Baby it's cold outside

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanna know who left the freezer door open and let that cold stuff get down here? [S Rain all day yesterday with falling temps, got down to 34* last night, not above 38* here all day today but feels colder than that. Went out and checked the oil and tightened up the lug nuts on wife's cousin's car, and went right back in to the heater!

Supposed to start raining again tonight and warm back up to the 50's, then back down to the 20's by Tuesday. Damn, I'm ready for spring already![cl

Warmed up a bit this afternoon. A whopping 26 degrees outside. It's amazing how 10 degrees difference can feel when it's this cold. Of course, I was still wearing a long sleeve t shirt, a short sleeve t shirt, a sweatshirt, a carhardt jacket, 2 pairs of long johns, wool socks, insulated work boots, and jeans. I can't wait til it hits +10 degrees. It'll be short sleeve shirt weather after this.

-11 here in eastern Oregon. Makes me glad I don't work outside anymore except I hate going to work on my car in the garage when its like this. This is the coldest its been here in the 13 years I have been here.

Bought mine new in 01 and it has never done either one of those. Didn't know it was supposed to on the 01's :confused:
Starts immediately and runs smooth no matter the temp :D
The only time it has ever failed me was when the batteries went bad or the following.
Here's a bit of info you need to take heed to !!!!! The lift pumps are notorious for failing, which is only a $150 to $300 dollar fix. The bad part is when it fails, it takes out the $1,000 to $1,500 dollar VP44 injector pump :mad:
You can guess how I know this right ? I bought a VP44 pump with an Air Dog lift pump/filter, from Thoroughbred Diesel and bypassed the POS factory lift pump and filter. No more failures :cool:

I don't think 2nd gens have high idle. I had a 98.5 and I don't remember it doing that. My 03 does it below freezing.
I have an air dog on this truck. The 3rd gens got rid of the vp44 and thanks god!
I had an air dog on the 98.5 and the vp44 still went out. And it's a MOTHER to change on your own without the right tools!

My 03 had an in tank pump that crashed, so I went with the airdog.

4* this morning and I'm excited to hit the 20's later this week!
Lowest we got during this cold snap was -15*.

I started the 03 yesterday after it sat all week not plugged in and it wasn't too happy, but after a half hour, it started to think about blowing some warm air out of the vents :)
This truck never truely warms up at these temps, even when driving.

Last Monday it was +3 in my garage in Steamboat Springs CO. Then as I drove to work the outside temp gauge in my car proceeded down to -20 by the time I got to work 4 miles away. Since then the temps have been on the rise and then yesterday the cloud cover and some snow moved in so it was 17 above last night @ about 8:00 pm......balmy

I have a 03 cummins, it does the high idle also. I haven't been able to drive it since buying bad fuel a couple weeks ago. I haven't had any problems out of my 96 tho. I never plug it in and it has always fired right up.

Well, the crappy weather has moved east, and I became a victim of it....voluntarily. I live near the Pocono mountains of north eastern Pennsylvania, but I'm a die hard Redskins fan. So much so that I have season tickets to the Redskins games. Three and a half hours drive one way, but I happily do it 8 times a year...except today. After watching the weather for the last couple days, I just couldn't talk myself into taking the risk to drive down there today. They were calling for snow until around 1PM (game time) then turning to a "wintery mix". Sleet and freezing rain until 8 AM Monday morning. The snow doesn't bother me, but the combination of ice, freezing rain, and DC area drivers scare the crap out of me (more the other drivers then anything).

I don't think 2nd gens have high idle. I had a 98.5 and I don't remember it doing that. My 03 does it below freezing.
I have an air dog on this truck. The 3rd gens got rid of the vp44 and thanks god!
I had an air dog on the 98.5 and the vp44 still went out. And it's a MOTHER to change on your own without the right tools!

My 03 had an in tank pump that crashed, so I went with the airdog.

4* this morning and I'm excited to hit the 20's later this week!
Lowest we got during this cold snap was -15*.

I started the 03 yesterday after it sat all week not plugged in and it wasn't too happy, but after a half hour, it started to think about blowing some warm air out of the vents :)
This truck never truely warms up at these temps, even when driving.

I had an 03 and you're only partially correct about the vp44. The early 03's had a vp44. There was a recall on the in tank lift pump so they removed that and placed it on the firewall. Around March of 03 is when they went away from the vp44 to common rail. So if you had one built between Nov of 02 and Feb of 03, it had the vp. If it was built after, they would have the common rail system. Also, if it was an HO, it had a few differences in the fuel injection programming. My 03 never kicked into hi idle but it did do the skip fire under 37* F. During the summer I never plugged it in but winter I had to up here. Traded that in for a 13 1/2 ton gasser when it hit 240k miles cause I was tired of putting money into the front end. The 4x4 models just don't have the suspension to hold up to the weight of the engine.

I have a 03 cummins, it does the high idle also. I haven't been able to drive it since buying bad fuel a couple weeks ago. I haven't had any problems out of my 96 tho. I never plug it in and it has always fired right up.

Did you accidentally get summer blend so it's already gelling up or is it just full of gunk? If it gelled up, find a heated blanket and wrap the fuel tank in it on full heat.

i would like it enabled to warm the engine faster because of my short 3.6 mile commute.
BTW with my front grill blocked on the outside of the truck and it plugged in
at 10f it was blowing warm air within one city block and up to 190f within 2 miles.

It's amazing what plugging in and a hood blanket will do. I still need to make some grill plates for my 13. Even though it's a gasser it still takes half an hour to warm up. Even plugged in.

this sounds dumb but it works great.
i bought some black rubber contact paper (it is removable so it isnt really sticky)
cut it into the shapes i needed for my grill holes
and just stuck it on there.
it cost probably a dollar per vehicle.
i am going to do the same thing to my hotrod
it does the job and looks ok.

and yes
that subzero rated 100 foot extension cord is locked to the bumper.
i dont need someone running off with it.......:D

Latest posts

Back