1952? International /1983 Chev: Match made in hell!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceKoukalaka

I just got this little beauty and am going to put the '83 Chev drivetrain under it as well as the front suspension. I am planning on using the stock frame and grinding the rivets off for the parts that don't quite work for me !!! In case anyone is curious why: I hate the way these GM products look (the '83 was mine for doing a tune up on a '97 Chebby) .

Attachments

• 2012-10-20 13.42.17.jpg
    2012-10-20 13.42.17.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4542.JPG
    IMG_4542.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hey Bruce

Keep us in the loop on this rebuild. I want to do an old Dodge (early 50's) onto a early 1980's Dodge 1/2 ton truck frame. The track width on these full size trucks appears to be a better match than the smaller S10's that everybody is building. I cant wait to see how it looks as you progress along.

MikeC

MORE POWER requirement

=BruceKoukalaka- to quote Tim the tool man Taylor MORE POWER Oh Oh Oh !!!:cool::cool::cool:

BUT, can ya drive yourself to hospital while bleeding:D

Later :cool:

maybe when he said "grinding the rivets off" he meant he was using the whole Chevy frame to put the binder on instead of putting the narrow chevy front cradle into the binder (my first assumption)

I put a 63 GMC onto a 75 frame pretty easily just swapping body mounts and stuff

If you are using the whole chevy frame pay attention to the kidney shaped reinforcing pan spotwelded to the firewall on the chevy.
Your brakes and your steering column bolt to this. If you transfer this to the firewall of the binder or at least transfer this layout then you can install the steering column, foot feeds, and brakes as an integrated unit

The chevy frame has more of a kick-up behind the cab than the binder frame which may become a consideration.

Also if you get under it you can see the driver's side of the chevy frame under the cab is not shaped or laid out the same as the passenger side.
Not an issue if your making your own mounts. It's just not symetrical where they chose to kick back up looking back...

frame-LFQ1.jpg

maybe when he said "grinding the rivets off" he meant he was using the whole Chevy frame to put the binder on instead of putting the narrow chevy front cradle into the binder (my first assumption)

I put a 63 GMC onto a 75 frame pretty easily just swapping body mounts and stuff

If you are using the whole chevy frame pay attention to the kidney shaped reinforcing pan spotwelded to the firewall on the chevy.
Your brakes and your steering column bolt to this. If you transfer this to the firewall of the binder or at least transfer this layout then you can install the steering column, foot feeds, and brakes as an integrated unit

The chevy frame has more of a kick-up behind the cab than the binder frame which may become a consideration.

Also if you get under it you can see the driver's side of the chevy frame under the cab is not shaped or laid out the same as the passenger side.
Not an issue if your making your own mounts. It's just not symetrical where they chose to kick back up looking back...

View attachment 88911

I do mean cutting both frames up. and making some sections as needed.

Wife says clear out some of the clutter so these 2 are on the sale block! I already started ripping the L110 apart so the engine is in pieces, the parts I needed are saved so the rest is going :( I hadn't touched the 2500 so no big loss there.(I have always had an aversion to Chev pickup trucks) However this does mean my R130 is back on track. The engine parts I needed are here in my garage ready to send over to the machine shop and I have the front bumper with the optional bumperettes attached clean them up and re-chrome for a bit of class on an old work horse.

The '52 'Binder is gone and I actually plated the '83 Chevy just as a parts chaser/winter beater. After my '53 R130 is finished I'll start looking for another truck to put together with this drivetrain. [ddd I'm still debating on getting my International cabover from the wrecking yard and building my own frame, combining the 2 trucks into a working unit. I love 'binders .

It may not be dead and buried, I'm thinking of doing it with my R160 when we move to the new place. I have a '53 R160 International sitting 5 hours drive from here and I have no interest in putting it together stock as it has just a cab & chassis (a very long chassis I might add).[;)[;)[;)

Ah geeze. Killed before it even started :/
I was looking forward to a binder/chev hybrid.
Working on one myself. 50 L110 and 68 C10.
Oh well.

I'm hoping to see your build and when I start mine we can compare[cl[dr[cl maybe even do a bit of competing [ddd[;)[ddd

Here are a couple of pics of my '53s

Attachments

• IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 9
  • b68d3d22.jpg
    b68d3d22.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back