Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 05-15-2020, 10:47 PM
Builder Junky!

Thank you guys for cheering me on.
Today I tackled a weird dilemma. There's a downside to running into trees and buildings to stop a truck, when you actually should have fixed the brakes. Sometimes when you're loaded and going a little too fast, you hit the tree too hard and wreck things. Well the old fellow "PO", bent the frame in front of the front crossmember on the drivers side. The first picture is straightening it out again, 7/8". That went along pretty good.
I had a fun time cutting my too long bushings down to size in my hill-billy lathe, the ID and OD were right on. Pic two is a full length bushing and a newly cut one. Pic three is the bushings pressed into the spring eyes and then pried into the hangers and spring pins installed, making the front suspension almost completely finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2445.jpg (104.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2446.jpg (180.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2447.jpg (103.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-15-2020, 11:41 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Torchie
Old 05-16-2020, 08:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I like following along on your projects
Old 05-16-2020, 09:57 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

See a problem. Solve a problem. Nice work Mac.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

keep banging on that old steel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMac View Post
There's a downside to running into trees and buildings to stop a truck, when you actually should have fixed the brakes.

this is a good metaphor!
Old 05-16-2020, 11:13 PM
Builder Junky!

Joe, that was an accidental metaphor, but ya, it could apply to quite a few things in life.
Anyway, I didn't do much on the truck today, more tractory things. I traded a bunch of John Deere tractor parts for a JD three bottom plow.
I did do some finishing up on the suspension. There was a little necessary camouflaging in one spot, removing the original brake line between the two front wheels, and adjusting the toe-in. Now I have very nice camber, good toe-in and poor caster.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:44 PM
Builder Junky!

Rather than rely on a reasonable looking 86 year old brake line between the front wheels I bought a new line and installed it. It feels better already. Then after scouting around for some wedge shims to change the front axle caster angle, I started to take the U-bolts off the springs. This axle is round so the axle cap is welded on. I found that the driver-side wasn't welded anymore, and the centre bolt was broken. The picture is showing the new centre bolt in and tightened and the U-bolts back in place but not tightened, so I can turn the axle when I get the other side to this point, and hopefully put my wedge shims back on the shelf. The caster angle was 0* even when I winched the frame down 2" to simulate a heavier front end. I want at least 4* positive. The embarrassing thing about today was I took a couple of 'partly done' pictures without the film card in the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2449.jpg (71.7 KB, 8 views)
Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM
Builder Junky!

Well, I got the passenger side apart 'pic one' and cleaned up. Then I put it back together and put a big 36" pipe-wrench on the axle and twisted it a wee bit. Actually, I didn't need that big of a wrench as it turned out, the axle twisted easily. It's now set at about 5* positive caster 'pic two' and the 'U' bolts are tightened up. I tack welded the saddles to the axle and painted it ultra flat dark brown to look like I never touched it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2450.jpg (84.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2451.jpg (61.7 KB, 9 views)