1968 Dodge D200

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franktiregod

Not sure how to list this but I would say more progress than build. Its not a full restoration but it will be nice when done.

I ran across this truck on a facebook sale page a couple of months ago. The guy I bought it from had just bought it from the original owners a couple of months before.

It was bought in Atlanta, Ga in 1968 and paid off in 1973. In 1978 the seat was recovered. The receipt was sticking in the springs.

It had been sitting many, many years as you will see from the wheel cylinder pictures. I got it home and installed a clean fuel filter, cleaned the plugs and fogged the cylinders, then got it running. It ran smoother than I thought it would on old parts, a dried up carb, bad gas, etc.

I replaced all the hoses, the water pump, and t'stat. Then I rebuilt all the brakes, replace the master cylinder, lines, and the outer wheels bearings in the rear.

I then rebuilt the carb. I pulled the sending unit to see why the fuel gauge wasnt working. Then I pulled the whole tank to clean it and look for the float and sock that werent on the sending unit. I found out later these trucks did not come with a sock but I added one. So I had the tank dipped, patched, and sealed, got a new sock and float but the unit didnt work so I ordered a new repro one that was junk. I then ordered a good used one that works great,

I cleaned it up, removed the mirrors, fog lights, and camper. I sold the camper for 100 bucks. My son said I should have paid the guy to take it.

The body is fairly solid with only a couple of places needing serious attention. The hood is the worst of it. Most of it is solid.

I painted the stock wheels only to make it look better til I replaced them. Which I did with some late model Ram 2500 wheels.

My gf Angie worked hard on it too.

I was able to drive it down the street a few times. Those bias ply tires had some serious flat spots from sitting. It was not a smooth ride. I did that before bringing it back in to pull the tank.

The plan is to make it a running daily driver, replace the windshield gasket that is leaking, change the interior to black, fix the few spots, paint it blue, and add carpet, etc. I will post pics as it goes.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 23
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 28
The brakes and wheel cylinders were a mess.

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 11
The gas tank is now cleaned, sealed, and in place

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 8
Some before and after (so far) pictures

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
Thank you very much!

I have to include these pictures.

When I posted the pics of the truck to my FB page, my son posted this picture in the comments. So I went out and made the second picture. The resemblance is amazing. :)

Attachments

• 74.jpg
    74.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 28
she cleaned up really nice! I must say I liked the steel wheels with dog dishes better.... oh well...taste... Great score man!

That old girl cleaned up nice! I had a Great Uncle who had the 1/2 ton version of that same truck with the leaning tower of power slant six. Rode a many of a mile in that old Dodge.
The Duster is looking good, too!

Thank you

Actually I liked the steel wheel look too. But I didnt like those 750-16.5 bias ply tires with split rims.

I was in the tire business for 27 years and I started as a warehouseman and tire changer. They can have split rims. LOL

But once they were cleaned up and painted they looked really good on there. I still have them and the mirrors that came off it.

Thank you very much!

I have to include these pictures.

When I posted the pics of the truck to my FB page, my son posted this picture in the comments. So I went out and made the second picture. The resemblance is amazing. :)
You and your son have great seances of humor. The resemblance IS amazing. :) The pose is perfect. Both great story tellers. Good stuff.

Thank you. He is a character, for sure. And he bought the house next door to me a few moths ago so its cars and motorcycles everywhere here.

Nice solid looking truck. Especially for a Dodge. Around here , you won't find much below the door handles.

My best buddy has a 3/4 ton Dodge like this. He has been trying to find it a new home for years. People either want it for free, or want it to run and be perfect for a couple hundred. Go figure.

Nice solid looking truck. Especially for a Dodge. Around here , you won't find much below the door handles.

Lol

I had a friend who moved here from Indiana. I met him when he bought a parts car I had and put it back on the road. He was shocked at what we consider parts cars. I was shocked at what they consider repairable.

My best buddy has a 3/4 ton Dodge like this. He has been trying to find it a new home for years. People either want it for free, or want it to run and be perfect for a couple hundred. Go figure.

I looked at this truck on a Friday. Someone from Jacksonville had told him they wanted to pick it up on Saturday. That night I saw someone who I assumed to be the Jacksonville man ask him was it a D100 or D200. He told them it was a 200

He called me and told me the Jacksonville guy backed out because it was a 200. I said that's funny because that's the reason I wanted it.

I got a good deal on the truck but i have really put some work and money into it. It sat for many, many years. It needed anything that could go bad from sitting.

Latest posts

Back