Starting to build the '39 Dodge truck again.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching but I haven't commented yet. I sure hope you guys make it. I was really hoping to see Dan's car in person this year at the TRR but watching this build and then looking the truck over there will be just as cool. Good work Don and Dan.

I thought I should bring the Dodge build up to date. Bottom line is that we have pushed it back into the corner until after Daytona. :( The reason is that Dan pulled me aside and asked if we could instead concentrate our efforts on getting his Brother's T bucket done for the Turkey Run. Don has had a couple of rough years (marriage, job) but is now getting back on his feet. Dan felt getting the T done would give him a morale boost and let him start enjoying things again. I couldn't argue with the logic.

So.........we have been knee deep in getting Don's T bucket done for the past week or so, and have really made some progress, especially yesterday. For the past week, Don and I have been getting things ready for Dan to come in yesterday and do the final welding. It is a Total Performance car, but we are using only some things from the kit. We didn't like their frame, so we built a new one out of 2 x 3 ... 3/16 wall tubing as opposed to their 1.5 x 3 ... 1/8 wall tubing frame. This changed some dimensions and some parts from the kit would no longer fit.

One of the biggest offenders was the bracket they use to mount the steering box, brake pedal, and master cylinder all in one. The kit is designed to use a Chevy 350/350 combo and we are using a Ford 306 w/ C4 tranny. The crossmember was right where the master cylinder had to go, so Dan built an entirely new mount for all of it and got it to fit. Took a lot of time to engineer it to work well, but the new setup works great and fits nicely.

We all worked from noon Saturday til about 3:30 AM Sunday and got it up on wheels. Even got the Walker radiator and grille shell mounted. The only welding left is the battery box and a few minor items like brake line tabs. We should have no trouble getting it done as Don had previously bought all the big stuff and had it sitting, waiting. He even has the complete interior in the box.

Today Don and I are going to start wooding the body. His pushrods and some small engine parts are coming this week, so we can button up the engine then. Should run pretty well, it is a pretty radical 30 over 302 Ford that he was building for his dragrace Capri. The X cam should be pretty lumpy through open headers. :D:D Can't wait to hear this one fire up.

Don

Attachments

• dons t more work 003.jpg
    dons t more work 003.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 68
  • dons t more work 002.jpg
    dons t more work 002.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 71
  • dons t more work 006.jpg
    dons t more work 006.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 77
  • dons t more work 005.jpg
    dons t more work 005.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 79
  • dons t more work 011.jpg
    dons t more work 011.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 87
Now where r those turkeys runnin' to!?!?

Don,
As always... great work althought for selfish reasons I hate to see ya drop the truck for now but who knows... teh old Tripper may just show up for Turkey Run too!!!

BoB

That's great of you and Dan to throw in and help get that project ready for Daytona for Don. I'm starting to get suspicious that you guys are trying to break the record for pre-show build thrashes:D. Those mounts look real nice too, but I'm not suprised. You guys do nice work.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure any of us are supposed to actually have a running, driving car ! :( Just when we start getting close we change horses. :D

Dan's '29 is going back under the knife and is going to take at least another year to finish. His Brother and I are both amazed that he is going to make pretty much a total revamp of it, but he knows what he wants and is determined to do it a certain way. The one benefit is that Don and I have been the recipients of lots of stuff he is casting off. I'm getting his louvered bed cover for the Dodge, and Don is getting a bunch of stuff too.

He's made me promise not to say anything to anyone about exactly what he is up to, but after hearing his plans I have to agree it will be nice when done. (however, some very big boxes arrived from Brookville Roadster Friday. :eek:)

Today Don and I were too tired from the 15 hour marathon yesterday to do anything much, but we got his windshield mounted and measured his tie rod and drag link so we can get them ordered from Speedway. Here are some current shots of what we got done today.

Don

Attachments

• dons t more work 018.jpg
    dons t more work 018.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 53
  • dons t more work 019.jpg
    dons t more work 019.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 53
  • dons t more work 021.jpg
    dons t more work 021.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 44
  • dons t more work 022.jpg
    dons t more work 022.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 49
  • dons t more work 023.jpg
    dons t more work 023.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 49
He's made me promise not to say anything to anyone about exactly what he is up to, but after hearing his plans I have to agree it will be nice when done. (however, some very big boxes arrived from Brookville Roadster Friday. :eek:)
Don

Don, the suspense is killing me on this one. I'm very curious. At least he takes good pics so he can go back and and look at all the cars....uh....er....car he had.:D. Well at least that Brooksville Roadster hint narrowed it down for us.

I have no idea why the secrecy, but I think he just didn't want to admit he found things about his RPU he didn't like. He says he sort of went at it backwards when he started with the sedan and then had to make things on the RPU fit that frame and all, so it was somewhat of a compromise and disproportionate in his opinion (not mine). He ordered a new Model A bed from Brookville and is building a new frame entirely........no airbags this time, just regular cross spring suspension.

I think what happened was that the RPU took so long to build that he was starting to second guess himself and began to pick it apart. Plus, he found some rods online that he liked and decided to go for that look. He's also talking flathead, now that he saw the one Shine had built. I see him doing research on those French ones that are brand new blocks.

Oh well, it makes him happy, so who am I to say anything. :):):)

Don

Fraim

Very NICE work Don,, I looked for a thread on your truck and was unable to locate it. I'm going to be building the same truck (kinda) and looking for fraim ideas. Can you help me out on your fraim build. Thank's Perry.

I , for one would like to see TLC document Don`s build`s..... now if we could just get him to swear and throw things ....:D

Oh man, I wish I was your neighbor. You'd have to beat me with a stick to keep me outta your garage. The things I could learn in there.

You gotta make a logo for the cowl of your roadster and the doors of the truck. "DON'S Garage"

Hi Don, I'm blown away by the quality work - again! I have your suicide axle build bookmarked!!!! :D
I have some questions if you don't mind.
In the truck, what tranny is that? I pulled parts at a friends salvage part of high school and college, I got to see some unusual ones, but mostly the normal ones.

On the T build. Can you post a pic of how you are mounting the glass body to the wood? I have never seen one done and ended up with a glass body in a parts buy. Mine is pretty old, the glass is getting rubbery, but is still usable. I'm going to mount it to a T frame and suspension with a 44 Studebaker flathead 6 and radiator.
Thanks
Greg

Oh man, I wish I was your neighbor. You'd have to beat me with a stick to keep me outta your garage. The things I could learn in there.

You gotta make a logo for the cowl of your roadster and the doors of the truck. "DON'S Garage"

Hummm, that would be dangerous, then everyone would know it's him and be following him home..... He would run out of sticks pretty fast. How about we just try and get adopted by him????

Latest posts

Back