Do your legs really go there???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christcrusader13

Zip-Tie Mechanic
This photo amazes me...

191420.jpg

1st time I looked in a digger as a boy... I knew that was NOT for me! I like my parts too much but I have to give it to the krazy kats who strapped themselves in & went for it! :eek:

BoB

I acquired this thing a few years back. (It's a real deal '60's slingshot, however poorly "improved" over the years. :mad:)

Careful sanding of the cowl panel revealed a hand-painted name and it reads, "Ball Breaker Express". My wife thinks she wants to drive and I wholeheartedly agree... she fits better than I and ring gear aside, the title fits perfectly. [ddd

Last edited:
It's called "nostalgia for a reason, they had really big one back then. this is my brothers bucket project and his niece can't wait for it to get done, and boy can she sweet talk when she wants something big. [cl

20140807_132139-Copy_zps77f8b605.jpg

She sure fits better than most of us would.....

Plus look a whole lot better getting in and out....lol...:D They'd have to pry me out after each run....:eek:

Oh come on.....

No guts no glory.....lol....I don't think that there is a seat in that rig right now but....nope, I value my gahonee's and legs too much for that ride....

No guts no glory.....lol....I don't think that there is a seat in that rig right now but....nope, I value my gahonee's and legs too much for that ride....
My thoughts too sgt... if that thing was to rip out of that soft aluminum housing it would be all over with ..Well It looks like an aluminum housing ..

That's why your "gear" is called "junk". Once that pumpkin explodes your car and your man hood are "junk"! [cl

all im seeing is the blown hemi..........

I fold my legs up, and risk the man parts for a lash at a 1/4 in that puppy

ooooh yeah

My thoughts too sgt... if that thing was to rip out of that soft aluminum housing it would be all over with

The axle housing is thick steel, not aluminum. The axles are usually 35 or 40 spline units attached to spools - not open spider gears. This stuff was purpose-built for high horsepower racing and used as such for a long time. These weren't 50 year old rusted worn out junkyard rigs. It's not street equipment. Yes, there is inherent danger with racing, but it's funny how so many unknowing people are "scared about their junk" when they look inside a FED.

If you sit in the pits with a FED, every third person that comes by gawking makes mention of the tender area issue, particularly when they peek inside and see the 1/4" nut plate. This reminds me of hearing some seasoned old timers talk on the subject at Hot Rod Reunion. The bottom line of the conversation was that NONE of these guys had knowledge of ANY drivers being injured by shrapnel exiting the differential. Plenty of other things to worry about on these cars...

I agree with BED. I was around drag racing in the late 50's and 60's. Never saw or heard of a rear end exploding and destroying the driver's tender bits.

The story exists about the Bud, Don & John's Guzzler dragster from Chicago that had the rear axle housing break loose and spin thereby seriously injuring the driver in his nether region. I can't verify this story however.

There was lots of other ways to get hurt or die in early slingshots, however.

Latest posts

Back