Woo Hoo! I'm legal now!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

[clWoo Hoo![cl I'm legal now! Wife finally got my vintage license plate today! Cost a whopping $11! Never have to buy another one! [cl

Drove the car to supper a while ago. I put 5 gallons of gas in, gauge has quit working. :( Got to check that out. Car ran like crap, wouldn't keep speed up, would lug down and downshift and not want to upshift back into drive. Got back home and raised the hood, gas was leaking out of the carb pretty bad, and it was practically pouring into the manifold so bad I could hear it boiling. Looks like a rebuild is in order on the carb. If I had the money, I'd just go ahead and buy a new Summit carb and put on my Edelbrock intake, but gonna have to save up for that. So I guess I'll just go to Oreilly's and get a kit for the old 2G for now.

I'm hoping to get it running good enough to go to a big show 60 miles from me in the middle of the month, so I still have some work to do. At least I can now get out on the road and test it and not have to worry about Johnny Law every time I go down the road!

And yet another death trap hits the road with all the style and grace
understood only by the rest of us nimrod hot rod wrench jockeys stuck in the past. Just kidding! Congrats.
Stay after it.

Here, write down this part number, it will save you having the parts guy look it up. I just used 3 of these to rebuild my 2G carbs and they were very complete and fit lots of variations of the 2 g's.

2-5146C.

Don

That O'Reilly kit looks pretty good too, the NAPA kit gave me about 4 times more gaskets and pieces than I needed but after I tore down my 6 carburetors I saw why..........Rochester had a lot of changes over the years on the 2G and lots of the carbs I bought weren't usable for what I wanted to do.

I just called our local NAPA for you and the kit sells for $27 so it is close to the OR price. But like I said, the kit you show looks pretty good and will probably have all the parts you need. Maybe I missed it in the picture you posted but the kit should come with two little metal balls, one smaller than the other. The big one goes under the three screw plate that holds down the jets that spray down the throats of the carb and the smaller ball goes under the accelerator pump spring, down in that chamber. It just lays in there and it is aluminum vs the ss ball in the other part.

After doing the 3 I did I am a 2 G expert ! :D Really a simple design. One tricky part I found was that the aluminum ball I mentioned may not just fall out of your carb, one carb I did it was corroded down in there and I had to drill out the plug on the side, tap it out, and then tap threads in there for a set screw and JB weld to keep it from leaking.

I watched some excellent videos on You Tube before I did mine and picked up a few tips. I will try to find you one of those before I head off to work.

Obviously, remove every little part, the jets, and even the little T shaped thing with a spring and ball under it, and clean the carb really good with spray carb cleaner, then blow out every passage with compressed air. But they are a very simple design and easy to rebuild.

Don

Ok, here is a pretty good two part video. It explains it very well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3rGkqxlKq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0nH3n-f0E

Don, if the JB you put in the carb is exposed to gas it will turn to mush unfortunately.

I don't think so, earthman. I have repaired gas tanks with it and here is what their website says:

When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical.

But the set screw is firmly screwed into the tapped threads and the JB Weld is only there for insurance.

Don

Success, I hope

Tore the carb down Friday, man I don't even see how the thing was running. It was full of white powdery stuff, and where it was wet, a mushy mixture. Soaked it overnight in carb dip, it came out pretty nice except for some pitting in the bowl. The small aluminum ball was nowhere to be found, I guess it had dissolved.

Got my carb kit and new float at Oreilly's this morning. Got home, and wouldn't you know it, the float was wrong. I think somebody stuck the wrong one in the right box. Used my old one, will see how it holds up.

Runs like a dream now. Idles smooth, crisp throttle response. I went down the road between rain showers [no wipers], and if felt like it had plenty of power. Will be driving it next week to get a feel for it.

Thanks Don for the video links. I watched all 6 of Mike's videos, helped refresh the old memory a lot. First carb I've rebuilt in probably 15-20 years and it went smoothly. No more leaks, no more flooding, feels good! [cl

Tore the carb down Friday, man I don't even see how the thing was running. It was full of white powdery stuff, and where it was wet, a mushy mixture. Soaked it overnight in carb dip, it came out pretty nice except for some pitting in the bowl. The small aluminum ball was nowhere to be found, I guess it had dissolved.

Got my carb kit and new float at Oreilly's this morning. Got home, and wouldn't you know it, the float was wrong. I think somebody stuck the wrong one in the right box. Used my old one, will see how it holds up.

Runs like a dream now. Idles smooth, crisp throttle response. I went down the road between rain showers [no wipers], and if felt like it had plenty of power. Will be driving it next week to get a feel for it.

Thanks Don for the video links. I watched all 6 of Mike's videos, helped refresh the old memory a lot. First carb I've rebuilt in probably 15-20 years and it went smoothly. No more leaks, no more flooding, feels good! [cl

Awesome job! Bet it feels good to have it running smoothly!
I hear you on the wiper issue... one of the things higher up on my list of to-dos!

Latest posts

Back