Willys Wagon Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!

I'm going to buy this Willys wagon. Making a comfortable car out of it. 4" chop, sbc, OD automatic. Maybe a S10 chassis, maybe a custom made frame with a MII front suspension.

I've been looking at Willys wagons on Youtube and looking for pics of chopped, lowered two wheel drive examples. If any of you come across pics, post them here. Thank you.

Found one...

dtylerjeep-jpg.214234

torque fest 2016 020.jpg
Not a wagon .. but the roof is chopped 4 inches & is removable ... on a s10 std frame with lowering blocks in rear .
About 3 yrs. ago I was looking for a wagon body to make in to a kinda tear drop camper .... chopped 4 inches alter the front put a trailing axle under it
deep tint on the glass (maybe ) still thinkin about it ... would make a really cool little camper and tow behind the p/u .... Old Willys Rock !!!

Attachments

• slammed willys.jpg
    slammed willys.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 35
  • slammed willys 2.jpg
    slammed willys 2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 48
  • slammed willys 1.jpg
    slammed willys 1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 46
Thanks for the pics guys. The owner says I don't have to pick it up right away. Probably won't start on it this year. Just collect parts. i like your pick up Whyworry. FBP, I've seen the AMC powered wagon in the video in person last summer and have been watching all three videos for ideas. The guy is a really good fabricator.

skull, there's a panel just like that one on the Minneapolis Craigslist for about 2 grand. More than I want to spend and I want a back seat and windows.

Dr.C, I've slowed down measurably. I WILL finish the Renault and Bantam before starting on this project.

A nice body style for sure! There was one at a little hotrod get-together that I went to a few weeks ago that was done up real nice. Two-tone tan and cream color and obviously on a different chassis with SBC in it. Didn't get to talk to the guy, but liked it a lot! I've seen a few around for sale, as well as the more car-like convertible (model name escapes me at the moment) that I've had thoughts about, but still a bit hesitant to take on more than I can handle (again?). There is a collection of parts out back for a future rat or rod, but the wrong time of year for it here in the Valley of the Way Too Dang Hot Sun.

I have tried a Willys on an S10, the steering gear is right in the grille if you want good wheel placement. A newer ranger chassis with rack and pinion would be easier.

What about your Dakota frame, Todd? I was concerned about the S10 frame for the reason you cited. Also, I suspect the rear springs are too long behind the axle.

I'll probably build a frame with a MII front and coil spring rear.

I am also starting to gather parts for a Willys Wagon build, but I think I am using the 43 military truck frame from my last hotrod project. Mine will be a 4x4. I have a friend with a wagon who has a nova front clip and is a two wheel drive project.

I've been eye balling a 49 wagon at a friend's house for a 4x4 project. If it is a 49 or older you can register it as a street rod here in NH and then you aren't subject to the frame height or fender laws...I was thinking D60's with 42" tires and my spare 396 BBC...[cl

What about your Dakota frame, Todd? I was concerned about the S10 frame for the reason you cited. Also, I suspect the rear springs are too long behind the axle.

I'll probably build a frame with a MII front and coil spring rear.

We didn't measure that since it was wider and the S10 width was good. The earlier ranger was good too, but the steering gear is still a bugger.

outside again (12) 3-16-15.jpg

A few thoughts Bob W on mine the front wheels are back aprox. 2- 3 inches the gear box works for this because had to extend hood & fenders for the rad. & fan for the 460 in it . Also moved the rear fenders forward to center wheels
also rear end for a 2wd is shorter on a 2wd vs 4x4 ...used spacers to get proper width .
On a wagon if you want ft wheels in same placement you may run into problems ... same goes for the rear ...maybe a ext cab frame would work better . I did run into a fellow at B.T.T. 50s who had a willys on a Dakota frame
he was surprised by the suspension on mine (his was like a rock ) .. I put the biggest stock springs in the frt. ...he also skinned the rood with a Dakota roof ,it really flattened it out .....The one in Iowa I know nothing about ... just thought you might find it interesting .... best of luck

Heheh! I like the hauling charge...."I can deliver it if necessary for a handle (thats the big bottle) of Jack Daniels or a Gallon of moonshine. rat rod, project, jeep, vintage..."

Latest posts

Back