Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doctors: 7 years in college but can't tell time!

I'm glad it turned out well for you, Torchie. :D

In her defense it was the surgical centers screw up. They gave my a $20 gas card for my troubles.:D

The 50 looks good. Clean, simple.

I have some 51 Ply grille parts, if you are interested in them. Its toothy, though. ;)
Thanks Skip
I'm pretty well stuck on the 50 Plymouth grill. I have had some response from my WTB ads but so far way too pricey given some of the shipping quotes. I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple of prospects.

Glad it all worked out. I had mine done 3-4 years ago. We all benefit from modern medicine nowadays. You and I are examples.
Indeed bob.
I see my cardiologist on Friday for my 6 months check in so we will see how happy (or not ) he is.

Torchie

Have you tried French Lake Auto Parts?

Funny you should mention them Bob....Are you near them????:D
I've seen some things of theirs listed on e-bay. No Plymouth grill but they have a 50 Dodge Coronet 4 door that I could use some parts from.
Again it seems that shipping costs are the biggest impediment. I sold some items to raise some money and one of them was a Flathead cast iron Bellhousing, probably around 20 lbs. To ship it boxed via UPS from Mi to De was about $ 25.00 . To ship a pair of F series truck hood spears and badges to Fla from MI that weighs all of about 2 lbs. is $37.00 due to the length of the box needed.:eek:
That grill will for sure be in an oversized box. the first guy that contacted me got a quote of $275 to sip via UPS.
Torchie

Question..

I know that many of you have used the S-10 Chassis for the basis of your builds.
I'm contemplating a chassis swap on the Dodge ( For a number of reasons) and I found a 95 S-10 2 wheel base of 122.9. The Dodge is a 123.5 wheel base.
Two questions. Can I fudge the extra 1/2 inch?? with out stretching the frame? And what is the track width on the S-10. Backing plate to plate?
Thanks....
Torchie

I know that many of you have used the S-10 Chassis for the basis of your builds.
I'm contemplating a chassis swap on the Dodge ( For a number of reasons) and I found a 95 S-10 2 wheel base of 122.9. The Dodge is a 123.5 wheel base.
Two questions. Can I fudge the extra 1/2 inch?? with out stretching the frame? And what is the track width on the S-10. Backing plate to plate?
Thanks....
Torchie
(57.2″ front, 55.1″ rear) Lots of room for fat tires.

There are adapter plates to move the spring pin back. Or forward, I guess.
There are some great s10 sites out there. I referred to them to set up my chassis for the 39.

Not sure this will help Torchie, but maybe give you some idea...
not sure which S-10 frame, it wasn't cut that I could tell...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• columbus 2014 131.jpg
    columbus 2014 131.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 88
  • columbus 2014 132.jpg
    columbus 2014 132.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 87
The extra 1/2" is easy to position under the car.
Most likely if you center the fronts the rear wheels will be right.
Most manufactures have the rear axles a little too far forward. jmho
[P[P[P

Thanks for the responses gang!
I figured that with that little amount of difference I could do some fudging(if at all) to get it to fit.
I'm not usually a fan of frame swaps but by the time I get the OG Dodge frame to any where near drivability I'll be into it for $$$$
And it seems that locally at least everyone here was a Plymouth Fan.LOL
All has yet to be revealed...
Torchie

Torchie, French Lake is about an hour and a half away. I have a friend that goes there quite often. He's a good friend of the owner. When he gets back from a swap meet in Texas I'll see if he will look for a grille.

Torchie, French Lake is about an hour and a half away. I have a friend that goes there quite often. He's a good friend of the owner. When he gets back from a swap meet in Texas I'll see if he will look for a grille.

Thanks Bob. I really appreciate that!
They have a complete 50 Dodge Coronet that they are selling parts off of that I could use.
That's the problem with starting with just a shell and one of the reasons that I'm looking at a frame swap. I have no hood hinges. None of the hood latching or pans that go in front of the radiator.(These all work to brace the front fenders.
No inner or outer windshield trim. No Dash. Etc... You get the idea.
Some of the missing parts like the dash are NBD as I can cut and fit any 50's era dash that I find for the right price. Or make my own. But that front end bracing and hood hinge I would like to find stock.
As always. It's a process.:)
Torchie

(57.2″ front, 55.1″ rear) Lots of room for fat tires.

There are adapter plates to move the spring pin back. Or forward, I guess.
There are some great s10 sites out there. I referred to them to set up my chassis for the 39.

Skip.
If that tracking width of 57.2 is backing plate to backing plate the S-10 may be too wide for the Dosage as I'm showing a approx. width of about 50" give or take.
And approx. 60" inches from outside of tire to outside of tire.
Hmmmmm....
Torchie

Skip.
If that tracking width of 57.2 is backing plate to backing plate the S-10 may be too wide for the Dosage as I'm showing a approx. width of about 50" give or take.
And approx. 60" inches from outside of tire to outside of tire.
Hmmmmm....
Torchie
I just googled your question, and cut/pasted the result I got. It was for a mid-late 90s s10. i am using a mid-80s std/short. I assumed they would be the same. I know it will fit under the fenders of my 39 Ford PU with room for 15x8 wheels and wider tires.

I was planning on putting a Nova sub-frame under my 51 Ply, but it was pretty wide for that. I am told that the 49/50 Mopars are a bit narrower than the 51s. I guess measuring is best.

I just googled your question, and cut/pasted the result I got. It was for a mid-late 90s s10. i am using a mid-80s std/short. I assumed they would be the same. I know it will fit under the fenders of my 39 Ford PU with room for 15x8 wheels and wider tires.

I was planning on putting a Nova sub-frame under my 51 Ply, but it was pretty wide for that. I am told that the 49/50 Mopars are a bit narrower than the 51s. I guess measuring is best.

Indeed it is skip.
Things changed in 51 with wider and lower Mopars.
There is a 49 Wayfarer in my local yard (That I got the doors off of for trim and window Mechanicals.) but the hood is damaged(So is mine) and the front window outer trim is gone as well. even with this it still has all the under the hood stuff I would need. Plus some interior things like a dash and the 2 door folding front seat.
My hesitance in using the OG frame is the cost to up grade front brakes/rear end/steering. Not to mention adding and engine and trans.....
I know that nothing is cheap any more, but...... I apparently still am.:eek: [ddd
Torchie

The S10 swap is burning a hole in my head, Torchie. (Like I need another. I have trouble managing the mandatory holes.)

Here's the S10 frame...

attachment.php

Your Dodge frame...

attachment.php

To demonstrate a possible issue, I taped the S10 front to the Dodge rear, using axle centerline to locate...

attachment.php

You'll notice a substantial difference through the cowl area, where the Dodge frame is tapering inboard, the S10 is poking outboard. (This may, or may not be a problem for you.)

I had visions of putting an S10 chassis under my '38. (I actually bought an S10 following somebody's poor advice.) The wheelbase and track width were perfect, but that's where it ends... long story short, it's a miserable fit for my car. I'm not modifying the car and the frame to suit each other... different story if my floors were shot, but they're not.

Just sharing in case it helps. (I'd be mad at myself if you spend money, find issues and I didn't say anything.)

Another story: My good friend (Bill) also bought an S10 thinking he'd swap it under his '46 Chevy. His car was also in nice shape and his floors are excellent... he soon found what I found... many mods required. (I told him so!) Anyhow, Bill sold the running, driving S10, found a decrepit donor, clipped the S10 front to his frame and repurposed the rear axle.

A couple more pictures...

If I have it scaled correctly, the S10 "stub" should mate fairly well with your Dodge frame... if cut and glued like this...

attachment.php

And finally, Bill's '46 with S10 frame stub and rear axle.

attachment.php

P.S. The S10 frame has a tall, sloping rear "kick-up" and flat extension, best suited to a TRUCK. ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bill 465.JPG
    Bill 465.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Torchie frame s10.jpg
    Torchie frame s10.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 30
  • torchie frame S10 bare.jpg
    torchie frame S10 bare.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Torchie frame s10 - Copy.jpg
    Torchie frame s10 - Copy.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Torchie frame dimensions.jpg
    Torchie frame dimensions.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Torchie frame dimensions - Copy.jpg
    Torchie frame dimensions - Copy.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Torchie frame dimensions - Copy (2).jpg
    Torchie frame dimensions - Copy (2).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 29
WOW!
Thanks Crank.[cl
I have been searching for a frame chart for the Dodge and haven't been able to find one.

Like I said. I'm always inclined to use the OG frame and do what every mods are needed. In my mind it ends up being way less work and always a better fit.
I guess in some ways I'm trying to cut corners a much as I can as I don't seem to be moving forward very fast on this project.
There is some damage to the bottom of the front cross member on this frame (Should be repairable). There is a disc break conversion available as well that uses the stock spindles and fits the stock Dodge rims. So I dig that.
Also a Mopar small block engine and trans mount set that allows for a offset to clear the stock steering box.
From my research a Volare or Aspen rear end should work as well. I will be on the hunt for one of those come spring time(If it ever gets here).
I need to keep reminding my self that when I got this one I did it not with the concern of ever finishing it but with keeping at it as long as I can.
Between the eye surgeries and what seems like an endless list of cancelled and rescheduled Drs. appointments and other issues this winter I'm not in the best state of mind lately.
Doing my best to keep on keeping on.......:cool:
Torchie

Torchie,

Here are 49-52 frame dimensions from the Dodge manual.

Attachments

• 1949-1952 DODGE Frame.pdf
    279.6 KB · Views: 6
And here are the 2 other pages in the frame section of the manual.

Attachments

• 1949-1952 DODGE SHOP MANUAL frame 2.pdf
    61.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1949-1952 DODGE SHOP MANUAL frame 3.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
Joedoh should be able to give you some good measurements Torchie. He seems to always have a S10 frame laying around under something.....[ddd

Latest posts

Back