Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some help so I started to section the DS door.
There is a brace right in the middle of it so that needs to be avoided.
I am peeling back the folded over edge and cut only the inner door.
Almost done with the cutting but need a longer blade to go thru the area that the hinges bolt to. So that's for tomorrow.
Thanks for visiting...
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Torchie's got his motor running! No stopping him now. This is a tremendous learning opportunity that I'll never put to use.

Torchie's got his motor running! No stopping him now. This is a tremendous learning opportunity that I'll never put to use.

LOL. "Everydays a school day"bob.
Truthfully I felt like run over crap this morning but I don't get help often so out I went.
Felt better afterwards.:D
Torchie

Shoot..just saw some continental spare tire kit parts...

I saw a complete setup on the Kustom Klassifieds here on FB. $400 which is a good price. It also sold in less the 24 hours.
I'm not 100 percent on the Connie kit yet smallfoot. Like fender skirts some people love them or hate them. They weren't used much back in the day but Father Larry Ernst had Barris use one on his.
I would probably have to extend the rear fenders to make it look right.
We shall see.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 17120922569_60c44251e5_b.jpg
    17120922569_60c44251e5_b.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 25
I saw a complete setup on the Kustom Klassifieds here on FB. $400 which is a good price. It also sold in less the 24 hours.
I'm not 100 percent on the Connie kit yet smallfoot. Like fender skirts some people love them or hate them. They weren't used much back in the day but Father Larry Ernst had Barris use one on his.
I would probably have to extend the rear fenders to make it look right.
We shall see.....
Torchie

You're right Torchie, most continental kits need the quarters extended to look like they're not an afterthought.

You've done the impossible, you took the ugly out of this Mopar and made it look like it should have! Awesome work!

Seems like that pacemaker has sped you up a bit :p

Couldn't help myself.

A high school classmate owned one with a Olds engine.

Loved that car.

Did a search; I like reading about the background to these old customs.

https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Larry_Ernst's_1951_Chevrolet

I love it too hans.
That pic was taken at the Detroit Autorama when it was shown a couple of years ago. A perfect copy of the 2nd version of that car exists as the guy that built it had access to the original for measurements.. Father Larry Ernst had some great customs and was a homie from Detroit.
Thanks snopro. I'm working at it.
Torchie

This will be another two parter.

Finished cutting thru the DS door today.
Pulled the bottom inner door section out and cleaned it up. Gave it a good dose of rustoleum inside and out.
Put the two sections together and tacked it.
To be continued.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Part two.

Got the bottom and top section of the inner door back together.
Trimmed off some of the overhanging door skin but left extra to be trimmed again and folded over later.
I will also post pics later of how the inner door halves lined up. There will be relief cuts needed but it went well as evidenced by the pic that shows the curve of the quarter panel and the door.
All in all I'm happy with the fit. It still needs tweaking but getting there.
Hanging that heavy door by myself self pretty much did me in.:eek:
Couldn't resist cover up the scars and throwing the poster board skirts back on...
Thanks for visiting.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-17.jpg
    2-17.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-16.jpg
    2-16.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-15.jpg
    2-15.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-14.jpg
    2-14.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 22
Do you verify hinge alignment before welding up the door?

Nope.....:D
You got to have faith brother.:)
Skip..
The upper hinge on the cowl did not change it's position nor its relationship to where it bolts to the door. So i knew there should not be issues with that one. Should there be a problem it will be with the bottom hinge where it attaches to the inner door. I have one bolt in each and things looked good. But again. Thats why I only tacked in case adjustments need to be made.
There is a Little bit of wiggle room in the hinge holes.
I will go into the car thru the PS and put the rest of the door bolts in without having to open the DS door. But not tomorrow as I can already feel my back from wrestling with that door.
Torchie

Last edited:
This is a tremendous learning opportunity that I'll never put to use.

I'm with Uncle Bob. (I doubt I'll ever attempt a project of this magnitude.)

Thanks for showing us how it's done step by step, Torchie. Most persons (myself included) wouldn't have a clue how to properly achieve a chopped and sectioned custom. [cl

I'm with Uncle Bob. (I doubt I'll ever attempt a project of this magnitude.)

Thanks for showing us how it's done step by step, Torchie. Most persons (myself included) wouldn't have a clue how to properly achieve a chopped and sectioned custom. [cl

I've done a few of both and the old guy is teaching me a thing or two. [;)
Thanks Torchie, youdaman[cl

Thanks gang!! :D
I will do the trunk lid next.
I believe that I may have to cut thru the skin on that but not sure as I haven't taken a real good look at it.
Then it's just repeat on the other side. and LOTS of[;) [;) [;)
Taking tomorrow off for sure.
Torchie

Will you be installing window glass, and if so, will the window & lock mechanisms still fit in through the (now) smaller access holes? (At least if I am understanding how the top & bottom sections went back together on the inner door panel.)

Will you be installing window glass, and if so, will the window & lock mechanisms still fit in through the (now) smaller access holes? (At least if I am understanding how the top & bottom sections went back together on the inner door panel.)

There will be window glass Neto.
The 3 inch section equals the 3 inch chop which means 3 inches taken out of the windshield and door glass. So all should go up and down as stock.
I left the rear window stock to avoid having to cut curved glass. All other glass is flat and will just need patterns made.
It will just have to be cut down which is standard with any top chop.
Locks/door systems is just how it was from the factory and i can open up the access holes for the window mechanisms if needed.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back