things accomplished on the build. We have been avoiding the steering for a while, but I decided now is the time to get this figured out.

Our steering column came from a 70's Peterbuilt. It has a 1'' shaft with (I think) 36 splines.

The steering box is '91 Dodge 250 pickup (from the engine/front end donor).

Anyhow, I posted pics and more info on our blog: http://www.36hillbillydeluxe.com/2014/07/steering.html hoping someone had some wisdom/advice for us. This is our first build like this (hopefully not our last though! I want something of my own! hehe)

You need to go to a semi graveyard. You need the yoke that fits the column, it carries a U there, and you will also need the shaft on the other side of the U joint, it will probably be about the same size as the column shaft. You can use the Dodge shaft to the box, but I would probably cut off the rag joint. I would have the semi shaft turned down to 3/4", and use a standard 3/4" weld on U joint. Then, if you still don't have quite enough shaft, you can use a universal piece of 3/4" shaft to connect the two with another U joint, but keep in mind, if you have more than two U joints in the total column, you will need a support bearing on one of the shafts.

Another way would be to just turn the Pete shaft down to 3/4", and use standard 3/4" U joints and shaft to finish it up.

thanks for the quick reply! I do believe we have a yoke that fits the Pete column, I will go out and see what I can dig up.......

I think there are two sizes for the Pete U joints, one is a little larger than the other. Just so you have matching yokes and U joints, you should be able to adapt it to the standard 3/4" that everybody uses. Good luck!

OK, updated the blog post with pics of what I have. We have a yoke that fits the steering column. It has a ujoint and a slip yoke on the other end. Now, I just need to figure out how to join the 3/4'' shaft that has the rag-joint on it to the 1 3/4'' shaft that is on the slip yoke end. Updated pics at end of post:

http://www.36hillbillydeluxe.com/2014/07/steering.html

looks like your tire would touch the steering box ....with a hard right ....may just the way it looks in the picture .. truck looks good though:)

Can you slide the "tube" off the mystery shaft, exposing the blue portion.
Make up an adapter sleeve that slides over the Dodge shaft and fits inside the mystery tube.

weld on..........[;)

Can you slide the "tube" off the mystery shaft, exposing the blue portion.
Make up an adapter sleeve that slides over the Dodge shaft and fits inside the mystery tube.

weld on..........[;)

That was my first thought, will be a challenge coming up with a sleeve though. I think the tube will slide off the slip yoke, but it's pretty tight.

You can use the Dodge shaft to the box, but I would probably cut off the rag joint.

Agreed. I use shafts with u-joints on everything. I usually just walk through the junk yard until I find one. I remember the Jeep Cherokee and Comanche used them, and I'm not sure which others. They fit the Saginaw box splines and are all-around a pretty standard fit.

I've seen rag joints and those cv joints fail at the worst times. :eek:
Thank you, to whoever invented guard rails.

Armco barriers, used at a race track in Perry, NY. The car was pushing, hit the wall, instead of bouncing off, the lower section collapsed sucking in the car and pushing the right front wheel assembly through the right side of the firewall, not done, it tore out the area of the block that held the motor mount.
You had to bring that up......

weld on............[;)

Latest posts

Back