46 Ford is now home

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6 Skullz

In my new guy thread I have been posting some pics of a field find I got lucky on and bought. I got her home and mocked up so I figured Id share them here as well. Over the last couple of days trying to find out exactly what it is I'm pretty sure it's a 46 ford business coupe but that's not what they are technically called. It is the short door so that's why I've been told biz coupe. I found a badge in the trunk that says deluxe on it so if one of you much wiser ford guys can set me straight I would greatly appreciate it! 1st pic is in the field, 2nd is loading and the next 2 are at the house.

Attachments

• coupe5.JPG
    coupe5.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 71
  • day13.JPG
    day13.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 46home1.JPG
    46home1.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 67
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 65
It is for sure a 46, the parking lights are above the grill on 46, round and under the headlights on 47-48. Deluxe was the standard model, Super Deluxe was top of the line. I'm not sure if they call that an opera coupe or a business coupe, IIRC business coupe didn't have a back seat, only a flat shelf.

Looks nice.
Run the numbers if you don't have a title as I have seen 47's with the parking lights up where the 46's that Bam mentioned belong.
Also have seen and heard of stone stock factory originals with wrong year trim on them.:eek::eek:
Old Henry never wasted anything.
Long doors were known offically as "Sedan" coupes. Short doors as "Business" coupes.The sedan coupes doors are the same as a 2 door sedans.
Deluxe-Super Deluxe were trim levels.
The numbers for your car will be stamped on the Drivers side frame near the front cross member. Some times they will be hard to find due to rust, dirt , grease, ect.
What are your plans?
Hope to see abuild thread.
Torchie.

Alright thanks for the info, I could only make out 3 letters on the plate mounted to the fire wall DAL. I'm a budget builder, I make a good living but I don't have the kinda money some of these builders do to go all in. I do however have a nice sbc 350 with your standard performance add ons a 4 speed Saginaw which is not my 1st choice but I think my 700r might work just fine. My buddy that owns the scrap yard here in town said he'll get me a 9 in for $20 over scrap weight...cant beat that. No rot on this car anywhere, only patina. Seat redone carpet, the headliner bows are there so I'm good and I'll have to make some patterns to get door panels and the likes. Other than that and some paint I think I'll be where I can get without pulling out the coffee can stash which momma has hidden from me anyway. Ideas are welcome as I'm not dead set on any one plan and I look forward to starting a build thread.

From your picture of it just sitting in the field , it didnt look that grate .... but now its a roller . that thing looks alot better for some reason... I dont know why but I think that will turn out to be a nice car . cant wait to see what you do with it[P

Alright thanks for the info, I could only make out 3 letters on the plate mounted to the fire wall DAL. I'm a budget builder, I make a good living but I don't have the kinda money some of these builders do to go all in. I do however have a nice sbc 350 with your standard performance add ons a 4 speed Saginaw which is not my 1st choice but I think my 700r might work just fine. My buddy that owns the scrap yard here in town said he'll get me a 9 in for $20 over scrap weight...cant beat that. No rot on this car anywhere, only patina. Seat redone carpet, the headliner bows are there so I'm good and I'll have to make some patterns to get door panels and the likes. Other than that and some paint I think I'll be where I can get without pulling out the coffee can stash which momma has hidden from me anyway. Ideas are welcome as I'm not dead set on any one plan and I look forward to starting a build thread.

There will be all kinds of numbers stamped all over that car. Most of them mean absolutly nothing anymore as they had to do with factory and production stuff.
The numbers on the drivers side frame top should be the ones that are on the title(If you have one).
You can generate some build cash by selling the original parts that you aren't using . Some one is always looking for a flathead. Even if all it does is spin. Trans. Pedals.Rear end and torque tube drive shaft as well. Remember. They haven't made some of this stuff since 1946-48.
Torchie.

On the little aluminium plate high up on the firewall there will be a line with serial# on it. There will be a two stage number after the word, with a hyphen in between. The last two digits in the first set of numbers tells you the year. In my pictures there's a 1948, and two 1950's.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
On the little aluminium plate high up on the firewall there will be a line with serial# on it. There will be a two stage number after the word, with a hyphen in between. The last two digits in the first set of numbers tells you the year. In my pictures there's a 1948, and two 1950's.

Must Be a Canadian Thing.:eek:
As far as I know Ford didn't but Serial number tags on cars untill 1949.
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Torchie

My 47 Lincoln has a tag with numbers on it, but it's not the serial number, it's the body design number.

I'm with Torchie, I've never saw serial number tags like that on US Ford's before 1949.

i couldn't tell you anything on that, but torchie got me on the sedan coupe. i guess us southern boys just heard opera and business coupes. i still learn new things.:D[cl

My 47 Lincoln has a tag with numbers on it, but it's not the serial number, it's the body design number.

I'm with Torchie, I've never saw serial number tags like that on US Ford's before 1949.

nice start, i'll watch for a build thread.

In my new guy thread I have been posting some pics of a field find I got lucky on and bought. I got her home and mocked up so I figured Id share them here as well. Over the last couple of days trying to find out exactly what it is I'm pretty sure it's a 46 ford business coupe but that's not what they are technically called. It is the short door so that's why I've been told biz coupe. I found a badge in the trunk that says deluxe on it so if one of you much wiser ford guys can set me straight I would greatly appreciate it! 1st pic is in the field, 2nd is loading and the next 2 are at the house.

That is a 46 Business Coupe. The Business Coupe used the same front doors as did the 4-door sedan. The Sedan-Coupe used the same doors as did the Tudor sedan. The Business Coupe had no back seat and a longer trunk for carrying more. The serial number is stamped into the top of the frame in three locations on the driverside. The only one accessible with the body in place is over the front axle ( on the top of the frame) .

Latest posts

Back