1930 model a pickup rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem is that I have the top hinge right in the middle of the window. I will have to cut below that one to get the right amount.

cross steering problem!!

So my cross steering is hitting the bottom of my wishbones. I have a vega box that I bought for 125 used. I was thinking of trying to figure out the cross steering one more time, or flipping it upside down and putting my pitman bar up instead of down for traditional steering. I would like to stay with the cross steering. Ideas?

IMHO your build would look better with a traditional steering set up. You can always move the box so you won't need to flip the pitman over.

However, if you are dead set on going with the cross steer you can purchase wishbones with a cut out for the steering. You could also modify your to make it work.

You can also look at it from an overall standpoint and figure out where to move the various parts in order for it to clear.

The only problem is that I have the top hinge right in the middle of the window. I will have to cut below that one to get the right amount.

I was away, sorry for the delay in responding....anyway that will work fine...mine is a 32 and the hinges are in a different location than yours...but if you make the cut lowerer than the hinge through the door and the post together it will work out...if you wrap wide tape around everything the cuts will stay uniform....also \i would go with the traditional steering and not the cross steer imo...I don't know down there but up here we cannot modify steering arms and get it passed for safety inspections.

Talks to the guys at Honest Charlie's and the guys set me up with some 5" drop steering arms. I think that is going to work out. I don't want to do a cowl steering setup because all my electrical and pedals are going up in the dash and I am 6"1. I need all the leg room I can get. I can't put a reverse box on the frame because making my headers work would be impossible. I will post up more pic once I get the rear axle on and steering arms installed this weekend. I will also check on the tape to see how much to chop.:cool:

So I came across a thread on jalopyjournal.com that a guy built hinges for his model A. I didn't have the driver side bottom hinge so I thought, "what the hell", and gave it a shot. They are pretty proud of those hinges with an $80 price tag. Turned out pretty damn good. I have to do some grinding to clean it up but for my rat project, it will work. I'm just one step closer to party time.

Attachments

• rathinge1.jpg
    rathinge1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 96
  • rathinge2.jpg
    rathinge2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 83
Rollin'

Boys.........We got ourselves a rollin' chassis!!!![cl

Attachments

• ratrod3.jpg
    ratrod3.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 99
  • ratrod4.jpg
    ratrod4.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 125
Thanks! I got my new steering arms in but they still didn't work. Not low enough. I pulled both hubs off to get the steering arms changed. Not fun after the 5th time. To get them to work I flipped my wishbones and BAMMM! It worked. The pic of the wishbones was before the flip. Not sure if it is the right way or if there could be a problem. I've seen them both ways. It cleans up the front though in my opinion.:cool:

Attachments

• wishbone unflipped.jpg
    wishbone unflipped.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 116
  • cross steering.jpg
    cross steering.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 132
heres mine ryan... but i have a speedway 4'' drop tube type

Attachments

• rat rod front.jpg
    rat rod front.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 79
Thats looking pretty good! I think I am going to have to pie cut my wishbones. I don't think I have enough caster on my axle. It is almost at 0 degrees. I'm in for a fun weekend.[;)

If you pie cut, so you don't have to move the rear mounting points, remember you'll have to adjust the spring perch also!! Otherwise it will bind!!
It's never simple is it?? ha ha

**update**

So I had a busy weekend. I ripped apart my frontend and piecut my wishbones to get my 6-7 degree castor for my axle. I also cut and welded my radiator bracket and mounted the radiator.[;)

Attachments

• ratrodroller.jpg
    ratrodroller.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 88
  • ratrodroller2.jpg
    ratrodroller2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 90
  • PIECUTWISHBONES.jpg
    PIECUTWISHBONES.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 93
I hate to bring this up but now it looks like you need to reposition your spring mount on the crossmember the same number of degrees to take the bind out of the shackles.

I had a couple Model A pickups years ago so I am really liking your project. Keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back