1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your support and from all the others too. Hey, things can always change with regard to the trunk corners - I'm considering rounding just the top corners [S - nothing is cast in stone...
For the roof skin I'm going to go to Pick n Pull when I get time to scalp another 90's Lincoln Town Car like I did for the 34 Caddy - it's just about the largest smooth roofed car I've found in 'late model' boneyards. The shape works nicely and I don't feel bad as if I'd taken a scalp from some older car. (I don't like the ribbed van roofs :p)

I agree that the ribbed roof skins don't look right on vintage iron.

Looking at your pics I envisioned just the top corners of the trunk lid curved a bit, and the bottom edge with a curve in it to mimic the rear window a bit. I wasn't trying to criticize, I know whatever you do will look great in the end!

After several days of welding, grinding, hammering and sanding, all those tacked together bits have become one. After studying it for a while, I decided to round the top corners of the trunk opening to pick up on the curve of the window. The bottom corners will stay square to match the bottom corners of the body and the fender peaks which also line up with the body sides.

Attachments

• DSC01782.jpg
    DSC01782.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC01781.jpg
    DSC01781.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC01780.jpg
    DSC01780.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC01779.jpg
    DSC01779.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC01778.jpg
    DSC01778.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 139
Looks great.I was working on mine this week.I took the grill +shell off and I noticed the grill can open+close,I never noticed it before.Thats some crazy stuff.I got it sitting in my living room,I show it to my friends when they come over.Keep up the great work..

Good Job

Looks great. Do you plan to set it up as a roller before migrating south for the winter? If so, we all look forward to your frame/suspension choices.

Looks great.I was working on mine this week.I took the grill +shell off and I noticed the grill can open+close,I never noticed it before.Thats some crazy stuff.I got it sitting in my living room,I show it to my friends when they come over.Keep up the great work..

My buddy has a 37 Packard convertible coupe (roadster) with that moveable grille option, I always loved that feature.

Looks great. Do you plan to set it up as a roller before migrating south for the winter? If so, we all look forward to your frame/suspension choices.

That's the plan, after making the trunk lid, it's onto the frame building, I have the steel for it, it will have 2x6" rails. Waiting for a Heidts MII front end to arrive - for the rear I have 9" Ford unit which I will be narrowing once the new axles come in.

Looks great. I just had a crazy thought, hinge the trunk lid on the left and open it like a door. No ducking under to get in the boot. :D

I am always amazed by how quick you work, and the level of craftsmanship.
You always give the rest of us something to shoot for in our builds, and a great deal of inspiration!

I'm happily watching this build, awaiting more progress!

[P[P[P

Looking very very good. The rounded corners are way better[cl
Its going to be a long winter waiting to see this come together[P.

Made a frame for the trunk lid from 1/2" square tube and got it mounted and latched with a small bearclaw latch. Making the hinges was fun, took 3 tries to get it right...[S[;)
Welded on the 18ga. skin and mounted it for look-see. Also put the fenders back on for the full effect of how the Packards' new hiney looks. Some tweaking and fitting to do yet on the lid but it looks right at home. :)

Attachments

• DSC01783.jpg
    DSC01783.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC01785.jpg
    DSC01785.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC01788.jpg
    DSC01788.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC01787.jpg
    DSC01787.jpg