Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32335

I've officially started building the Bantam so i moved the previous posts to the "Builds" section.

Today I built the frame, from the front axle to where the rear kick-up will be. Used 2" by 3" rectangular tubing. It will have a full roll cage and round top tubes running forward to strengthen the frame.

Looking at the frame through the rear window. The frame gets wider from the front end to the firewall then it flairs out even more and fits under the door sills. The crossmember will get a hoop in it for the driveshaft.

Last edited:

The front axle is set at 106" wheelbase. It might get a little shorter but I want it to handle okay at the drag strip so too short isn't good.

I'll extend the cowl as shown with the cardboard pattern. Extra room is needed in the office.
It doesn't show in the pics but it has a forward rake of around 3 degrees.

Like I said over on the pork thread, this is going to be a fun winter project for you the builder and the rest of us as watchers and wishers. Great start, with your skill and shop it should be ready before all the snow is gone.:D

Here goes Super Bob again; the way he works he should have this one done in about two weeks and be started on another one. You put the rest of us shame, Bob!

Thanks for you interest in this project.
Today I framed the firewall opening with 1/8" by 2" and 1/8" by 4" flat stock. The firewall will have a reverse recess (it'll stick out) so I can sit forward a little bit and get in the proper position under the roll cage. Framing didn't take all day. I spent most of the day getting a chunk of 18 gauge sheet metal and destroying it trying to extend the cowl(which was Plan A. Framing is Plan B). Funny, the cardboard pattern worked out okay. I guess I ain't no Cornfield Customs.:D

The first snow has not fallen and your deep into this winters project. [cl

This will be a great build for all us watchers.:cool::cool:

The first snow has not fallen and your deep into this winters project. [cl

This will be a great build for all us watchers.:cool::cool:

Hey now, don't be throwing around that 4 letter word :( This is a family site :)

Yeah, I caught a cold even thinking about it ! :eek::eek::eek:Don

Hey, now you three settle down, we have a man at work, we don't need any of this horsing around to distract him [ddd

Sorry guys, did not know it was a soft spot. :mad::eek::eek:

Use southern CA guys can't even spell the word as we I have never seen any on the coast. :cool::cool::cool:

Just keep moving forward on that BB Bantam, it is going to be one of your best builds.[cl[;)

Don't worry fellas, I know how to deal with snow. Stay in the shop and weld, weld, weld. BTW, we could get some flakes Wednesday.:eek:

I welded a 5" extension to the firewall today. That should give me the interior room I need. Next, I'll probably stick the engine in the frame and determine wheelbase.

Latest posts

Back